Why can't I find a simple sling? (A rant.)

PDA

Average Guy
August 15, 2007, 01:03 AM
I have an A2-style AR. I wanted a simple two-point sling for it. Not a single-point like I have on my M4gery. Not a three-point like I have on my shotguns. Just a regular black piece of polypropylene or nylon that's 1" to 1.25" wide that doesn't have sling swivels already permanently sewn on. I went to a couple of gun stores in Vegas and they had the superduper tactical whatever-point and Chalker slings, but no plain ones. Walmart and my local shooting sports place had the Super Sling 2 and the Bianchi Cobra and several more, but could I find a simple two-point sling that didn't have a bunch of other stuff I don't want or need? No.

I wanted a sling like I had in the Marine Corps. You know we didn't have fancy slings in the Suck, at least not back in the late '80s.

In my sundries bag, I managed to find a long-enough piece of 1" black nylon webbing with plastic adjusters on it. I don't remember where I got it. It's not comfortable, it doesn't stretch, it doesn't have loops for extra ammo, and it doesn't self-adjust.

It's just what I was looking for.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why can't I find a simple sling? (A rant.)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoppy590
August 15, 2007, 01:10 AM
ok. one of my t53's has a sling made from 3 old cotton belts
same idea. using leather bits to tie through sling slots

TehK1w1
August 15, 2007, 01:31 AM
I had the same problem, I finally found one at Gander Mountain, made by Uncle Mike's of all people.

Nematocyst
August 15, 2007, 01:38 AM
Two words:

Quake claw (http://www.quakeinc.com/sling8.html).

aaronrkelly
August 15, 2007, 02:30 AM
Last time I ordered a AR rifle kit from Model 1 Sales I added a used GI rifle sling for $3 - its exactly what your describing.

1 piece of webbing with 2 buckles....thats it.

Blackhawk also makes one, I bought mine from Midway for $8.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=133312&t=11082005

...but they are out of stock.

goon
August 15, 2007, 08:30 AM
PM me with your shipping information and I'll PM you my address back. I have a sling just like you describe somewhere (it might take just a little searching though) that I have never even taken out of the package. You can have it for the cost of shipping. It will probably be the beginning of next week at the earliest though.

If you buy one in the mean time, the ones from uncle mikes are functional. Also, check the surplus stores out to find a USGI M-16 or M-14 sling. I use them. They are simple and durable.

Howard Roark
August 15, 2007, 08:40 AM
I have these slings in leather and biothane. They are top notch.
Rant no more:

http://www.turnersling.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TS&Product_Code=NMSRAWS&Category_Code=NSRS

The Annoyed Man
August 15, 2007, 09:13 AM
It's just what I was looking for.Excellent and entertaining rant, Average Guy.

But, I have a question...

Preface:
I've done about 99.98% of my shooting from a bench, and I never bothered with a sling. After I bought my Rem. 700 VSF, I also purchased a sling because I thought I might take up hunting soon. (I know that a heavy barreled rifle like my VSF is a pain in the ass to hump around the countryside with, but I'm on a budget, so buying an additional sporter rifle wasn't really an option at the time.) The sling was whatever my local gunsmith recommended. It's a plain black Uncle Mike's (I think) nylon web sling, about 1" wide, with a pad on it that has a few cartridge loops on the reverse side. It came without the swivel attachments. I had to buy those separately. I still haven't actually used it, and it has been mounted to my rifle only once just to see how it works.

My Question:
Why would you not care if the sling is comfortable?

I know, I know. It's a novice question... but why? I'm only asking from a perspective of practicality and eager to learn.

jzimm9mm
August 15, 2007, 11:29 AM
I just bought four M14 take-off slings (vg-ex condition) from Fred. They are all in great shape. Simple design, yet can be used in a manner similar to the 1907 sling. Hard to beat for under $10.

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/

Jer..

dstorm1911
August 15, 2007, 12:16 PM
military surplus USG1 M16 Silent slings .99 cents each from Centerfire, Cheaper than dirt etc...

awilson0407
August 15, 2007, 12:20 PM
I wanted a sling like I had in the Marine Corps. You know we didn't have fancy slings in the Suck, at least not back in the late '80s.

Mike Miller at Tactical Intervention has the current contract with the USMC for all of their rifle slings. I ordered one through Brownells and it came with two different swivels (Uncle Mike's QD types) so I e-mailed Mike and he is sending me two Milspec Uncle Mike Heavy Duty upgrade swivels as replacements. I can't recommend him highly enough!

http://www.tacticalintervention.com

Matt-man
August 15, 2007, 01:53 PM
If you want to get fancy with your basic sling, there's the Wilderness Basic Carry sling (http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=1_11) for twelve bucks.

dscottw88
August 15, 2007, 03:38 PM
Best sling money can buy. I own a few of these because I like the quick adjust on them. Doesn't hurt to take a look at these guys, they know what they are doing. https://www.rockymountaintactical.net/?page=shop/browse&category=tacticalslings_2pointquickadjustslings&

The Deer Hunter
August 15, 2007, 04:39 PM
I want one of those tan leather slings with the holes in it, but right now I have a Butler Creek neoprene one thats pretty comfortable.

SnakeEater
August 15, 2007, 05:50 PM
Get a shooting sling, not some el-crapo padded carry sling. The GI sling is ok, but the Turner AWS is a huge upgrade.

