To anybody with experiance with a Tikka T3!

PDA

Dtmoss14
August 16, 2007, 03:15 PM
Tell me your thoughts, which model and caliber it was etc...

I am primarily interested in .308 long range shooting.

I don't hunt.

If you enjoyed reading about "To anybody with experiance with a Tikka T3!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hrgrisso
August 16, 2007, 03:17 PM
My brother in law has a Tikka T3 lite in .270. My only experience, very comfortable, and well lite. :neener:. Easy to shoulder, quick on target etc. Very accurate. If I can find one for a decent price I'd like one for myself. I liked it better than the Winchester M70 featherweight. Balanced better.

DogBonz
August 16, 2007, 03:24 PM
A guy at my old club had a laminated T3 in .260 Rem. That thing was a tack driver.

The good and the bad:

The mags are expensive, about $40, if memory serves correct. Also, if memory is correct, they are all “long actions” so, for example, if you get a 308 based cartridge it will be in a 30-06 sized action. Not a huge deal in my book. The barrels that Tikka uses are the same barrels that Sako uses, so you are getting a very high quality barrel. The tikka also has a nice adjustable trigger. They may not win a beauty contest, but they are shooters.

Dtmoss14
August 16, 2007, 03:42 PM
How is the quality of a T3 compared to a savage 10fp or 12fv?

cameron.personal
August 16, 2007, 03:59 PM
I had a Tikka Deluxe Hunter in .30-06 and a good friend bought the varmint stainless configuration in the .308

His would be a good choice for what you are after. The heavier bbl and the stock and mag capcity would suit the long range shooter. Hpwever, the super varmint and tactical would be really cool.

They are very accurate and extremely well made. I sold my Tikka due to the .30-06 not because it was a Tikka.

I did end up buying an FN though...

I would recommend the Tikka 308 Varmint without hesitation. I believe he paid approx $600 for it.

Cameron

Dtmoss14
August 16, 2007, 06:35 PM
bump, thanks cameron.

trueblue1776
August 16, 2007, 06:43 PM
generally a decent shooter, I always thought the T3 fell short of the Sako/Tikka reputation. There are a few corners cut in manufacturing the T3 series to build a less expensive rifle.

You can get a Rem 700 for about the same price, the Rem 700 is a better built rifle. But if you are new to rifles you probably wouldn't care or notice the differences.

iamkris
August 16, 2007, 07:07 PM
My T3 in 300 WSM is awesome. Accurate, smooth bolt and feeding, outstanding trigger. Best group so far is 0.62" 3 shot at 100 with Hornady SST 165 gr over IMR 4350. I paid $400 from a guy who shot exactly 17 shots through it and decided that magnums weren't for him.

I think it shoots great regardless of the price. You gotta admit, though, it's hard to find this combo of great trigger, accuracy and fit and finish for less money. While not "cheap", the Tikka is certainly less expensive than many and higher quality than most.

Here's me and the antelope I took in Wyoming last year with my Tikka T3 a.k.a. "Hammer of Thor"
http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/9562/pict0072xu7.jpg

In addition, the SEARCH feature is so useful

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=211246&highlight=tikka
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=202938&highlight=tikka
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=165773&highlight=tikka
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=120905&highlight=tikka

psyopspec
August 16, 2007, 11:38 PM
I've been using a T3 .243 on deer and coyote since I was 15 or so. I could never bring myself to sell this gun, as it's what I've learned to shoot with and every white tail I've ever taken has been shot with it. Back when I was 17 and shooting twice a week, I could consistently hit quarters (as in the coin) at 150 yards with the factory included scope. Essentially, I like mine, though I admit I'm relatively uninformed when it comes to comparing it to others.

