Buying an out of state gun in person.

PDA

redranger1
August 18, 2007, 12:42 AM
I am from Missouri and there is a Cabelas in KC on the Kansas side. Does anybody know if i can buy a rifle or a pistol there? I am pretty certain that a long gun can be bought, but it is the pistol that i dont know about. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying an out of state gun in person." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fisherman_48768
August 18, 2007, 12:47 AM
Have the Cabelas store in KC transfer the gun to a Cabelas in Missouri.

ChristopherG
August 18, 2007, 12:50 AM
You cannot buy a handgun other than from a FFL in your state of residence--unless they are willing to ship or otherwise get it to an FFL in your state of residence, who then 'transfers' it to you (for a small fee, say 25 bucks, usually). It's not store policy or anything--it's federal law.

GunTech
August 18, 2007, 01:07 AM
You can buy a rifle in another state as long as the sale is legal in both states.

wdlsguy
August 18, 2007, 09:58 AM
Assuming both states are okay with it, you can buy a rifle or a shotgun from an FFL in another state.

Out of state handguns have to go through an FFL in your state.

woof
August 18, 2007, 10:07 AM
I'd call Cabelas and ask them.

rxraptor02
August 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
you can pay for it in person and have them ship it to your local FFL where you will then pay the fees and fill out the forms.

I was thinking about doing that at local gun shop in Michigan. However the shipping/transfer cost on top on the gun cost was not worth it.

MisterPX
August 18, 2007, 06:56 PM
You are correct in that the long gun can be bought on site. Handguns will have to be transferred to a dealer in your state.

redranger1
August 18, 2007, 07:47 PM
This beeing the case i wonder why cabelas didnt think about their handgun sales and the location of the store being in KS. Kansas City is alot bigger on the Missouri side.

another okie
August 18, 2007, 08:53 PM
Just to clarify, it's legal to buy a long gun out of state from a licensed dealer, but a private sale is illegal.

woof
August 18, 2007, 09:10 PM
another okie, depends where you are. Ohio specifically allows long gun sales between residents of Ohio and residents of any state adjacent to Ohio as long as that state doesn't prevent it.

cobra1414
August 18, 2007, 10:13 PM
You can now buy both rifles AND handguns in MN if you are a WI resident.

I don't know if the converse is true, interesting nonetheless

wdlsguy
August 18, 2007, 10:17 PM
You can now buy both rifles AND handguns in MN if you are a WI resident.
Minnesota law might allow Wisconsin residents to purchase handguns in Minnesota, but federal law doesn't.

Gator
August 18, 2007, 10:39 PM
Ohio specifically allows long gun sales between residents of Ohio and residents of any state adjacent to Ohio as long as that state doesn't prevent it.

Not any more. The "contiguous State laws" are history. Several States may still have them on the books, but Federal law supersedes it.

joplinsks
August 18, 2007, 11:50 PM
Cabela's built their store on the Kansas side because that area around the Kansas Speedway is booming and hot in terms of traffic. I'm sure they also wanted to make it convenient for the rather affluent southern Johnson County crowd to get there via I-435. Selling handguns to MO residents wasn't a priority. Bass Pro is building a store on the east side of Independence, so that should help the MO folks around KC.

You can buy a rifle / shotgun from Cabela's KCK... but a handgun would need shipped direct from Cabela's KCK to a Missouri FFL. Cabela's KCK would probably be happy to do that for a fee.

There's a new Cabela's in St. Louis and Bass Pro in Springfield carries a fine selection of handguns that rivals Cabela's KCK in selection and price. Can they help you?

If you're looking for a great rifle deal, Bullseye Shooting Supplies in Marshfield is awesome and shouldn't be too far from Iberia.

FuzzyBunny
August 19, 2007, 12:05 AM
This is a private sale question and I don't mean to hijack this thread.
From what I hear Fed law says no private sales to out of state residents, OK.

If my brother drove across state lines to visit me does the Fed allow him to sell me a firearm he is traveling with?

Can he gift it to my son for christmas?

If it is illegal to sell can he leave it with me for safe keeping?
For instance can he store it in my safe while he leaves the country?

I'm talking Fed law in all these situations and no FFL involved..

