Remington 770

PDA

Gunnerpalace
August 18, 2007, 04:01 PM
So (see main forum for the AR piece) I returned from Gander Mountain and I handled a Remington 770, and you guys thought the 710 was junk I ran the bolt on this thing and it was so plasticy feeling I thought I was going to break it, It had a nice scope but to me the 710 feels better built than this one and it was a 30-30 I cant imagine if you shot a 300 Win Mag on that thing probably break the plastic stock. And they are charging 400.00 or so for it :what: If anything I would rather get a 710 than this rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 770" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rantingredneck
August 18, 2007, 04:07 PM
Spend 350.00-400.00 on a 700 ADL (while they last) and another 150.00 on a Nikon Prostaff scope. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Chawbaccer
August 19, 2007, 01:34 PM
Today's Cabela's flyer has Ruger MKII various calibers for $439, Rem 700 WIth youth and full size stock in 270 and '06 for $419 after $30 mail in rebate. For another 50 bucks you can get the same scope the package guns have on them.

jhagberg
August 22, 2007, 05:24 PM
I found the 770 for $329 at WalMart.

I scoured the internet for weeks looking for reviews of the 770 and found few posts by actual 770 owners. It's just too new to have many reviews out there. Many people ragged on the 710 and had bad things to say about the 770 being just another edition of a cheaply made firearm. I don't tend to take peoples opinions based on heresay very seriously and recommend you do the same.

Mostly due to price and the fact that I wouldn’t feel bad about camouflaging a cheap rifle, I bought one a few weeks ago (.243) and took it to an outdoor range for sighting-in.

My first impression after taking it out of the box and racking the bolt a few times was that yes, the bolt is pretty sloppy and sticky. I was somewhat disappointed but decided to postpone my opinion until I cleaned it and could see how it shot.

After a thorough cleaning and lubricating everything, the bolt definitely felt a lot better but still wasn’t phenomenal. At the range a buddy and I put 30 rounds through it with decent success. The scope wasn’t bad at all. My groups were consistently in the 1.5 MOA range. I think I could do better if I let the barrel cool down more between shots and also, I used several different brands of ammunition (Winchester, Remington, Federal)

My overall impression is that I’m going to like this rifle just fine and wouldn't hesitate buying one if I had to do it all over again. Bottom line is that if you want a silky smooth sniper rifle that will drive nails then save up your money and go buy one. If you want an inexpensive rifle that is plenty accurate and reliable enough to hunt with, then the 770 is a fine choice.

One last thing I will say about the 770 is that it has a few noisy bits that could get you caught on the stalk. I'm planning on wrapping the detachable magazine a few times with black electrical tape to tighten it up and reduce jiggle noise. The safety makes quite a loud *CLICK* as you push it to the fire position. I will likely pad that a bit while I'm tinkering. The last noise maker results at the interface between plastic stock and the front swivel on my sling. That will need some attention before I can sneak up on anything with ears.

JohnMcD348
August 25, 2007, 11:51 PM
I just happened to be at WalMart this evening and noticed they had a 770 with scope in the rack for about 330.00. I am in the market for a 700 but was kinda interested in the 770, since it came with a scope already, and it has a detachable magazine. I was wondering how it really compares with the 700.

rangerruck
August 26, 2007, 12:40 PM
How about that new stock though, isn't it just ugly as sin?

ohman11
April 28, 2008, 06:21 AM
I got one of these from walmart for 300 plus tax. I am not big on Tuperware guns but this one is starting to grow on me. I can easily do 1 inch groups with this rifle at 100 yards. This is a .270 BTW

Ash
April 28, 2008, 07:26 AM
No new stocks are available. While it is the 770, it is fundamentally the same rifle as the 710 other than the significant stock change. Those who have one have a capable rifle. But it is a dead-end and, so, is not really an "entry level" rifle per se. The Stevens is cheaper and you can do just about anything you want with it down the road. With the 770, you have what you have and that's it. With it being more expensive than the Stevens and Mossberg 100ATR and on par with the Savage 110, it still remains the lesser of the options available while not being a particularly good deal.

