Info on AR Shooting

PDA

JonB
August 16, 2007, 11:47 AM
Hi all - does anyone have a good source of written/internet material that teaches good practice techniques for an AR? Appleseed shoots are out of the question unless they schedule one close to me as I don't have the time to drive 400-500 miles to the nearest one for a weekend.

I bought my AR some time ago, have it zero'd with the irons using the IBZ procedure and have really enjoyed shooting it. But not having been in the military I shoot it just like any other gun (with a few exceptions like nose to the charging handle)

But I am betting that with some proper technique training I would be much better with the iron sights than I am now - ie l200-300 yard shooting. I haven't found anything local as far as classes or whatever. I could easily slap a Leupold scope on it and shoot accurately all day, but that really doesn't teach me anything about using the irons the way they are meant to be used.

Anyway, any suggested readings?

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on AR Shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
August 16, 2007, 11:51 AM
Go talk to Fred.
http://www.fredsm14stocks.com
He we get you set uip with some information on iron sight shooting, even with a poodle shooter!:p

funfaler
August 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
I highly recommend the Riflemans Shooting guide from Fred's, you will gain a TON of valuable shooting information from that source.

Also, if you don't want to travel to an Appleseed, how about bringing an Appleseed to your backyard?

The Appleseed program is always looking for new venues to put on their shoots, if you think we can gin up enough interest for 30 or so shooters in your area (what area in SD is that, I was just in Sioux Falls?) they would be happy to put on a shoot there.

PM me if you have questions or would like to discuss this info.

Happy shooting

Blackfork
August 16, 2007, 01:07 PM
Find the local NRA Highpower Rifle match. You'll get more than you can imagine.

JonB
August 16, 2007, 01:44 PM
funfaler - I live in Sioux Falls. I would bet getting that # of people would be the easy part. You may be on to something here....

Looking at the Fred's site, he pushes a 'shooting' jacket. Does anyone use such a thing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on AR Shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!