Anyone in town (Nashville and surroundings) for the 4th?

PDA

Sheslinger
July 3, 2003, 02:10 PM
How about getting together this weekend for an outdoor range shoot and maybe a cookout?

Sheslinger

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone in town (Nashville and surroundings) for the 4th?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Betty
July 3, 2003, 02:13 PM
Sounds good to me.

Sunday I'm having most of the family tree over, because grandma proclaims it necessary that we all gather at least once a month. :uhoh: I'm piling sandbags out front.

Bowlcut
July 3, 2003, 04:31 PM
Darrin and I are going to a co-workers friday for the festivities and massive ammounts of explosives he tends to buy around this time of the year ;). But im down for the weekend thats for sure. I was thinking about it anyway as Ive got 2 .22's ive yet to shoot, one needing to be scoped in a little bit. Hopefully its not blazing hot. But Im down for whatever. I wont speak for Darrin and hes not here right now, so Id say hes a maybe. Anyone with a pool ? :D even tho me with no shirt probaly isn't anyones idea of a good time... :scrutiny:

Bowlcut
July 3, 2003, 08:45 PM
and runt were you and oleg pulling out of the krogers at nippers coner at like 5:30? if so i turned in right as you were pulling out :D

i may have one non thr member interested in going, hes not hugely into guns but isnt some liberal friend of mine or anything :D

Betty
July 3, 2003, 09:44 PM
:uhoh:

Yep, that was us. :p

Bowlcut
July 3, 2003, 10:05 PM
knowing you didnt know me from a distance really i didnt honk or anything....just saw oleg and was like....that looks like his pics....and saw the dark hair of yours. LOL dont worry just live up the road from that kroger so had to swing in for stuff for tomorrows festivities.

We on for shooting sometime this week, anyone, buler, buler, anyone.? unless i decide im still too broke ill be at cheatam county range more than likely saturday sometime. or it is just too hot and miserable

OEF_VET
July 3, 2003, 11:36 PM
My fiancee and I were already planning to go shooting this weekend, so I'm definitly down with a THR get-together. Someone going to take the iniative and organize it? T'was Sheslinger's idea, so I nominate her for the job. I look forward to meeting ya'll.

Frank

Sheslinger
July 4, 2003, 12:45 AM
Cslinger will research the ranges and let you know sometime tomorrow. Hopefully, Owl Hollow will be open Saturday. Afterwards, we can just have go back to our place and have some munchies.

Stay safe tomorrow...don't set the neighbors' house on fire...

Sheslinger

Tamara
July 4, 2003, 01:26 AM
Er, actually I'm not only 175 miles away (about 2.5 hours as the Beemer flies), but I completely forgot to buy any fireworks today. :uhoh:

Oh, well; I still have 20 rounds of 5.56 M200 blanks here, and I'm pretty sure if I go shake one of the ALICE packs in my closet upside-down that a BFA will fall out that I can mount on my Daewoo or Beretta. That and some smoke bombs from the convenience store down the street, plus the few 12ga magnesium flares I have on hand, and I should be good to go. :D

cslinger
July 5, 2003, 01:27 AM
Ok, the good news is the range is open. The bad news is I pulled my back in some way shape or form today and I can barely move so I don't think we will be lugging any guns going shooting.

Sorry for being a gun tease.

Chris

Bowlcut
July 5, 2003, 03:35 AM
well sit there with some ice and heating pad on it i guess. darrin said he is too broke and already shot up all his .22's. i shouldnt spend anymore money if i can and if its like hot hot i dont want to get back out in it, already spent all day today in 90 degree heat no fun

QuickDraw
July 5, 2003, 12:49 PM
Hey Y'all,
I'm in.If I leave now,I ought to be there around Tuesday.:D

QuickDraw

Betty
July 5, 2003, 01:45 PM
Sorry about your back, cslinger. :(

There's always a next time for a THR shootout. :)

Darrin
July 5, 2003, 07:19 PM
Since I've already been spoken for :rolleyes:, how about rescheduling for the 12th?

Bowlcut
July 5, 2003, 07:38 PM
For some reason I am thinking someone asked me to do something that weekend....not sure tho. Sounds good for me at this moment tho. As we both will have gotten paid by then ;). I currently do have enough 7.62x54 to have a fun day tho. Id still like to meet a few more people from here tho.

glockten
July 5, 2003, 08:20 PM
I'm open for the 12th; are we talking Owl Hollow, Cheatham, or where?

Betty
July 5, 2003, 08:49 PM
The 12th sounds good to me. I hope it's at Owl Hollow.