Ash

Schleprok62
April 28, 2008, 12:17 PM
For the money, you'd be better off buying either the Stevens Model 200, the Mossberg ATR 100, or the Marlin XL7. Depending on what caliber you're wanting... The Stevens offers the largest variety...

Gunnerpalace
April 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
I didn't expect thread necronism this morning,

Thanks for all the advice, I'm looking at a Weatherby Vanguard (Sub-MOA one) at this point in time. I ran the bolt on the 770 and thought I would break it.

Avenger29
April 28, 2008, 12:36 PM
the Stevens Model 200, the Mossberg ATR 100, or the Marlin XL7.

If I am shopping for a budget rifle, one of those three will go home with me.

Ash
April 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
I like the Mossberg, but really I would probably recommend the Stevens because you can do so much with it down the road. The other two are great rifles, with the Mossy being evolved from the Howa 1500. All three have barrel nuts, so theoretically you could rebarrel any of them at home.

Ash

Omaha-BeenGlockin
April 28, 2008, 01:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of the 710/770---BUT--- for the guy that fires a few sight-in groups and a shot or 2 at Bambi every year--they wouldn't really be a bad choice.

A box of shells a year for 20 years is only 400 rounds---I would expect it would last at least that long---probably longer.

Ash
April 28, 2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, they'll last that long. But, it's like a Craftsman being the same price as a K-Mart Benchtop wrench. Yeah, the Benchtop would work just fine for the average shade-tree who changes the oil on his car 4 times a year. However, at the same price, the Craftsman is so much better. What would be worse, though, would be the Craftsman pliers made in China. You can get some pretty decent American-made Channellock's for the same price, so why buy the name when it isn't as good as others for the same price?

The Stevens is cheaper yet better than the 710/770. Even if rarely shot, the hunter would still be better off buying the Stevens rather than spending a premium on Remington's name.

Ash

Polar Express
June 12, 2009, 05:30 PM
I'm actually considering two of the, one in .308, and one in 300 WM.

Something that occurs to me, is that way back when Remington introduced the 788, by comparison, wasn't it a 'throw-away' gun? It was supposed to be the bargain basement of the 700 series, and ended up out-shooting the 700, right? The bolt felt all flimsy when you opened it, but when you closed it, those 9 lugs just worked real well.

Another thing to consider: Today's 'entry level' is going to surpass yesteryears best, when it comes to manufacturing technology and tolerances. (think of the v-6 cars that now put out well over 300 hp, and go for 200K, and back in the 60's and 70's it needed to be a healthy and tuned v-8, that needed a rebuild by 100k)

Now, I'm not saying the 770 is the next 788, or that it will outshoot the flagship of today's lineup, but for sub $500, for a rifle, scope, rings, mounts, is that not a reasonable deal?

Sure, I'm more than willing to accept the 770 is at the limits of what it can do, out of the box, but I'm not a smithy.

But, it could also be a total piece of junk, and fall apart after 50 rounds. Is there a smithy that could share an opinion on the product?

I have not made the decision on what platform to purchase. But so far, I'm not ruling out the 770.

Schwartzy54
September 10, 2009, 02:14 PM
I bought the 770 last August for deer in .270 win, and didn't even bother using it. After sighting the thing in, I had a passionate hatred toward the sticky trigger and the ridiculous bolt and magazine that got stuck after almost every shot. I instead took a Parker Hale .243 out and got my three mulies.

To any thinking of buying the Remington 770, DON'T! It's the worst decision I ever made. I'm selling it as a first gun to a good friend of mine, only because he's short for cash and needs a gun for deer this year.

chevyforlife21
September 29, 2009, 11:50 PM
some friend you are schwartzy haha jk

natman
September 30, 2009, 03:49 AM
The Stevens 200 or Marlin XS / XL 7 are FAR better rifles.

