Remington M700 SPS vs. Savage 10FP

PDA

Dtmoss14
August 17, 2007, 01:38 AM
Discuss.... Remington doesn't have to be just SPS and model around that price can count too.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington M700 SPS vs. Savage 10FP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gimposaurus
August 17, 2007, 01:43 AM
What about them?

They both make admirable tyre levers or fire pokers

Dtmoss14
August 17, 2007, 01:44 AM
What would you recommend for around $600 then?

ZeroCool
August 17, 2007, 05:42 AM
First, if we are talking rifle only, than the 600 is a little high for the stock Savage 10fp or SPS Varmint (which I am assuming you are referring to). Should be able to find the SPS for under 500 at a local chain store (dont know if you have a "Dicks" near you).

I think most people would agree that you have a better chance of getting a more accurate Savage out of the box. I think those same people would agree that although the SPS stock aint great, the Savage stock completely sucks and is by far the weakest link on an otherwise great rifle.

You may want to tell us what caliber and barrel length you were hoping for. Savage makes guns in 20" 24" and 26" if you want .308. I think you are "stuck" with only a 26" if you want .223. The SPS Varmint comes in a variety of calibers but again I believe the only barrel length available is 26".

I personally dont like such a long tube and had my heart set on a 20" .223 "tactical" bolt gun. Fortunately for me, Remington recently came out with the SPS tactical, which is 20" only in both .308 and .223. The SPS Tactical is generally around $550 and I would highly recommend it.

I dont think you can make a wrong choice, but you may want to define your wants/needs a little bit better and your choice may become more clear.

Hope this was helpful as I asked many similar questions on my quest for my first bolt gun.

Detritus
November 5, 2007, 01:45 AM
I think those same people would agree that although the SPS stock aint great, the Savage stock completely sucks and is by far the weakest link on an otherwise great rifle.

based on reveiws i've found and the three i've looked at in person. the stock for the SPS series isn't any better than the savage stocks in the "being flimsy" Department. in fact the Bell&Carlson made Savage factory stock does two things the SPS unit does not.

the action of the savage is pillar bedded, the SPS has no form of bedding blocks or pillars,
the savage manages to free float the barrel, again the remington fails to do so.

Limiting the discussion to the 10FP and the SPS-V, both are intended for the same portion of the market, ie entry level "varmint guns", and meet the same price point. both are decent guns that do well enough "out of the box" to meet most shooter's expectations, and both in truth need a little bit of aftermarket investment (spelled "New Stock, and tailored handloads") to reach full potential.

personally right now i'm looking at both as a possible next bolt gun and in truth it will likely come down to which one is both available and most afordable when i finally have teh cash in hand. but i know dern well that, in time, i WILL be investing in an aftermarket stock for which ever one i do buy.

Commander Guineapig
November 5, 2007, 09:37 AM
just from holding them at sportsmens warehouse I deduced 3 things:
The Rem stock is sleeker (translate "not as clunky", but I definitely can see
where someone would feel it's flimsier.)
I liked the trigger on the Rem better (a bit heavy, but not impossible to fix,
but the 10FP reminded me of...well...a Glock.)
The Rem action is slickern snot.
This is just my opinion from holding both rifles.
I am getting the Rem when I make my big purchases.
that's not my .02 ...that's my .01
GP

Detritus
November 5, 2007, 03:34 PM
In fairness to the discussion I guess i should have stated that i've been a savage fan for years. been thinking about and wanting a Remington 700 for longer than I've even known Savage to exist. But every time i go looking at the available Remmys and Savages to fill a need/want, until now with the SPS-V, I have been unable to justify the extra cost of the remington. so I've owned three Savages and no Rem 700s (inherited a 600, but that's not important).

the current round of "i need a new target gun" (badly timed trading my last savage, and unwillingly haven't had a target style bolt gun since), has me really thinking hard abotu what to do again, as i said the 12FV and the 700 SPS-V are close enough in price to make it a toss up. so it comes down to what features i would most like to be more certain of having when it comes out of the box.

Things i'm using to try adn make the decision:

TRIGGERS

Savage accu-trigger: one of the better triggers on the market right now, i KNOW i like it had it on my last 12FV

the New unit from remington: haven't tried it, seen reveiws of it that say that while it is better than the old version in the way of pull weight etc, that the "feel" isn't as good. i agree with the reveiw i saw the other day saying that a Remington should have a grooved trigger, the new one is shiny with a rounded, slick face.

Out of Box Accuracy.

Savage has a Rep for being more inherently accurate without need of aftermarket parts or 'smith work, than remington. and if a savage Does need work it's easier and usually cheaper to do.

Big plus for the Remmy
The Rem action is slickern snot.

yeah the remington action is SMOOOOOTH, the Savage can't compare on the basis of how smooth the bolt is to operate,
also Savage appearently gets some of their savings from not spending the time on ANY of their rifles to properly time the bolt internals (which for the savage is a involved process i understand, and most savage buyers won't notice or care) thus in addition to the slop caused by the fit of the bolt itself to the receiver, it's cocking cams etc do not mesh and move over one another smoothly and evenly, adding to the "clunkiness" of the action. of course whether the bolt movement is smooth or rough is not an indicator of how accurate the rifle is.

well anyway that's my thoughts on it so far.

Taurus44
November 5, 2007, 04:58 PM
The Savage 10FP in .308 is available in 20", 24" and 26" barrel lengths.

I bought the 24" and even after buying a stock (Choate Ultimate Varmint), rings/bases (Burris Xtreme), scope (Bushnell Elite 3200), Butler Creek caps and bipod (Harris), I still came in just a bit over $1000 total.

I might send the Savage out for some tuning eventually, but the Model 700 all but requires AT LEAST a trigger-job or drop-in trigger kit (I haven't messed with the new Remington triggers yet, though.). The Accu-trigger is spectacular out of the box with a bit of do-it-yourself tuning.

As a long-time Remington fan (I have 5 Remington shotguns), I have no burning desire to own a Model 700.

kennedy
November 6, 2007, 08:33 PM
just bought a used rem 700 VLS(varmit laminated stock) in .308 with 26 in barrell, walking around a gun show for $500, you are right the action is as slick as snot and the trigger was very easy adjustable to 2.5 lbs. added a used leupold 3x9 and a used harris bipod for $45 and I have the sweetist shooting sniper you ever saw.

colt.45
November 6, 2007, 09:19 PM
i dont know what you guys are thinking, but id put any stock 700SpS varmint or 700P up against a savage. ive seen a few of both and the savage has the accutriger going for it, but i think a remington would last longer and has a better barrel. and its easier to find stocks for remingtons.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington M700 SPS vs. Savage 10FP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!