If Bowlcut's bringing 7.62x54, I'll bring my Mosin and some more ammo. I don't know what else I'll bring.

Darrin
July 5, 2003, 11:48 PM
What does Owl Hollow offer for shotgun fun? I'd love to try some skeet. (um, no cameras, please. :uhoh: ) :)

OEF_VET
July 6, 2003, 06:35 AM
I've already blown through quite a bit of ammo (ergo, money) the last two weekends, but I'm up for it. I'm sure I can scrape together some more ammo. Hopefully I'll be sporting my new Mossberg by then, and will be able to show off what should be a beautiful piece of equipment. If we're shooting 7.62x54, I'll bring my M44 and ya'll can feel what they're like once you tame the recoil a bit.

Frank

Bowlcut
July 6, 2003, 10:57 AM
Yea Darrin has been going on and on about how little your's kicks. I dont think mine is that bad tho. But we have been talking about going to an out door range for a while just for that....bring out the war buddies. I really need to pick up another something or other sometime. Like the milsurp stuff a lot :D

twoblink
July 6, 2003, 01:07 PM
QuickDraw,

When I went to TN, I took the I10 route. I got to NM by midnight, I got to Houston by the next day. stayed a day there, and then went to TN, got there by about 8:30pm that night.

So you'd have no problems reaching there by Tuesday. :D

Runt, did Grandma know she was sitting on about 3000+ rounds of ammo?:p

Sheslinger
July 6, 2003, 02:30 PM
Darrin, there is no skeet shooting, sorry, it's just a 25-50-100 yard range with a pistol range next to it. The annual charge is $40/family, and guests can shoot for $5/visit.

If Cheatham county range sounds better, we can do that.

Cslinger is going to try IDPA on the 12th. Would Sunday the 13th work for anyone instead?

Twoblink, how long would it take you to get here, I wonder? When are you coming back anyway? Hasn't it been a year?

Sheslinger

glockten
July 6, 2003, 03:43 PM
The 13th and Owl Hollow are fine by me.

Bowlcut
July 6, 2003, 04:38 PM
now that i think about it .... sunday wouldnt be bad. i just gota be in mt juliet at 5pm. free dinner....cant turn that sorta thing down ya know ;) when its usualy a steak or chop of some sorts atleast

Darrin
July 6, 2003, 05:08 PM
Saturday or Sunday if fine by me. What's the pistol range like? Cheatham is 25-50-100 and that's it. If you want a shorter distance, you have to bring your own target stand. It's free, but in BFE, TN.

Chris, where ya trying IDPA? Need some additional support?

twoblink
July 7, 2003, 03:46 AM
Sheslinger..

Let me see..

LA --> NM = 12 hours
NM --> El Paso = 12 hours
El Paso --> Houston = 14 hours (I think)
Houston --> Dallas = 6 hours
Dallas --> Oleg and Runt's.. = 10 hours..

So total..

54 hours and some change... 3 hours of that was waiting in traffic in Arkan-Clinton-Saws..
:rolleyes: Lousy presidents and lousy roads from that state..

I'll be back in Sept 2004..

But not going back to the PRK.. Probably Oregon or NV.

Moparmike
July 7, 2003, 04:18 AM
You mean to tell me that you didnt know that the Arkansas State Motto (and state lie) is: "Men Working"? Hell, our state flower is the "Orange Cone", state animal is the "Orange Sawhorse", etc. I dont guarantee unobstructed roads from day to day with the local University of Parking & Transit (UofA).

twoblink
July 7, 2003, 07:29 AM
Mopar,..

hehehe..

I stopped at some small town to gas up, and guess what it was?? Home Town of Clinton!!

I stopped at McDonalds to grab a bite, saw all 6 Sheriffs sittin' there. All of them in the entire state. I told them, your roads are a mess. They smiled, tipped their hat, and said.. "Yep.. you must be from out of town, boy!" and laughed..

I thought CalTrans was bad.. ArkanTrans can give CalTrans a run for their money :barf:

"Men NOT Working"..

Moparmike
July 7, 2003, 09:03 AM
Which home town? Fayetteville? Hope? Hot Springs? Little Rock? BumfV(k, Ar? Seems like he lived everywhere. Maybe is only where he had State Troopers stop random hot women while he was in the back seat (ever seen that episod of SNL? its not far from the truth)

OEF_VET
July 7, 2003, 09:24 PM
From the looks of my work schedule for this coming weekend, I will most likely be able to make it. Problem is, I don't really know how to get to Owl Hollow. If someone could please post directions, I'd really appreciate it.

thanx,
Frank

Darrin
July 7, 2003, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I'll have to tag along with or follow someone myself. I haven't a clue how to get to Owl Hollow.