The 770 has a little bit better looking stock than the 710, but that's not hard. Mechanically it appears to be the same crude junk the 710 was. Don't buy one.

Tarvis
September 30, 2009, 02:45 PM
If you really want a cheap rifle and don't care if you are disappointed, go ahead and buy the 770. I think many people hate them because they want thier toys to perform, and an extra $150 is nickles and dimes in comparison to the quality you are purchasing. If the scope seems good to you, that's great. Personally, I would rather spend the money and not be disappointed or have trouble seeing the target.

Arkel23
September 30, 2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I'm looking at a Weatherby Vanguard (Sub-MOA one) at this point in time. Look at my signature, and then look no further for another rifle!

garza
September 30, 2009, 08:05 PM
I have one in 7mm rem. mag. It kills stuff just like other rifles. :D I haven't missed anything with it yet. But I do want something of better quality & am thinking of selling my 770 to buy something else.

hometheaterman
September 30, 2009, 08:33 PM
I had a friend that had one in .300 win mag. The scope that came on it wouldn't hold zero from the kick of the rifle. He finally took the scope off and put it on a .22 magnum and it worked fine on that. However, on the .300 it would lose zero after a few shots.

He ended up selling the rifle not all that long after he got it as he didn't like how hard it kicked. I can't say I was impressed with the quality when looking over it.

However, I can say another friend has a Savage .243 bolt action he bought for not much more as a package deal at Wal-Mart and I was pretty impressed with the quality of it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was in the market.

As said above why would you even consider a 770 when there are way better guns for cheaper?

Marshhawk
October 30, 2009, 11:52 AM
Here is my take. I do not own one. But I saw a youngster at the range with one in 270 win. First it was to much gun for him in 270.Thats not the guns fault.

I offered to shoot it with my own ammo as I was sighting in a TC Venture I had in 270. He could not hold a 5 inch group at 50 yards because he was afraid of the gun.

I have to say I honestly would not give 200 dollars for this gun. Its trigger was horrible, bolt felt like someone had dumped a pound of sand into it. Rounds would not always going into the chamber. The magazine had a sloppy fit and the front half of the cartridge moved around alot in it.

I would say at best its a 2-2.5 moa gun at least the one he had.

And yes I can shoot better then 2-2.5 moa:) Shot under .75 moa in the Venture with factory rounds and under .60 with my first attempt at handloads for the Venture.

As others suggested I would recommend the Stevens or Marlin. One of the local stores here( WI) Had Marlins on sale for 279.00 which IMO is ALOT more gun for the money and a much better gun.

I guess I don't understand in todays society with all the info online available why someone would spend their money on junk IMO just because it says Remington on it.

BTW I also let the youngman(13) shoot my 243 Icon and at 100yards after he realized it wouldn't beat him up he shot a respectable group.

Bill/WI

Mr. T
November 15, 2009, 10:38 AM
I have to ask, what has happened to Remington? They used to be a company that produced quality; now they're just interested in competing with the lower level market. The 870 express is a functional gun for the money, but it is definitely not the heirloom that the wingmaster is; the new Remington Model 700's are no where near the quality of the older Remington 700's -- trust me I've been looking closely at these! They cheapened the 7400 from the 740, etc. etc. Remington used to be a close competitor to Browning, Benelli, etc. Maybe not quite up to par, but close enough that if you wanted to purchase a quality firearm and still save some money, you could do it. Now they have just gone to the dumps with their quality. I'm disappointed with the new stuff they have. You basically are getting "throw away" guns, not heirlooms!:banghead:

Arkansas Paul
November 15, 2009, 01:21 PM
You buy a Weatherby Vangaurd and you'll never be dissapointed.