ECVMatt
August 15, 2007, 10:06 PM
http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=1_11

it is very siple and very strong.

Matt

ROMAK IV
August 15, 2007, 10:09 PM
I don't care for nylon slings so I either grab extra AK of HGarand slings when I can.

22-rimfire
August 15, 2007, 10:20 PM
Uncle Mikes makes a plain one in nylon. There are several others. I was shopping at Sportsman Warehouse for slings recently and was looking for a simple "military sling". After intially seeing only the padded slings, tactical slings etc. I noticed they sold several leather ones 1" and 1.25" wide and nylon ones as well. You just have to shop a bit. I didn't buy one as I was undecided whether I wanted a black leather or brown leather one for a rifle with a composite (black) stock and stainless hardware.

Gator
August 15, 2007, 10:30 PM
Goon made you a nice offer! And there is always the unfriendly eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USGI-Black-Nylon-Silent-SLING-for-223-Rifle_W0QQitemZ270155491938QQihZ017QQcategoryZ73977QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That Wilderness sling looks nice though...

Mot45acp
August 16, 2007, 12:02 AM
CDNN has em for $3 or $4 Whenever I order I always get 3 or 4 just in case.

www.cdnninvestments.com/slings.html

Average Guy
August 16, 2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks, all, for the great information. As always, THR members go above and beyond!

My Question:

Because Jarheads don't go for no namby-pamby wishy-washy comfy padded slings! :cuss:

Kidding. Because, as you mentioned, I'm mostly shooting from a bench. The sling is purely utilitarian. The less going on, the better. Of course, the first time I wear the thing for any length of time, I'll be scrambling for something with a pad. Especially after the Zombie Apocalypse, when I'll have to carry 24/7.

sscoyote
August 16, 2007, 03:03 AM
I don't use slings for shooting in any offhand position really as i'm a specialty pistol shooter mostly. But what i do with my slings i've never seen done before. I just get the basic K-Wal-mart slings with 1" webbing, and install a Fastex snap in them just like u would see on a backpack belt, as it functions the same way. It's very simple to do, and adds a trememdous amt. of flexibilty to carrying the sling in any position, even prone (or on all fours)crawling when the rig needs to be tight to the body to keep the barrel from contacting the ground. The snap acts as a quick system to get the rig off of your body without having to contort from prone, and it's a wonderful quick easy to do modification. Make sure u sew up the end of the webbing so it doesn't slip thru the male end of the snap.

ogree
August 16, 2007, 03:36 AM
Average Guy,

Find a local outdoor supply store that sells nylon strap by the foot, they usually also sell an assortment of plastic fasteners & buckles and so on.
Put one together.........it will probably be cheaper than a product already manufactured & packaged as a sling and will be what you want cause you will decide on the specifications, not some manufacturer.

TimboKhan
August 16, 2007, 03:40 AM
My Question:

I am not answering for Average Guy, especially since he just answered for himself, but from my point of view comfort is relative to function.

I too am a inactive Marine, and I too grew to love the simple, functional strip of nylon we called a sling. All but two of my rifles are equipped thus, more or less, and the two that aren't have leather 1903-type slings. I find each of them comfortable enough for general use, and should the mood strike me, I can sling up pretty well with all of them.

Neoprene slings, on the other hand, vex me. I don't like the feeling of my rifle bouncing while I walk, and I don't like it when the sling stretches if I sling up as opposed to cutting off circulation. Sounds a little masochistic, but there it is...

tank mechanic
August 16, 2007, 10:03 AM
This is going to be a really expensive option for the sling but when i bought my Bushmaster xm15 it came with the el cheapo web sling. A good excuse to go buy another rifle:evil:

The Annoyed Man
August 17, 2007, 03:37 PM
Of course, the first time I wear the thing for any length of time, I'll be scrambling for something with a pad. Especially after the Zombie Apocalypse, when I'll have to carry 24/7.There's gonna be a Zombie Apocalypse? Oh goody goody goody! How come I didn't get the memo?

:D

jpwilly
August 18, 2007, 12:01 AM
Try Wal Mart!

Jimmy Newman
August 18, 2007, 12:16 AM
The other reason not to use a "comfortable" (i.e. padded) sling is that some people wrap the sling around their offhand arm when shooting unsupported to help get a little more stability. It doesn't work very well with most of the padded ones.

Also, even with good padded two point slings, it's just not very comfortable to carry a slung long arm (for me at least, with the tradition sling location).

Coltdriver
August 19, 2007, 05:13 PM
You can make a great sling for under $8.

Go to your local back pack store. An REI or something similar.

Get 10 Feet of webbing, your choice on the length. The 2 inch stuff is .40 cents a foot. Buy a couple of webbing buckles or keepers. About a buck a pair.

Viola! My AR sling is from this and I went to the trouble of making an adjustable that can double as a side sling or as a regular sling.

Sistema1927
August 19, 2007, 05:56 PM
Post 29 beat me to the punch. Make your own. Web strapping is cheap, as are the buckles and keepers. If you don't have an REI, you might have some other store that caters to climbers. I think that you can also get what you need at Sportsman's Warehouse.

RH822
August 19, 2007, 07:02 PM
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=538350B&chrSuperSKU=538350&MC=

Gun parts corp. GI issue

Spiggy
August 19, 2007, 08:10 PM
average guy, where in Orange County are you located?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why can't I find a simple sling? (A rant.)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!