ninth day of temps running well over the 100 degree mark; with very high
humidity. My question is for all of our member's that pack the standard,
old blued gun on these kind's of days. What precautionary steps or
measures do you take too insure that your favorite carry piece doesn't
rust or corrode from all the salty bodily fluids that our bodies release
during these times. I know, I use Break Free CLP on a daily basis on
all of my carry weapons; even the stainless steel ones to cut down
on possible problems. Once home, I store all of 'em in a cool dry place
that is under the climate control of the home central AC unit~! :scrutiny:;)

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW In The HOT, HUMID Climates?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bamabluesman
August 15, 2007, 06:25 PM
Sorry Dan this has nothing to do with your post but its getting close to football season and I just had to say ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45shooter
August 15, 2007, 06:46 PM
I ended up refinishing my pistol blued Series 70 Colt Government model with Norrell bake on moly finish inside and out. It solved the rust problem. Now I just wipe it down the exterior with silicon cloth at the end of the day. Once a month I field strip it and clean and oil it, change the mags and load up with fresh ammo.

teknoid
August 15, 2007, 06:55 PM
Stainless, and a holster with a shield between the gun and skin. No problems, yet. I'm just slightly north of you.

We have a team too, (And it ain't Kentucky (except in basketball season, then we have two).

GO CARDS!

Ford
August 15, 2007, 07:00 PM
Casey's Gun Sheath is good for corrosion resistance if you dont use that already.

rolltide
August 15, 2007, 07:23 PM
In AL I found the shields under the holster to help some, but still insufficient for pocket carry or IWB carry (which is my primary means of carry.) For pocket carry, took a piece of vinyl, much like they make banner signs out of, and simply sewed it into a pouch deep enough to completely cover the gun with about 1" of extra pouch at the top that actually closes over the gun. I left the pouch unsewn on the grip side of the pouch, but made the pouch wide enough to completely cover the grip. Sewn only half way up, it is easy to slip your fingers in the ppouch to draw the gun. You can even shape the pouch to cover your favorite pocket holster easily. I usually made the outside shape of the pouch rectangular and sewn a nylon webbing filler to fill out the space under the barrel and in front of the trigger guard. This pouch has the added advantage that in shallow pockets or if the gun rides up toward the mouth of the pocket, the pouch still covered the butt of the gun and concealed it from view. I used black vinyl so that any exposed part of the pouch just looked like a checkbook cover sticking out of the pocket. While larger guns still "print" some, it looks more like a checkbook case or wallet in your pocket than a gun. Since using this pouch, I have never pulled a damp gun or holster from my pocket at the end of the day, which was a common occurence before. The SE US is a terrible place for trying to keep blued carry guns. Good luck.

Rooooooooooooll TIDE, ROLL!!!!!!

Ala Dan, You could loose your Alabama citizenship over a signature line like that. :neener: :neener: :neener:

denfoote
August 15, 2007, 09:36 PM
What you are experiencing is nothing different then what we, in Arizona, go through every summer during the monsoon.

I have had to take no special protective measures in all the years I've carried. I do, however, switch to pocket carry rather than belt or IWB just for the comfort factor. I use Kydex, nylon, or thermo plastic holsters year around, so I don't have to worry about sweat bleed through with leather.

My pocket holster is the DeSantis Nemisis.

sig228
August 16, 2007, 01:09 AM
Bla bla bla.....

GO GATORS!!!!!!

10-Ring
August 16, 2007, 02:24 AM
When the weather gets nasty, I reach for one of my poly guns and try to remember to wipe things down before the day is done...
That is of course my hypothetical answer since concealed carry in CA is a big no-no :rolleyes:

Guitargod1985
August 16, 2007, 06:01 AM
Rust and corrosion... hmmmm. Sort of makes you wish that those "all-plastic guns" that Rosie always talks about actually existed. :rolleyes:

1911 guy
August 16, 2007, 08:19 AM
Wipe your carry gun down every time you put it away. I work nights, so when I get home in the morning I unholster and unload, then wipe it down. Every week, strip, clean and re-lube. I've got a handgun I've carried for years, it has almost no finish left due to holster wear. I follow this routine and have never had an issue. It's even been water ballooned at a family picinic. Cleaned and lubed when I got home, no worries.

Pearl's Dad
August 16, 2007, 08:29 AM
I second the GO CARDS....BEAT WVU

TennVOL
August 16, 2007, 09:02 AM
Or hard chrome the gun.

Round the bowl, down the hole, roll Tide....roll.