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 3, 2010, 12:48 AM
I purchased this gun on 11/07/09. I shot a deer on 11/16/09, 11/18/09 and missed on 11/22/09, two deer missed on 11/23/09 and my last miss was on 12/22/09. I finally figured out the gun did not hold zero and didn't want to shoot it in the woods on my private property to see how far off it was. I took it to a private range and found out it was off by more than 6 inches from 50 yards away. I spent six more bullets trying to get it near center and finally had to give up. I returned to the woods on 12/23/09 with my 870 rifle brl. and missed one 75 yrds. away. I don't know who wrote the claim---fill your freezer---but it is not with this remington model 770 .270 and now I am just trying to figure out if I am better served by using this gun for a crow bar or a tire iron. I plan to buy a stevens tomorrow (1/3/10) with a Leupold scope and see what happens next year. In my opinion the gun I have will hold zero if you can get it there for only a few shots then it has to be re-zeroed again. I guess if you don't mind spending $20 on a box of bullets and using 10-12 to get it zeroed in then shot only one deer a year you are okay but I don't know how little your freezer has to be to "fill the freezer". Remington must mean the freezer under the refridgerator along with the ice cream and ice cubes. Remington customer service was not helpful during this time. So I took two deer, missed five all 75 yrds. or less away from me and called it a year. Next year I will not be using this gun.

Avenger29
January 3, 2010, 01:30 AM
I've got a question...why are you deciding to go with a different gun rather than trying a better quality scope on your 770?

Your case just sounds like the usual "Crappy scope ruined by hunt(s)" story. A better quality scope than the $20 scope that Rem. slaps on their rifle should do better and actually hold zero. You won't find any love for the 710 or 770 from me, but blaming the gun for what is an el cheapo scope failure just doesn't seem fair to me.

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 6, 2010, 02:15 PM
Okay, you suggest a better scope might cure my problems with this guns accuracy? What scope do you suggest I put on this $400 rifle? I looked at a stevens, weatherby, and both appear to have a better action than this sticky, plastic, bolt action. I have a gun vise so getting close to center is not a problem. Any suggestion is helpful. Figure I missed 3 deer, thinking the other two might have been my fault and you come up with $900 worth of meat at $3 a lb. I don't want to miss next year.

Mr_Pale_Horse
January 6, 2010, 02:58 PM
Stevengunsaremuchbetter,

Regardless of what gun you end up with next year, you need a much better scope than comes with a 770, or any other package deal (except maybe TC scopes).

I recommend one of the following as a bare minimum scope with respect to value and durability ($130-$200 depending on size and where/how you buy it):

Bushnell 3200
Burris Fullfield II
Nikon Prostaff

Then put it in some good rings/bases, another $40-50 dollars.

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 6, 2010, 03:48 PM
I have heard of the Nikon Prostaff. You suggest before I turn this gun into a crow bar (sell it at the gun shop and buy a stevens or weatherby vanguard .270) I purchase this scope and some decent mounting equipment and give this gun another chance?

Thanks, Mr. Pale Horse for prompt reply.

Avenger 29, back in June of 2005 on this forum you said:

Do you still feel the same way. I get the feeling from your last posting you agree with Mr. Pale Horse and believe that a good scope with mounting equipment might solve all my problems? Also, how high should I mount this scope, is lower better?

Thanks for the input.

Mr_Pale_Horse
January 6, 2010, 04:28 PM
Normal height above line of bore is 1.5". However, as long as the eyepiece or ocular diameter is easily clear buy the bolt handle as you cycle the action, is usually the limiting factor, unless you buy an enormous objective, say 50mm or larger.

Uncle Mike
January 6, 2010, 05:42 PM
Best bet of your choices is the Stevens, these are accurate right out of the box.

The Weatherby Vanguard, as long as you get the 'sub-MOA' is a good choice also.

The standard Vanguard(Howa) is a hit or miss proposition...we get a good report from about every 7th or 8th one we sell, the rest are so so to hear the customers tell, but they seem to like them none the less.

