What load should I use?

PDA

Twig
August 16, 2007, 11:39 PM
About 5 years ago I purchased a Win 94 .357 I am thinking about trying it out in the deer stand this year. Any thoughts on a good huntin load for whitetail? I hunt in a tamarac swamp so all the shooting will be 50 yds or less.

If you enjoyed reading about "What load should I use?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kmrcstintn
August 17, 2007, 12:41 AM
I got a Marlin 1894 in .357 magnum; mine likes different brands of 158 gr softpoints; I use CCI Blazer Brass 158 gr jhp's for camp defense; my father uses Remington 165 gr CoreLokt jhp's in his 686 (that's what he'll use if he wants to use the 1894 for deer season); if you want a 'standard' power magnum load that is bonded, you can go with the newer Federal Fusion 158 gr or Speer Gold Dot 158 gr orthe heavier Speer Gold Dot 170 gr hunting load;

Buffalo Bore uses Speer Gold Dot bullets when developing their higher power loads (they claim higher velocity & energy without higher pressure due to a proprietary powder blend); I plink with Federal American Eagle 158 gr softpoints or Independence 158 gr softpoints;

I was going to use Federal CastCore 180 gr, but they reduced the power ratings when they went from oleder packaging to newer packaging (the velocity ratings are reduced as well, so it seems that they 'softened' the load for some reason or another); if you want a 'big 3' brand heavier load, you might want to consider the Winchester Partition Gold 180 gr jhp which is based upon Nosler Partition technology;

I have had less than desirable accuracy results on 100 yard targets since the front sight covers the entire target*; I have had good accuracy offhand at 50 yards; I have had superb results from a bench bag at 25 yards;

* replaced the factory sights with Williams Firesights--equivalent to day glow sights

campbell
August 17, 2007, 11:41 PM
Check out DoubleTap's (http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php) 200gr WFNGC. 1200 fps from a 4'' GP, so you'd probably get at least 1400-1500 fps out of a rifle.

MCgunner
August 18, 2007, 10:31 AM
I've killed one deer at 80 yards quite dead, was a smallish doe, though, with 158 grain cast gas checked SWC from a Lee mold over 14.5 grains 2400. Lung shot and she didn't go far. The wound channel was impressive and total penetration. For factory stuff look to http://www.buffalobore.com either in 180 or 158 grain loads. My handload shot about 1900 fps from the muzzle of a 20" barrel Rossi 92. They're claiming over 2100 fps from an 18" Marlin for the Buffalo Bore 158 and that's .30-30 territory. I've not chronographed it, but the Buffalo Bore sounds like a good load. the 180 clocks as fast as my 158 handload.

Twig
August 19, 2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the help I went to the local sport shop the other and they had a box of that 180 grain buffalo bore. I'm gonna go shoot it sometime this week and try it this deer season.

Orr89rocz
August 19, 2007, 11:46 PM
buffalo bore is good..hard cast bullets are great for penetration and you'll need that.

also look into winchester Partition Gold...those are nice bullets. 8 inch barrel it comes out at 1180 fps. not bad

If you enjoyed reading about "What load should I use?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!