Badger Ordnance Trigger Guard and Detachable Magazine Assembly

PDA

deolexrex
August 17, 2007, 03:27 PM
Anyone have any experience with these (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=440944&t=11082005)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Badger Ordnance Trigger Guard and Detachable Magazine Assembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
L.Puckett
August 17, 2007, 07:46 PM
deolexrex,

It's my experience that there are none better. They center the round into the chamber and I have not had any failures with this system during hard and abusive use.

They are a combat proven system with the most recent adoption by the USMC for the M40A3 SWS.

The magazines are made by AI (Accuracy International) and they too are excellent.

LP

nbkky71
August 17, 2007, 09:50 PM
I thought the USMC M40A3 used a trigger guard by D.D. Ross.

L.Puckett
August 18, 2007, 07:01 PM
nbkky71,

You are correct on the DD Ross Trigger guard and floor plate. That is the original spec. After 2001 several were built with the Badger Ordinance M4 trigger guard and hinged floorplate.

To my understanding approx 6 months ago the Badger M5 detachable magazine system became the latest "mod". Whether it becomes a permenant change to the spec, I haven't a clue.

My experience with the Badger M5 detachable is on another rifle, my M40A3 has the standard Badger M4 hinged floorplate/guard.

LP

The Deer Hunter
August 18, 2007, 07:04 PM
And they cost $329!

hoser45
March 25, 2009, 03:49 PM
So are these mags and system different than standard M1A mags?

aubie515
March 25, 2009, 04:58 PM
The M5 uses AI mags...which are the industry standard for mags used in bolt actions.

You should also check out VBull mag system as well. They also use AI mags and the VBull is offered in Remington and Savage actions.

hoser45
March 25, 2009, 05:14 PM
So M5 (A1 mags) are not the same as M1A mags?

Bartkowski
March 25, 2009, 05:17 PM
What makes that cost $400? It is good I know but there isn't much to it and it requires a little gunsmithing to install.

March 25, 2009, 06:05 PM
If you have a Remington, I think that the AICS is MUCH better value for the money since you're getting a whole lot more for less than twice the cost. I can see the appeal of the BO trigger guard and magazine if your objective is to reduce the overall weight of the rifle though (compared to the AICS). One of the complaints I have about the AI magazines in .308 is that they spot weld a steel plate inside the magazine at the front seam which is completely redundant and annoying since it reduces the COL by about 3/16". I ended up drilling out the spot welds, removing the plates, welding up the holes and repainting the magazines ... MUCH better!!

Anyway, there's a competitor that shoots at the range where I shoot and he has the BO upgrade shown in the OP's link. He seems to like it.

:)

Conqueror
March 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
So M5 (A1 mags) are not the same as M1A mags?
You misread. AI, as in Accuracy International. Not A-one. AI magazines are made in England by Accuracy International, a sniper rifle company, and are nothing like M1 Garand magazines.

pdd614
March 30, 2009, 10:37 PM
check out surgeons bottom metal.

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/products/accessories/?module=products&product_id=154

think of it as a next generation badger ordnance m5,

Zak Smith
March 30, 2009, 10:39 PM
The Surgeon is nicer.

pdd614
March 30, 2009, 10:47 PM
i couldn't agree more with you, zak. i can't count the number of times i accidently pressed the mag release on my m5. the surgeon looks to have solved that problem.

March 30, 2009, 11:07 PM
i couldn't agree more with you, zak. i can't count the number of times i accidently pressed the mag release on my m5. the surgeon looks to have solved that problem.

That Badger magazine release does seem to stick out way past the bottom of the 5 round magazine. If I had one of those I'd order some 10 round AI magazines so that I wouldn't accidentally press the mag release. That said, I would wonder about the leverage of the Surgeon magazine release. It's possible that they went with a lighter spring compared to the Badger and AICS ... I would think that they'd have to in order to compensate for the shorter lever. I haven't had any problems with the mag release (accidental operation) on either of my AICS stocks with 5 or 10 round magazines.

Here's what I mean about the 10-round AI magazine with the Badger setup ... it'd be hard to accidentally drop the magazine with this set up.

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/BO_10rnd.jpg

:)

pdd614
March 30, 2009, 11:33 PM
you're right about the 10 rounders. but i believe the surgeon is very wide, so maybe leverage isn't a problem.

July 29, 2010, 08:31 AM
http://www.surgeonrifles.com/products/accessories/?module=products&product_id=154

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=440944

Couple of links that may help. Mighty expensive upgrades for a rifle that does not need to be fired that many times at a distant target.

Maverick223
July 29, 2010, 12:58 PM
Check the date...

If you enjoyed reading about "Badger Ordnance Trigger Guard and Detachable Magazine Assembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!