The Stevens with a 40mm objective scope on it will give you good enough cheek weld, trash the factory stock and get a Bell and Carlson medalist and you can safely go to a 44mm objective.
Of course a Kartsen adjustable cheek piece will remedy the factory stock for just a little cash(less than a B&C stock) and you can mount ANY size objective you like.

Keep in mind that the Savage Stevens rifles' actions are fairly long, comparatively, so you will more than likely need to use a 'picatinny rail' type base to enable you to get the proper eye relief.

Your assumption of 'lower is better' is spot on. Mount the scope as low as you can leaving enough room between the barrel and objective bell to slip on a scope cover or such.

Stay away from the Mossberg. The Marlin is a good rifle, but the Stevens is the best of the bunch you mention!

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 6, 2010, 05:51 PM
Okay, so what I hear most people saying is junk the remington model 770 .270 and purchase a stevens .270. Do I buy a package deal with the stevens or do I buy the gun and mount the scope seperately? Wow, I can not begin to tell you the frustration of only hitting a few deer after seeing so many, so close. I don't want to go through this next year. Your help is appreciated.

Avenger29
January 6, 2010, 07:22 PM
Okay, so what I hear most people saying is junk the remington model 770 .270 and purchase a stevens .270. Do I buy a package deal with the stevens or do I buy the gun and mount the scope seperately? Wow, I can not begin to tell you the frustration of only hitting a few deer after seeing so many, so close. I don't want to go through this next year. Your help is appreciated.

If you're going to buy another rifle, then buy the scope/mounts and rifle separately, unless the package deal is cheaper. If you buy the package deal, take the scope off and sell it, either on this site or elsewhere, so you aren't tempted to use it. Basically, put better glass on it either way...and it'll save you frustration on your hunts...

A rifle, even an affordable one like a Stevens or Savage rifle, deserves decent glass- as good as you can afford. The best way to go might be to sell the Remington 770...

The Stevens 200 is currently the one I'd choose, particuarly because you can change the barrel to a different caliber without much trouble at all. Also, since it is basically a Savage rifle without the accutrigger, most Savage accessories and parts fit, so you can customize it as you see fit.

Do you still feel the same way. I get the feeling from your last posting you agree with Mr. Pale Horse and believe that a good scope with mounting equipment might solve all my problems? Also, how high should I mount this scope, is lower better?

Personally, I think a good scope is the first thing to try out. If you are still dissatisfied with the 770, then sell the rifle and keep the scope for the rifle you buy next.

lopezni
January 6, 2010, 08:22 PM
the rem 770 is the worst rifle ever made period.

Uncle Mike
January 6, 2010, 08:40 PM
the rem 770 is the worst rifle ever made period.

You never did any time with a Remington 710? or maybe the Mossberg offerings.

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 6, 2010, 08:53 PM
Okay everyone, I have figured out what I am planning to do. If anyone disagrees please let me know. After reading other forums and finding the same disgusted buyers of this Remington model 770 I have decided to buy the Stevens .270 and put on a Nikon Prostaff scope.

I am not sure what to do with the Remington because I don't want anyone else to feel the frustration I endured this hunting season so I guess I will just throw it back in the box and hope someone robs my house someday and I can use the gun as part of my insurance deductible. Of course I will not leave it on the porch but I will put it in the porch window and hope for the best. My only concern with this is the thief realizes the error of stealing a Remington model 770 and tries to return the gun, crying like a little girl and begging me not to press charges for breaking and entering.

Another issue is the insurance company denying the claim due to a lack of value in the aforementioned merchandise stolen. I don't know if there is a book that states gun values but this is probably the first gun with a negative value. I can only imagine making an insurance claim and the paperwork coming back where the insurance agent asks me to pay them a couple hundred dollars because the stolen merchandise had a negative value and actually devalued my home by being in the house.

Uncle Mike
January 6, 2010, 08:59 PM
I am not sure what to do with the Remington 770

The make a pretty good mailbox post!

