opinions of Browning A-bolt

PDA

okiebuckout
August 15, 2007, 11:06 PM
I just bought a new A bolt with the Boss system for a heck of a deal. I have never owned a Browning, so I am curious what some of your opinions are. I know its a little late, but I went on blind faith of brownings rep.:o I haven't received it yet, so I don't have personal experience yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "opinions of Browning A-bolt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Strongbad
August 16, 2007, 12:18 AM
Browning turns out a good product. Solid hunting rifle, and they're plenty accurate. The BOSS is a good idea, but everyone that I know of who has one doesn't hardly screw with it (I've met a few that do). I'm glad too that they finally came out with a BOSS that is not a brake, as I despise the noise.

Only other beef I have is the trigger. They need an overtravel adjustment and a sear adjustment. Unfortunately they have neither. It's easily rectified with a Moyers replacement trigger which has sear engagement, a different spring for weight of pull, and overtravel. IMHO one of the best additions you could make to an A-Bolt. Anyway, in short... they're good guns, generally well finished, and reliable.

sig226
August 17, 2007, 03:06 AM
Play with the BOSS as the manual suggests. It works. You can see it. If the book doesn't list the ammunition you wish to use, call Browning. They have additional settings for it. Browning sells a replacement BOSS attachment that has no muzzle brake. It's a good rifle.

ftierson
August 17, 2007, 04:12 AM
The new A-bolts have a really fine 32tpi barrel/receiver thread...

On the stainless guns, these threads tend to gall when the barrel is removed, ruining the barrel and receiver...

We won't even attempt to rebarrel them in the shop after ruining a couple and having to eat the cost of replacements. Browning doesn't seem to care...

If you consider the A-bolt to be a disposable gun when the barrel needs replacing (which could be in only a few hundred rounds with some of the super short mag cartridges (for example, the .223 WSSM), the A-bolt might be all right...

Personally, I wouldn't touch one of the newer ones with the fine (not coarse) receiver threads...

The Japanese gave Browning what they wanted...

Whether what they (Browning) wanted is good or not is another story...

Other than my stated problem with the barrel/receiver threads, the guns are quite well made...

Forrest

BBush
August 17, 2007, 04:57 AM
I am thinking of purchasing a Browning A-Bolt in stainless steel in the near future. As far as the problem with the galling, can you send still the rifle back to the factory and have them replace the barrel if you ever need a new barrel? I plan on purchasing my rifle in 30-06 or maybe 7mm Rem. mag, so I may not need a barrel replacement as soon as some of the newer short mags may call for. I just know that the factory will be a lot more likely to eat the cost of a total rifle replacement than your average gunsmith shop.

Strongbad
August 17, 2007, 09:46 AM
If you're judicious with your shooting practices a 30/06 will last you a lifetime, and the 7mag while being hotter would probably outlast you as well. As long as you're not going out to the range and shooting it like an AR, you'll be shooting that gun for years and years... and years.

okiebuckout
August 17, 2007, 11:57 AM
The new A-bolts have a really fine 32tpi barrel/receiver thread...

On the stainless guns, these threads tend to gall when the barrel is removed, ruining the barrel and receiver...

Ftierson, was this a problem with the older models??? This rifle is NIB, but it was made in 94.

gilly05
August 21, 2007, 03:33 PM
Browning A bolt with the Boss system is an extremly accurate rifle. For best results order Tape from Browning how to adjust BOSS system.
On my rifle I got one hole on 100 yards. It will allow you to use diffrent ammo. Once I find a "sweet spot" I write that info on Ammo Box. Year or 2 later you just pick up ammo and adjust Boss to setting written on the box. :)

Andrewsky
August 21, 2007, 04:06 PM
My dad bought an A-Bolt Medallion in '91 for an Elk Hunting Trip. He didn't end up getting an Elk until '95 but that's a different story.

Now it's my deer hunting rifle.

It has a 3.5-10x Leupold on it and is chambered in .300 Win Mag. It shoots sub MOA.

My cousin has a lightweight stainless Stalker in .325 Win Short Mag with a 4-12 Leupold that is awesome. He's shot many animals with it, including bears.

ftierson
August 21, 2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by okiebuckout:
Ftierson, was this a problem with the older models???

No, it wasn't...

And I don't know when Browning started with the fine threads. The problems we had were in 2006, and we'd rebarreled a lot of Browning A-bolts over the years until then...

You should be able to pull out the front scope mount plug screw and look down into the hole and see the receiver threads...

I'm pretty sure that a 1994 production gun will have the old style barrel threads...

Forrest

Mr White
August 21, 2007, 05:56 PM
I've never owned one but I've shot one, handled several and did the research. If I ever buy a new hunting rifle, it will be an A Bolt.

Mr White
August 21, 2007, 05:58 PM
oops. Duplicate.

Cougfan2
August 21, 2007, 06:14 PM
I've worked several Hunter Sight In days at my club and the Browning A Bolts have been consistently some of the most accurate rifles I have seen right out of the box given the shooter does their part. Don't own one now, but wouldn't hesitate to purchase one.

xring44
August 21, 2007, 06:26 PM
Is it an Abolt or a Abolt II, quite a difference, I have a Abolt Gold Medallion I bought around 92' its a fine shooter, sub MOA. It came with a poor trigger, it now has one of the best triggers in my safe. I'm a range safety officer and I agree that they are one of the most accurate out of the box rifles I have seen.

Andrewsky
August 21, 2007, 11:27 PM
My A-Bolt from '91 has about a 5 pound trigger with absolutely no play before it breaks like a glass rod.

If you enjoyed reading about "opinions of Browning A-bolt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!