Billy Sparks
August 16, 2007, 09:14 AM
I carry a stainless Commander, with a Milt Sparks horsehide (I think) holster. I have been lucky so far.

SaxonPig
August 16, 2007, 11:00 AM
Casual wear in August means T-shirt and shorts. I can't carry a gun dressed like that. So I carry a shoulder bag with wallet, keys, and a S&W M659. Nobody gives the bag a second thought as shorts lack pockets so the bag makes sense. Not as fast as from a holster but at least it's with me.

And it doesn't get bathed in sweat in the bag, either.

amprecon
August 16, 2007, 11:48 AM
Bought Glocks....... ;)

tydephan
August 16, 2007, 12:05 PM
My strategy is brilliant, I must say. Dan, I'm surprised you do not employ the same tactics:

I keep my behind inside, where this is air conditioning. :neener:

LOL.

Aside from that, I carry an ugly polymer pistol in a kydex holster. I leave my pretty guns and their leather holsters in the safe.

I wipe them down as usual once a week to remove lint and add protective oil as needed.

We haven't gotten the heatwave that you guys south of us have. We haven't gotten over 105 yet, but we share the same number of days in triple digits. Crazy crazy weather.

Stay cool in the "ham.

John - who is drooling and going into convulsions from a lack of college football...Roll Tide!

August 16, 2007, 12:28 PM
Save up ~$150.00, send the gun and the money to Walt Birdsong for his Black-T finish and don't worry about sweat, salt water, fresh water or damn near anything else causing problems.

deputy tom
August 16, 2007, 01:09 PM
Dan,I wipe my pocket pistols down daily with Tuff-cloth Marine treatment.Seems to work well.tom.

Oh and Go Stillers N@ ! he-he.:p

HiWayMan
August 16, 2007, 01:48 PM
I pocket carry. And while I don't live in the South, Ohio gets damn humid this time of year. I wipe my blued babies down with Penzoil 10W-40 weekly. When I've really been out in it I wipe it down with a rag soaked with 10W-40 and 3 in 1 household oil that stays in the basement stairwell for just such a purpose. I usually have to hit the blades on my carbon steel pocket knives as well or they rust up something terrible.

FM12
August 18, 2007, 08:49 PM
Get a S&W M60,stick it in a pocket, and be done with it!
(Anyone with a "Go Vols" in their by-line deserves rusted handguns, anyway!)
Ramma, Jamma!

Richard.Howe
August 18, 2007, 09:32 PM
First, let me say War Eagle.

Second -- my summertime carry piece is a G19, specifically selected because 1) I live in a seriously humid, coastal town, and 2) poly and Tennifer tend not to rust!

In the fall, I stick with my P220, slide and most internals hardchromed by Tripp. Sweat has not become a major problem yet.

Rich

Ragnar Danneskjold
August 18, 2007, 09:56 PM
Get a nice polymer compact.

Jason_G
August 19, 2007, 12:28 AM
Not much you can do other than get a good lube that is also good at rust prevention, and keep it coated. It helps if your vehicle has decent AC, mine doesn't. It gets pretty warm. Anyone know if kydex is better than leather to this end?

I don't know how this transitioned to football, but...

Go Tigers.
LSU

Jason

Peter M. Eick
August 19, 2007, 08:07 AM
I use a P7PSP that has been teflon coated by Briley. I am not sure what vendor of teflon/np3/whatever they used, but here in hot and humid Houston it has good over 5 years without any rust or even noticeable wear to it.

Truly amazing stuff!

Don't forget to get a couple of mags zapped while your at it to avoid them rusting also.

Bo
August 19, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm surprised no one uses a bellyband. I carry a XD 45 or my USPc 45 in a bellyband when I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt. The only problem is your shorts want to slide down because they can't grip on the band, so I tuck the front of my shorts inside the band. Works great.

AK103K
August 19, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm one of the lucky ones, I get to work physically outside all year round. :)

Summers in SE PA are much like the south, high humidity and 90's-100's for temps.

If you carry a Glock, your pretty well ahead. The only thing that rusted on mine was the slide stop. I wasnt a Glock fan, (other than their finish) so I tried to get Glock to refinish some of my other pistols, but they said no. To bad too, its probably the best finish out there for firearms. So I had to adjust.

Blue guns and leather holsters are not your friends in the summer, especially if you sweat a lot. Leather stays wet and so does your gun. Blue doesnt last long in a wet holster, park isnt far behind.

Hard chrome / stainless and a kydex holster are the way to go.