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 6, 2010, 09:15 PM
Uncle Mike, do you own one of these guns?

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 6, 2010, 09:17 PM
Anyone interested in buying this gun for parts or to have two so when one goes bad you have another bad gun to back it up? I can see it now, the deer come to your blind because they know you have a pair of Remington model 770's and it is the safest spot in the woods. Word travels fast with deer.

Avenger29
January 6, 2010, 09:54 PM
Stevensgunsaremuchbetter, please post a "For Sale" ad in the "Trading Post" at the bottom of this forum's page. Sell it for some money instead of letting it sit, taking up room!

Here's the link here for the "For Sale" forum for rifles. http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 6, 2010, 10:13 PM
Okay, Avenger what do you think is a fair price for this gun. I paid $379 for it in Michigan (6% sales tax) and I should receive $40 rebate back from Remington. What do you think is a fair price for this gun? In other words, if you owned this gun what would you sell it for? I purchased it 11/07/09. Thanks for your help.

Mr_Pale_Horse
January 6, 2010, 11:02 PM
I see one on gun broker with 8 bids, currently going for $240.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=152257050

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 6, 2010, 11:34 PM
My Remington model 770 .270 is now up for sale.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=496725

The gun above doesn't have a scope, the gun I am selling has a Bushnell scope although I don't know how good it is. My guess would be it is less than average. I haven't been out with the gun vise to zero the gun back in because at the range I only had six bullets but I am close. I used my Remington 870 shotgun the last day I went hunting with a rifle barrel and Hornady SST ammo and missed yet another deer from less than 75 yards away. I am just so frustrated with the whole season I can't see straight. Seven deer within 75 yards and only put two in the freezer. Wow, I can't explain how frustrating this is. Anyways, I am going to buy the Stevens Model 200 and put a good piece of glass on it and know I will do better next year. Hopefully I will fill all my tags during bow season and won't even have to get out the gun.

Uncle Mike
January 7, 2010, 02:01 AM
Uncle Mike, do you own one of these guns?

No way buddy! But I have sent plenty back to Remington for repair, and have shot hundreds of rounds through different 770's setting them up for customers.

They can be accurate, but it is the exception. Most folks feel as you do.

Don't fret, how would you have known Remington is turning out such junk. Many have been surprised.

adamcoins
January 7, 2010, 10:18 AM
I have been following this thread and contacted Remington at info@remington.com to get their reply to this thread. I summarized the thread:

Your gun is described as junk, plastic, cheap, bolt is sloppy and sticky, safety and magazine are "noisy", trigger needs adjustment, Tupperware gun, ugly as sin, not a good deal, sticky trigger, ridiculous magazine, doesn't hold zero and this is only the first page of the thread. On the second page...

Let us see if someone from Remington signs on to this thread to defend their gun or if leadership is truly dead in America. Here at Michigan State University we teach leadership and GM was told in 2004 they would have trouble staying in business with their product line and there are many other companies who were warned and did not heed our advice and look where they are now. Remington, if you know what is good for your business you will address these issues and make the customer your first priority instead of profits because price becomes an issue in the absence of value.

Nice reading all that has been written and rarely do you see a thread where almost everyone agrees--this gun should have never made it out of development.

