sks problems

PDA

mathyoo
August 16, 2007, 11:38 PM
got an sks from a pawn shop a few weeks ago and after some cleaning and stuff it was jamming when I took it to the range. after a little research I realised my bolt spring was in backwards, and I was just wondering, would this cause some problems or is it something else?

thanks for any help...

If you enjoyed reading about "sks problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stevetford
August 16, 2007, 11:58 PM
Could you better explain your "jamming" issue for us?

mathyoo
August 17, 2007, 12:06 AM
multiple FTE's...

stovepiping etc....

stevetford
August 17, 2007, 12:21 AM
What model SKS? Do you still have the problem after correcting the bolt spring? Could also be laquer build up or if it is a Yugo possibly a gas valve concern.

mathyoo
August 17, 2007, 12:25 AM
its a yugo, and im not sure if I corrected the problem, I havent been able to go shoot since I last worked on it....

JamesM
August 17, 2007, 12:54 AM
+1 on the gas valve.

jpwilly
August 17, 2007, 12:54 AM
Yes the spring in backwards could have been the culprit. Basically the SKS is one of the most reliable semi autos for the same reasons an AK is one of the best full autos. But if the cycle speed is slowed down too much by a backwards spring or blocked gas port or sticky laquer steel cased ammo even cosmoline in the chamber or the gas system making things sticky once it got warm/hot you will have that problem. Be sure you also dissassemble the bolt and fireing pin...it is a free floating pin and if theres any cosmoline in there the pin could get stuck in the forward position once the bolt gets hot and the cosmoline starts to ooze out. I it may slam fire...that would be very bad. My Yugo did this but I caught it and no slam fire occured...I'm lucky.

If you enjoyed reading about "sks problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!