Maybe we can get the Slingers to paint their SUV yellow and drive around and pick us all up? I have yellow paint... :evil: ;)

glockten
July 8, 2003, 12:19 AM
From Nashville, take I-65 South to the Goose Creek exit. This is the next exit after the main Franklin exit at Hwy. 96. Go right (west) on Rt. 248 for about a mile. There's an intersection with US 431 (Lewisburg Pike); go left (south) on that road for about seven miles. Owl Hollow Rd. will be on the right. The range is, IIRC, about 1.5 miles down that road, on the left.

Sheslinger
July 8, 2003, 12:23 AM
We can just all meet at our place and follow each other unless Hermitage is too out of your way.

Sheslinger

Bowlcut
July 8, 2003, 01:14 AM
Anyone on the west or south east site are welcome to meet here at my place. Im only about 5 mins from I65, and probaly 10-15 from I24...right between the two, at nippers corner basicly. Im at exit 74 so decent stoping point. Another coworker said he will likely be able to make it. Know he will come down to my place before treking to Owl Hollow. If anyone is in the hickory hollow/anitock, brentwood, west end, berry hill or north...are welcome to meet here. People coming form the east appear could be meet the 'slinger's, maybe meet up down here or right off exit 64 at the gas station there. afterwards....who knows what

Moparmike
July 8, 2003, 02:06 AM
I would love to come and visit, but I work a weekend schedule and cant really add quite that much to my gas card as well.

Hope everyone has fun!

PS: For you that live in Nashville, does any of you know a Kelly Wommack or Nancy Smith?

OEF_VET
July 8, 2003, 11:06 AM
Just one more question and it looks like things will be set: What time are we meeting? Darrin, if you need a ride, give me directions to your place, and I could swing by and grab ya.

Betty
July 8, 2003, 11:18 AM
Sunday sounds good to me! Somebody email me or give me a call.

Any requests on what guns to bring?

Darrin
July 8, 2003, 11:21 AM
Any requests on what guns to bring? *cough*cough*cough*steyr*cough*cough*cough*cough* :evil:

Frank, I live about 10 minutes from the Slingers, I'll probably just meet up with them.

davidtdm
July 8, 2003, 11:32 AM
If we haven't come up with a time, can I suggest early afternoon? 12ish 1ish?

...Dave

glockten
July 8, 2003, 01:05 PM
Any requests on what guns to bring?

How about that M82A1 you posed with a couple of months ago?:)

cslinger
July 9, 2003, 05:00 PM
Ok lets talk about logistics.

Owl Hollow at 1 O'Clock on Sunday.
http://www.owlhollowgunclub.org/
Directions
http://www.owlhollowgunclub.org/ohgcmaps.html

If you are not a member the cost is $5.00 for each guest to be paid up at the Texas Chainsaw Massacre house.....if you have been there you will know what I mean.

DavidTDM, Darrin and possibly a friend will be meeting us at our place and we will drive them. We can fit 5 people and gear or take two cars.

If anybody else wants to meet us at our place PM me for directions to either our house or a nearby easy location to find.

I will probably only bring the AR-15 and Remington 870 for Darrin. I may bring the Mosin Nagent too. I am not sure what Sheslinger will bring, I am guessing the M1 Carbine.

If anybody wants to shoot anything in particular I will be happy to bring anything as long as you are willing to feed it.

All targets must be cardboard or clay. Cardboard must be placed in the target holders.

Keep all the rounds in the berms. If you want to shoot fast or full auto that is fine as long as you can keep ALL rounds in the berm. I know this goes without saying but it never hurts to say it.

I think that about covers it. If anybody has any questions let me know.

Chris

Sheslinger
July 9, 2003, 05:11 PM
The M1 Garand and M1 Carbine are coming.

Sheslinger

Darrin
July 9, 2003, 05:18 PM
Ooh, I want to try the AR-15. I've never shot one.

cslinger
July 9, 2003, 05:22 PM
One AR-15 side order of .223 coming up.:D

OEF_VET
July 9, 2003, 07:36 PM
I intend to bring the following:
SAR-1
Mosin-Nagant M44
Yugo 8mm Mauser
AR-7
Marlin Model 60
cricket .22 single shot
At least 1, hopefully 2 Mossberg 500's
S&W 686 .357
Ruger P89
Lorcin .22
CVA 1851 Navy .44BP

I can also furnish, upon request:
Glock 22
Astra A-70 (SA .40)
Kel-Tec P32
M-1 Carbine w/ Red Dot scope
Arisaka Type 99 (be forewarned ammo isn't cheap)
Swede Mauser

Sheslinger, would it be cool if I just paid you for any '06 rounds I fired through the Garand, rather than buying a whole box?