If you carry IWB,(my preferred way to carry) the kydex is impervious to sweat, and is very nice to your skin if it should happen to meet it. Wet leather on the other hand, quickly rubs you raw. Kydex is also very easy to maintain, a little soap and water, rinse it out in the sink, and towel dry, and your back in business.

Hard chrome and stainless will rust, so you do still need to care for them. The only place on my guns that tend to get damp and have problems are around the grip, where the holster doesnt cover and wet shirts tend to rest. Other than that, nothing.

If you work in an office, or have the luxury of air conditioning, and dont work up a good, soaking sweat, you can get by with the prettier guns and accessories. If you carry day in and day out, in all manner of conditions, pretty doesnt hold up long, and function is king.

If you like the way you gun and leather holster look now, dont carry them. :)

Cannonball888
August 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
All I know is that blued finishes really suck. No matter how much BreakFree CLP you wipe on profuse sweat from your body is gonna cause rust.

DrLaw
August 20, 2007, 12:04 AM
Go out in daylight only. Do not go to bad areas of town. Stay in your car if at all possible. Watch for cross traffic if you have to pull out to avoid a carjacking, which means you should also have your doors locked.

And oh yeah, carry a stainless gun if you must. Believe it or not, it might also be too hot for the bad guys to be out there messing around during the daylight hours where you might encounter them

The Doc is out now (and representing the bad guys who don't like to get out during daylight hours or high heat situations). :cool:

Jason_G
August 20, 2007, 06:45 PM
No matter how much BreakFree CLP you wipe on profuse sweat from your body is gonna cause rust.
I think there's better stuff than CLP to prevent corrosion.

Jason

CZ.22
August 20, 2007, 07:43 PM
GO VOLS! (AND TIGERS!)
Tigers=Auburn

P5 Guy
August 20, 2007, 09:28 PM
Oh what the heck-- GO GAMECOCKS

Richard.Howe
August 20, 2007, 09:39 PM
GO VOLS! (AND TIGERS!)
Tigers=Auburn

What, is there some other team out there claiming to be the Tigers? War Eagle... :)

"The" answer to this question, at least if you're in a really humid & hot environment, and if you actually carry longer than between the front door and your car, is Tenifer, or hard chrome, and kydex. That's just my experience...

Rich

beardownwildcat
August 21, 2007, 01:15 AM
i live in AZ and i carry a glock23 IWB with a galco leather holster. i just started wearing Under Amour compression shirts. it really does keep the moisture on the gun to a minimum (its like night and day the amount of sweat on it if i dont wear unerarmour). they also slim down the love handles.

BTW Bear down Arizona! go cats

Richard.Howe
August 21, 2007, 06:46 AM
i just started wearing Under Amour compression shirts. it really does keep the moisture on the gun to a minimum (its like night and day the amount of sweat on it if i dont wear unerarmour). they also slim down the love handles

What, do you mean like a Man-ziere?

35Rem
August 21, 2007, 10:24 AM
War Damn Eagle! (Auburn University for you uneducated folks)

Stainless, aluminum, or polymer. Daily PM (Preventative Maintenance)

W.E.G.
August 21, 2007, 10:37 AM
Man purse.

Carries your Glock and a good supply of snacks.

camsdaddy
August 21, 2007, 10:55 AM
Living in S Ga and carrying a P32 IWB 1 O clock I have found that I am beginning to get a little surface rust I am commiting to a daily wipe down. I have got to start doing a better job.

AK103K
August 21, 2007, 11:12 AM
Check out Eezox. I've been using it for about a year now and its great stuff, for anything your worried about rust on. In the tests I've seen of it against others, it and one other (I think it was Corrosion X) were the top two, and the others were not close.

I wipe all my guns, knives and tools down with it and it works very well at keeping rust and corrosion down to a minimum. Its also a good lubricant. I found out about it when I picked up my Seecamp, as they recommend it for cleaning and lubing the gun.

md7
August 21, 2007, 01:27 PM
GO OLE MISS
we may not win every game, but we aint never lost a party!
and i ccw a sw 642. just wipe it down, and put some remoil on it every now and then. no problems yet.

camsdaddy
August 21, 2007, 09:53 PM
As soon as I posted I took out my pistol grabbed the corrosion X and wiped it down. The guys I work with at the airport think that corrosion X is the greatest stuff in the world we use alot of it. It seems to work if it will hold up around spray chemicals on spray planes it should fight sweat and rust just fine.

kerank
August 25, 2007, 09:04 PM
Glock and....