scchokedaddy
January 7, 2010, 11:14 AM
I looked at all mentioned weapons, decided on Marlin XL 7 in 25 06. Reason was it felt better and had trigger similar to acu trigger. Best decision made in long time. I am not a great shot,too much Red Man,tea, sodas and toting round about 75 extra pounds, but from bench out box, after zeroing in, shot 1 inch group at 100 yards. Mounted Konus Pro 3x12x50 illuminated recticle{?}. Next group was about 3/4 inch. Was very supprised. Will be buying XS7 in 7mm08. Also bought 308 Marlin Express about a month before WOW!!!!, but thats another post. Needles to say, I am now Marlin fan. Also, read on another sight that savage barrell and tools are same,still trying to verify this,allthough they do seem to be same. Winchester model 70 mounts fit Marlin for both long and short action. I own a Savage with acu trigger and see little difference between it and Marlins. I am not gonna make any comment on GREENIES lack of quality cause ya'll got it covered very well. I urge you to find someone with the weapon we have all recomended and shoot each one if possible before you buy. other rifles I own A bolt 7mm rem, model 70 270, parker hale 243, Rem 788 in 6mm,7mm08,308, Rem 660 in 308,Interarms in 308, Rem 700 221 Fireball and XP100 in 221, Savage in 17hmr and 270. See I am equal oppurtunity, in other words "POLITICALY CORRECT" LOL GOOD LUCK and GOD BLESS

lopezni
January 7, 2010, 03:41 PM
I have been following this thread and contacted Remington at info@remington.com to get their reply to this thread. I summarized the thread:

In case you didn't know, Remington is now owned by a corporate entity that owns Bushmaster and other manufacturers. All they are concerned with now is covering the cost of their corporate overhead to keep form being sold again or shut down. This is the same for most gun manufacturer's. The problem is the gun magazine's never write a bad review about a firearm. So people have this idea that all these cheap rifles really aren't junk when they are. Get the cheap Savage, the Model: 11 FCXP3. It sells for under $400. The only difference between it and the more expensive version the FXP3 is lack of the accutrigger.

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 7, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hey, I have an idea. Why don't we all send Remington a message:
info@remington.com
and tell them what a piece of junk this rifle is and see what they say, if anything.
Can't hurt. What do you say? Lets try. I don't know what they do about it but anything is better than nothing. Come on America. If we don't stand for something then we stand for nothing.

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 7, 2010, 05:37 PM
Lopezni,
The difference between the savage model 11 fcxp3 and the stevens model 200 are similar? Do you agree the Nikon Pro Staff 3x9x40 scope is a good choice? bushnell 3200? Burris FullfieldII? Again, anyone else want to chime in with the best combo in a .270 bolt action rifle and scope combination I would appreciate any advise.

BTW, Remington contacted me today and asked to have the gun sent back to them so they can see why I missed five deer? They want to make sure the mechanics of the gun have integrity. They are sending me a prepaid postage label so I can send the gun right to them and they will look over the gun and the Bushnell scope on the gun to see what may have happened. It doesn't get my meat back but maybe they get to look at what they built and evaluate how effective this gun is. Who knows, maybe I knocked the scope off line somehow and it is my fault and only needs to be re-zeroed. I don't hear as many voices who think this is a good gun as much as I hear voices who think this gun is made strictly to add to the bottom line of the gun producer and cheat the gun buyer out of a positive hunting experience. IMHO

lopezni
January 7, 2010, 07:52 PM
get the nikon with the BDC reticule. It will have better lenses than either of your choices and a more useful reticule, especially for a 3-9x on a .270. It only costs around $159, when you install the bases and rings be sure to use thread locker. You wont have any problems with your optic.

adamcoins
January 8, 2010, 10:48 AM
Okay, I have done some research on this issue and believe I have the facts. Remington has changed owners several times and the current owner is Cerberus, (i.e. Chrysler, Marlin, etc. etc.) a hedge fund company. Cerberus policy and procedure does not support professional development through their dealer network letting potential buyers know the model 700 .270 is their signature gun but leave it up to each dealer to tell you whatever they want you to know. Responsibility for leadership/chaos is theirs and theirs alone. Too much to tell about poor leadership in America for this forum using binary opposition. The Remington model 770 .270 is designed to be a beginner gun for the novice hunter. It is inexpensive but Remington maintains it is accurate and safe to operate. This is supported with a two year warranty. It is unfortunate that any gun dealer would sell a model 770 .270 without telling you Remington's signature gun is the model 700 .270 and before you buy the model 770 you should go home and sleep on it but that is where leadership is at Cerberus, Remington and America today. While there are always exceptions they are getting fewer and farther between as time moves forward.