Frank

cslinger
July 9, 2003, 08:04 PM
If you only want to put a few rounds through it that's no big deal. I was mainly talking about any of the other guns that people may want to shoot that we don't or will not have ammo for.

Chris

Darrin
July 9, 2003, 08:49 PM
Frank, Bring the Astra and the Glock, please. :cool:

My limited selection (for those that didn't get my PM):
Astra A-90 9mm
Walther P22 .22lr
Mossberg 590 12 gauge

I can bring my Winchester bolt .22lr, but only if requested. It seems we'll have plenty of toys out there. :D

Sheslinger
July 9, 2003, 09:35 PM
I am sure I will have enough 30-06 for everyone. Cslinger meant to bring ammo if you wanted us to bring the guns that we have no ammo for.

I am sure we will have plenty for the Garand.

Sheslinger

glockten
July 10, 2003, 12:37 AM
Chris,

Do they still keep cardboard in the shack out there, or do we need to bring some?

Darrin
July 10, 2003, 12:49 AM
Do they still keep cardboard in the shack out there, or do we need to bring some? If so, let bowcut or I know. I think we have some PC boxes at work we could snatch. Maybe even monitor boxes. I'll check tomorrow.

Sheslinger
July 10, 2003, 12:53 AM
I have never seen them keep cardboard there. What usually works really well is if you have some heavy cardboard or plastic, we usually use it as backing and tape some white paper plates to it. It's more visible at 50 yards and we just switch plates as needed and reuse the backing for several sessions.

Sheslinger

glockten
July 10, 2003, 12:59 AM
I can bring some also, if necessary.

My tentative battery for Sunday:
.44 Mag Desert Eagle
Armalite AR-10A2
Remington 700BDL .30-06
Marlin 1895
Glock 29

Bowlcut
July 10, 2003, 01:28 AM
Well me and Darrin will snag a few computer boxes and such, we probaly can supply most everyone. I know I have to get 4 17" monitors and 2 more pcs out of storage so thats quiet a bit of cardboard. And we will keep an eye out for it for the week too.

Ill be bringing

Mosin-Nagant m44
Hi Point Carbine
Marlin m1 model99 22. rifle
Winchester 22 bolt
SW99 .40s&w

So everything I own :D . Anyone is welcome to anything. And you can shoot the Hi Point with its red dot without worries we dont tell on anyone for shooting it and likeing it ;). I should have plenty of ammo for most everything that if someone wants to shoot something just speak up...ask me I dont care at all. I would like to play with the ar-15 been a while...ill probaly pick up a box so I dont waste any. Wouldnt mind shooting once or twice most the rest of the war buddies too :). Oh and the D-Eagle...only held one, yea yea....but dad never got into guns big and Im just a baby...

Oh i really need this session, been almost a month since I have shot, really feeling the stress buliding up.

cslinger
July 10, 2003, 10:13 AM
Dear God in Heaven you have a Desert Eagle. Davidtdm is going to have an orgas........ahhhh religious experience. :D

I will make sure to tell him to bring some .44 as I am sure he will want to put a round or two through it if you wouldn't mind.

Sometimes they have cardbored sometimes they don't. The best stuff we have found to use is heavy black foam board that you buy for crafts and such. We got ours at Walmart. It is re-usable many, many times and cuts reasonably nicely.

Darrin, if you bring any cardboard make sure you flatten it out so we have room to haul everything.

Chris

davidtdm
July 10, 2003, 12:19 PM
<Homer Voice on> mmm Desert Eagle</Homer Voice off>

Yes, Dave would most defenatly would like to put a few rounds through. (Note to self, go get some.44 mags at lunch)

I'll probably bring...
-My newest addition to the family...Beretta Tomcat ( I know, anti-climatic for the outdoor range. But it is so cute)
-The AK
-The Mauser
-and the "EBR" aka: Sportorized Nagant
- can't forget the Boomstick

...Dave

glockten
July 10, 2003, 01:34 PM
Well sure, you can shoot the DE! Just get ready to grin! :D

davidtdm
July 10, 2003, 03:05 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Just practicing:neener:

...Dave

Darrin
July 11, 2003, 05:51 PM
Bowlcut and I grabbed a few boxes today, not a large amount, but some. If anyone else has some, bring 'em.