Hotty Toddy!

Go Ole Miss!

mmcbeat
August 25, 2007, 10:01 PM
I used to live in Houston and during the summer (11+ months of the year, or so it seemed) I carried a stainless steel gun, kept it clean and wiped it down every night with a slightly oily cloth. Never had a problem.

420Stainless
August 26, 2007, 11:24 AM
Pocket carry a stainless PPK/S when its hot. OWB stainless combat commander when cool enough for good cover garments.

Go Rebs.

earplug
August 27, 2007, 11:20 PM
Just A note that the little spring metal clip attachment on Hogue revolver stocks will rust. Wish they made them in stainless or plated.

TOADMAN
August 28, 2007, 01:55 PM
My gun doesn't constantly ride up against my skin....I CC OWB belt holstered daily, all day...CC OWB belt holstered helps to keep the gun off the skin... Today, did a 2+ hour mountain bike ride. Took my S&W 637, OWB belt holstered.. After the ride my shirt and shorts were soaked with sweat.. The S&W was dry....Been doing this for years. I still inspect my self defense guns daily for anomalies to include giving them a wipe down...Sometimes I take a Glock 26...

BikerRN
August 28, 2007, 03:19 PM
I sweat through leather holsters and if I don't wipe my guns down daily they rust. I once pitted a Stainless Steel gun carried IWB after carrying if for six months as an expirment.
My S&W 22-4 is going to Mr. Walter Birdsong for his "Black T" treatment next week. It's the best thing going if you like blued guns. I wipe my carry guns down 2x/day and still have rust problems. :(
My 22-4 shows some "marks" from rust and it's wiped 2x/day. This is my EDC gun, along with my 442. I talked with a few people at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center and I'm sold on "Black T". Plus, a nicer gentleman you would never want to converse with over the phone.

Biker

The Bushmaster
August 28, 2007, 04:37 PM
I carry in a Kramer horse hide IWB holster. I do general maintenance and wipe it down every evening with a Hoppe's gun oil (#9) saturated T shirt. The gun is cleaned every two weeks as I practice every two weeks (or more) with it. Have had no problem and it's a all steel blued (slightly worn) semi-auto.

obxned
August 29, 2007, 05:44 PM
It is plenty warn and humid here, and I'm about a block from the ocean. I wipe my carry gun with a silicone cloth only a couple of times a week and have no problems.

jpwilly
August 30, 2007, 01:32 AM
WD-40 The military did all the testing for you! Oh yea and

GO
BUCKS!

golden
August 30, 2007, 11:53 PM
I carry a WALTHER P-99 in a pancake holster in the evening when I can wear something over it like a vest. However, a vest usualy spells HAS A GUN to most people who know. This is especially true when the Florida temperature hits 95+.
Doing the day, I wear a 5 shot 38 in a pocket holster. You can get away with this quite well with loose fitting pants like DOCKERS.
When the weather permits I may go with a snub .38 like the S&W model 12 or COLT Cobra which carry very well because of their light weight.
I just oil mine after I clean it. Nothing more.

Jim

golden
August 31, 2007, 12:01 AM
I just saw the posting on WD-40. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT OR ANYTHING LIKE IT ON GUNS THAT YOU WILL BE CARRYING.

Some oils and lubricants contain penetrating agents to get into metal and prevent rust. IT ALSO PENETRATES AMMO AND DEACTIVATES THE PRIMERS!

At least one police officer was killed in discovering this. If you are going to carry a gun, USE ONLY GUN LUBRICANTS! It you are cleaning and storing a gun like a target pistor or hunting rifle, fine use WD-40, just not in a gun that you will bet your life on.

Jim

golden
August 31, 2007, 12:02 AM
I just saw the posting on WD-40. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT OR ANYTHING LIKE IT ON GUNS THAT YOU WILL BE CARRYING.

Some oils and lubricants contain penetrating agents to get into metal and prevent rust. IT ALSO PENETRATES AMMO AND DEACTIVATES THE PRIMERS!

At least one police officer was killed in discovering this. If you are going to carry a gun, USE ONLY GUN LUBRICANTS! It you are cleaning and storing a gun like a target pistor or hunting rifle, fine use WD-40, just not in a gun that you will bet your life on.

Jim

S&W620
August 31, 2007, 05:57 PM
O H I O Go Buckeyes

denfoote
August 31, 2007, 06:10 PM
Why did this thread turn into a college football internet pep rally???

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW In The HOT, HUMID Climates?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!