+P and Hollowpoints in Taurus Mil Pro

PDA

dubious
August 14, 2007, 10:11 PM
Hi folks... I was just wondering what the verdict is on +P and Hollowpoints with the Mil Pros? Are +Ps tearing up these guns? Are Hollowpoints failing to feed? I've heard mixed reports and some mention of Taurus saying +P is OK as long as its under SAAMI specifications. Is this true?

I've got a 3rd gen. I have fired mostly FMJ out of mine and have never had a failure to fire. I don't think I've fired a +P (but I might have), but I have fired probably 20 or 30 hollowpoints with no problem. I keep it loaded with FMJ target loads right now since I don't yet trust its reliability with HPs.

If you enjoyed reading about "+P and Hollowpoints in Taurus Mil Pro" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jeepmor
August 14, 2007, 10:19 PM
Hollow points feed with total reliability in my two Mil Pros. A PT145 for me, and PT111 for my wife.

A steady diet of +Ps will wear out the pistol faster than non +P ammo, but it shouldn't blow up in your hands or anything immediately, it'll just wear accelerate the wear on the aluminum rails in the frame. Having 2K rounds through my PT145, I can see notable wear on the aluminum rails. The anodization on rails at the high stress areas is essentially gone. Pistol still works great however.

Mot45acp
August 15, 2007, 01:58 AM
+P's on a MIL PRO?
NO
Your recoil spring will start to push out the hole that you guide rod goes through. I have also hears of it poking out the hole that the barrel goes through.

DawgFvr
August 15, 2007, 02:40 AM
No to +P. Recommend the 160 grain Corbon DPX for that short barrel PT145 if you want consistent bullet expansion. Light and fast for the short barrels...that's the ticket.

The Lone Haranguer
August 16, 2007, 02:00 AM
I can't answer the +P ammo question, but IMO any handgun of modern design had better be able to feed modern defensive hollowpoint ammunition. If it feeds OK with most loads but does not like, for example, a particular bullet shape, that can be forgiven. If it will not feed any hollowpoints, it will be repaired or gotten rid of. The best way to determine this is to test a prospective carry load in your gun to establish reliability.

With my personal Glock 19, it would feed reliably with FMJ ammo but, due to a magazine follower design flaw, would fail to feed the last round of a hollowpoint. (This was repairable and I still have the gun.) So it definitely pays to do this testing.

If you enjoyed reading about "+P and Hollowpoints in Taurus Mil Pro" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!