Bowlcut
July 11, 2003, 06:24 PM
Hey cslinger...rod is requesting the p7 make an apperance. he has a box of 9mm he doesnt have anything to shoot it with. And being yet another stuck up h&k owner he would like to try the p7....dang usp owners ya know...

Bowlcut
July 11, 2003, 06:29 PM
Oh yea...if i can id like to shoot some of the m1's and the ar-15. im going to go ahead and pick up some .223 and .30-06 so i dont feel as im mooching too much off ya :p . Id like to squeeze one round though that .44mag D-Eagle if I can. Rest of the guns ill likely have ammo for anyway. So going to go make a stop at Acadamy Sports tomorrow more than likely...Darrin be saying they have decent prices for ammo.

OEF_VET
July 12, 2003, 05:25 AM
I've decided to bring most of the collection out afterall. I've just got to make an appearance at the gunshow Saturday morning to pick up some more ammo though. Pretty much the only weapons I don't have ammo for that I'd care to shoot would be sheslingers Garand and glockten's D-E. I can't afford to buy an entire box of .44, but would like to shoot it, if bumming a round or two won't be a problem. The only weapons I'm VERY short of ammo for are the Swede Mauser (6.5x55) and the Arisaka (7.7 Jap - VERY expensive).

Frank

Bowlcut
July 12, 2003, 01:26 PM
Oh I hear ya. Why im going to be heading to the gun show here in a few myself. Think meeting up with Darrin around 1ish at our office. So if anyone is at the gun show today and sees probaly the largest guy you have ever seen in a yellow tshirt that says big daddy...thats me. darrin is the scrawny guy beside me.... sorry dude cant say the long haired hippy person anymore ;)

Sheslinger
July 12, 2003, 02:33 PM
What happened to Darrin's hair?

We will bring the P7 and will have extra Garand ammo. No problem.

When Cslinger gets home, I will try to get him to go to the show. Maybe we'll see you guys.

This weekend is awesome - we went to the range yesterday, Cslinger and DavidTDM are gone again today, and tomorrow should be a blast...

Sheslinger

cslinger
July 12, 2003, 04:05 PM
Ok so is everybody cool on how to get to Owl Hollow? Is everybody cool with the time?

Darrin, are you still meeting us at the house around 11:30 or 11:45?

Does anybody else need us to meet them.

At this point I am just going to assume that everybody who is going to go is just going to get there and we will all hook up once there. If I am wrong then please send me an email or PM.

Thanks
Chris

OEF_VET
July 12, 2003, 06:37 PM
Just got home from the gunshow. Ran into Darrin and Bowlcut there. We had a good time drooling over guns and wishing we had Bill Gates' wallet. Finally got a chance to check out the SW 500. Man, if only I had $1300 to blow on an otherwise useless toy. :D

I'm definitly stoked about tomorrow. Sounds like we should have quite a turn-out. If I'm not mistaken, our brethren in Cali are also getting together this weekend. Maybe we're starting something here? Gotta love it.

Frank

glockten
July 12, 2003, 06:48 PM
Chris,

By "Texas Chainsaw Massacre house", do you mean the Haffner house?

cslinger
July 12, 2003, 09:20 PM
By "Texas Chainsaw Massacre house", do you mean the Haffner house?

Yes, it is the house up the hill from the range. You may either drive up there by taking the left turn before the range or simply park at the range and walk up the hill.

I call it that because the first time I went there the house looked like something out of TCM, almost deserted looking, mangy dog in the yard etc.

Turns out the Haffners are great and the dog just wants a bellyrub to let you pass but the house was a little intimidating to me at first. Reminded me of a horror movie.....I was glad I was armed.:D

Darrin
July 12, 2003, 09:28 PM
What happened to Darrin's hair? Nothing. I still have it. It's just not attached to my head anymore.

Darrin, are you still meeting us at the house around 11:30 or 11:45? Yup.

Glock on! http://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/guitarist.gif

Darrin
July 13, 2003, 09:16 PM
Guys, I had a great time today, despite the bumhug range officer.

We need to do this again. We ought to have these big THR shoots once a month or every-other month. Yes? No? Maybe?

Until next time...

Bowlcut
July 13, 2003, 09:35 PM
with everyone's permission ill post the pics. i have them all ready to go right now. just dont know if anyone is very camera/internet shy. if you are just let me know and ill remove the pics. im about to make a new thread on it atleast

Darrin
July 13, 2003, 09:44 PM
with everyone's permission ill post the pics Today was a good hair day, why not. :uhoh: :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone in town (Nashville and surroundings) for the 4th?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!