Taking my first AR-15 Dive!

PDA

RWMC
August 17, 2007, 11:58 PM
Back in June, a good friend suggested I start saving for an AR-15. I told him that with my tight finances, the buying of a complete rifle was way out of the question. He then suggested that I at least ordered a lower receiver and go from there as money allowed. So I did. It was June 16 when I placed my order with DPMS for a complete lower with the standard A-2 butt stock. Yesterday my lower receiver arrived! I realize that even though it is not the complete rifle, I am still excited about it! I am planning on buying an A-3 upper with a match barrel in a light contour (if possible?). I was told the 1:8 twist would be the best for the 55-62 grain bullets. I also want to have free float handguards. I have never owned an AR-15 before, but I can tell you now, I will be scrimping and scrounging so I can get my upper receiver ASAP! Is 1:8 better than 1:9 twist for the 55-62 grain bullets? Thanks for any info you think may be helpful in my AR plans!

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking my first AR-15 Dive!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mannix
August 18, 2007, 12:03 AM
Check out ar15.com, they have all the information you need, and the equipment exchange area of the forum is a good place to find deals.

GunNut
August 18, 2007, 12:11 AM
I'd look at a 1:7 upper for all around use, but 1:9 would work.

Don't go over board and get yourself a match type upper, just get a 16" government profile upper or a lightweight. Don't get a Heavy Barrel(HBAR) as you will hate the extra weight.

Brands to consider would be Stag Arms, CMMG, LMT or Sabre Defence. Plan on spending $500-600 for a complete upper with out free float forend.

Steve

JamesM
August 18, 2007, 12:15 AM
Twist rate was discussed here also

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=291643

RockyMtnTactical
August 18, 2007, 12:39 AM
I really prefer 1/8 twist, but it's not all that common. 1/9 works great for me though as I shoot mostly 55gr ammo.

browningguy
August 18, 2007, 12:40 AM
Here's a link for a DPMS upper at Midway similar to what you want. I have the 16" bull barrel model and it is a very good shooter. Keep in mind I have lightweight .223's so this was bought for bench and varmit shooting off a bipod, weight didn't matter to me. They put them on sale occasionally for $389 or $399 which makes them a real bargain.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=120468&t=11082005

1:9 twist is good at least up to the 64-69 grain range, 1:8 and 1:7 for bullets above that. All three of my .223's are 1:9 twist, but I never shoot anything longer than the 60 gr. Nosler Partition. Uusally I'm shooting 45 gr. HP, 50 gr. HP or 55 gr. SP loads.

Onmilo
August 18, 2007, 12:43 AM
1-8 was the big gotta have twist for Match shooting when 69 grain bullets were all that could be had.

Experimenters found the 1-7 twist would stabalize 75-77 grain bullets and do so accurately.

1-9 was found to stabalize all bullets from 50-64 grains.

If you plan to shoot a lot of 50-62 grain stuff choose a 1-9.

If you have the ways and means to afford big batches of the 77 grain Black Hills ammunition by all means choose the 1-7 twist.

Most of my rifles have 1-9 twist barrels right now.

If 77 grain ammo comes on the market cheap and available in large batches, I will rebarrel to 1-7. HTH

If you enjoyed reading about "Taking my first AR-15 Dive!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!