Dtmoss14
August 17, 2007, 10:41 PM
Bump,

45crittergitter
August 20, 2007, 10:56 PM
I have experience with two T3 Lites; a .223 and a .243. Lightweight, extra slick, scary accurate, very reasonably priced. I love them. I think they are markedly better than Savage, and somewhat better quality than Remington. Certainly they are much more rifle for the money. My only gripes are expensive magazines and the two-position safety that locks the bolt.

spalit
August 24, 2007, 11:44 PM
I have a Tikka T3 laminate in .308 and just got back from an African plains game hunt. This rifle shoots like a dream. I've taken Waterbuck, bushbuck, black wildebeest and Springbok with this rifle. It points like a shotgun, light and good handling characteristics. It's also a tack driver. The wildebeest was taken with one shot at 250 yards with 180 gr Hornady Interbond handloaded with 42 gr Varget. I certainly appreciated the light weight of the rifle on that hunt!

The only negatives about this rifle is the cost of parts. A spare mag will set you back $70. You also have to deal with Beretta for customer service. But I've not had to do one thing to this rifle - no custom trigger job, no glass bedding, etc...

http://lh5.google.com/sumanpalit/Rsu0Dm431JI/AAAAAAAAAGE/ti_jRFEaLUs/s400/IMG_0996.JPG

atomchaser
August 25, 2007, 08:56 AM
I have a T3 Laminate in 270 WSM that is a tack driver. Fit and finish is excellent. The only criticism is the plastic mags and trigger guard.

If you are interested in a non hunting version in 308, CDNN has T3 snipers on sale. I recently purchased one but have not had a chance to shoot it. It's a little more pricey than the regular T3, but comes with a picatinny rail, threaded barrel, and adjustable stock.

scubie02
August 25, 2007, 09:31 AM
if you get a good one, Tikka's TEND to be accurate and they have great triggers. Unfortunately, after Beretta took over, Tikka scrapped the 595/695 in this country (they still sell them in other countries afaik) and came out with the cheaper T3 that they priced at the same point or higher than the 595/695, which is pretty distasteful. As mentioned, they only come in long action, which means if you get a 308, you will have an 06 length action. Also as mentioned, if you ever lose the mag, if you can get a replacement it will cost lots of $$$.

I had a 695 in 25-06 I bought online when they discontinued them. When it showed up, it had small cracks in the stock at the corners at the back of the action and at the front by the barrel. I had to pay to ship it to beretta, they had it for some time, then sent it back to me with a new stock with MORE CRACKS IN IT than the one it came with! Had to send it back AGAIN, and finally got it back with a stock with no cracks (during this same time I went to a gun show and say 3 more, and ALL THREE also had the cracks--apparently they had a problem for awhile there with the wood stocks not being properly cured before going out, then cracking). I FINALLY get it back with a stock with no cracks, and I kid you not, I tried hundreds of dollars worth of different ammo and they all averaged 4-5" groups--worst by far I have ever had in the accuracy department. Finally traded that sucker off and washed my hands of the whole sordid thing--it had been over a year going back and forth to Beretta trying to get a stock without cracks.

Now, having said all that, my brother has a 243 of theirs that will shoot 1/2" groups at 150 yds with handloads. He did have to send it back when it first arrived because it, too, had a cracked stock, but the replacement had nicer wood and no cracks and it's a shooter. His friend bought a 270 because of how well his shot, and his shoots quite well too. I guess I just wasn't meant to own a Tikka...although I am still tempted myself at times--they tend to have some nice wood and handle nice. I'd have to get a long action as the mag with a plug thing would bug me no end.

viking499
August 25, 2007, 10:20 AM
How does the Tikka's compare with the CZ's?

trueblue1776
August 25, 2007, 10:24 AM
How does the Tikka's compare with the CZ's?

Older Tikkas can be fantastic, the T3 line, not so much. CZ is hands down a higher quality manufacture than the T3 line.

Not to say a T3 can't be a reliable and precise rifle, but the plastic parts and no bedding, really don't do much to sell me.

If you enjoyed reading about "To anybody with experiance with a Tikka T3!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!