Dang these laws are almost as complicated as the tax laws.

another okie
August 19, 2007, 04:29 PM
When you ask specific factual situations you are asking for a legal opinion and you would be wise to go to an actual lawyer and pay him or her for his or her time.

Here is a link to the law, so you can read it for yourself.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

hksw
August 19, 2007, 10:21 PM
This beeing the case i wonder why cabelas didnt think about their handgun sales and the location of the store being in KS. Kansas City is alot bigger on the Missouri side.

I would bet handgun sales make up less than 1% of Cabela's annual total sales figure.

KC&97TA
August 20, 2007, 12:43 AM
I bought both my AR-15's in MO, when I actually live in CA and am a resident of MN... Less than 5 min to buy 2 stripped lower recievers. I'm active duty Military, there's some lea way with that.

BTW: Bass Pro in Springfield is a great store, even if you don't want to buy, it's just fun to look at EVERY THING, there's alot of stuff to window shop on

MisterPX
August 20, 2007, 02:33 AM
Fuzzy, Yes he can sell it to you, Yes it can be gifted to your son BUT, it must be transfered through a FFL in your state.

He can leave it in a safe at your house, provided only he has the combination to the safe.

halvey
August 20, 2007, 09:54 AM
Minnesota law might allow Wisconsin residents to purchase handguns in Minnesota, but federal law doesn't. So I wonder why at the Sportsman Warehouse in Woodbury Minnesota, they have a sign saying that Wisconsin residents CAN purchase a pistol at the store. I wonder how they get away with breaking federal law so openly?:what:

woof
August 20, 2007, 11:15 AM
I would not carry a gun to another state to sell it face to face. Maybe that would be legal in some cases, it seems much in dispute, but I wouldn't do it either way. On the other hand, if someone from another state is willing to come to my state for a FTF I see no problem from my end. It is a certainty that the law does not impose a duty on me to verify the residence of anyone else. The person coming into my state may or may not be breaking a law, but I am not, at least if I don't know he is coming from out of state. Don't ask, don't tell.

halvey
August 20, 2007, 11:29 AM
I would not carry a gun to another state to sell it face to face. Maybe that would be legal in some cases, it seems much in dispute, but I wouldn't do it either way. On the other hand, if someone from another state is willing to come to my state for a FTF I see no problem from my end. It is a certainty that the law does not impose a duty on me to verify the residence of anyone else. The person coming into my state may or may not be breaking a law, but I am not, at least if I don't know he is coming from out of state. Don't ask, don't tell. Yeah, I can see this working out real well.

Judge: Mr. Woof, hat do you have to say for yourself, selling a gun illegally?
Woof: I didn't know the laws sir.
Judge: Oh, ok then. No problem. Case dismissed. :eek:

You may want to check out the laws and know what the heck you're doing.

Nickotym
August 20, 2007, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Minnesota law might allow Wisconsin residents to purchase handguns in Minnesota, but federal law doesn't.
So I wonder why at the Sportsman Warehouse in Woodbury Minnesota, they have a sign saying that Wisconsin residents CAN purchase a pistol at the store. I wonder how they get away with breaking federal law so openly?

They probably have an arrangement setup where the WI res picks up the handgun from a Sportsmans Ware house in WI.

woof
August 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
I know for starters that no such charges would ever be brought but if they were it would go like this:

"Well your honor, I believe I have broken no laws. I sold this .22 rifle to a man who offered to come to my home in response to a posting I made on THR. Had he told me he was a legal resident of another state I would not have made the sale, but he did not. If, your honor, there is a law saying that I, as a private party and not a firearms dealer, must ask the buyer in this circumstance what his state of residence is and verify it then I would like to change my plea to guilty. If not then I move all charges be dropped."

wdlsguy
August 20, 2007, 01:00 PM
They probably have an arrangement setup where the WI res picks up the handgun from a Sportsmans Ware house in WI.
Or they are willing to ship it to an FFL in Wisconsin.

MisterPX
August 20, 2007, 03:21 PM
I, as a WI resident, can buy a pistol in almost any state.

I just have to have it transferred into WI before I can do a 4473;)
I suspect thats what SW in MN is doing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying an out of state gun in person." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!