I suggest if you are going to buy a Remington .270 you get the model 700 and put on a piece of good glass.

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 8, 2010, 12:36 PM
http://www.cerberuscapital.com/index.html

Cerburus commitment statement

We work patiently and constructively with management teams and we have a deep respect for operational excellence. We succeed when our companies succeed, to the benefit of our portfolio companies' employees, customers, suppliers and the communities in which they operate.

We hold ourselves and all of our portfolio companies and management teams to the highest ethical standards and business practices. Cerberus believes that strong corporate governance is the cornerstone of our business.

RevolverMan567
January 9, 2010, 08:36 PM
so did you ever change out the free pos scope or not?

just curious cause its probably your problem all along

GunsBeerFreedom
January 9, 2010, 10:38 PM
I've handled them before and feel, for the price, they get the job done. Nothing to write home about, but accurate enough. Don't know how 'soldier proof' they are though. Plan to find out soon enough.

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
January 9, 2010, 10:42 PM
No not yet, I am trying to sell this gun first then if it doesn't sell I will work on it. I will keep everyone posted as to my progress with what I am accomplishing so no one is uninformed.

Remington 770
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-770/model-770.aspx
It’s the latest, greatest edition of out-of-the-box accuracy and hunting performance from Remington – now in stainless steel with a rugged RealtreeŽ AP™ HD™ camo stock. An upgrade of our famous Model 710,™ the new Model 770™ is the perfect choice for any hunter looking to fast-forward through the process of selecting a scope and components. It comes with a pre-mounted and boresighted 3-9x40mm riflescope. But most importantly, it’s built to our rigorous standards for accuracy and reliability. Simply choose your ammo and you’re ready to shoot.

It features the same great action and barrel as our Model 710 (based on the Model 700™) with super-accurate button rifling, and a more durable magazine latch. Other advancements include a new, ergonomically contoured stock with a raised cheekpiece for rapid scope-to-eye alignment, and grips are textured in all the right places for superior shot control. Offered in a selection of long- and short-action calibers, the Model 770 is the quickest route to legendary status, and a full freezer.

GunsBeerFreedom
January 9, 2010, 10:44 PM
Did you get my PM Steve?

adamcoins
January 10, 2010, 06:27 PM
I seen this gun for sale and now the sale thread is closed. Is this gun no longer for sale? I won't be so quick to sell this gun until I took Lopenzi's advise and put a good piece of glass on this gun. While you are frustrated now just think how frustrated you will be when you find out no matter what gun you choose starts with a good scope and if you kept this gun you wouldn't be out the $50-100 you are selling this gun for now. Buy a good scope (I recommend the Nikon BDC), shoot different ammo until you get what works best in your gun, and learn how to shoot this gun. This gun will be no worse or better than any other gun if you do not perform the due diligence necessary with any new gun you purchase in the future. Good Luck

Stevengunsaremuchbetter
February 12, 2010, 07:46 PM
Okay, here is the outcome. Remington took the model 770 back and provided a model 700. Seems there was a manufacturing defect with the model 770 or something different I do not know but it did not kill deer at 75 yrds. and that was very frustrating. Now the model 700 has a burris 200162 scope mounted with leupold rings and I haven't had an opportunity to get out in the field and see how it shots but I expect it will be much different than last year. Thanks for everyones help. I appreciated reading all your input and ultimately it made a big difference in what I have now. I would also like to thank Remington for taking the initiative to look into my situation and offer me a satisfactory solution. Many thanks go to all the Remington representatives I spoke with in repair, customer service and management.

frankiestoys
February 12, 2010, 08:11 PM
I recently purchased this 700 ADL .270 for $449 otd with a $40 mail in rebate (recieved it today) and installed a Nikon pro-staff about $150 i looked at the 770 and i am in no way a bolt action expert but comparing the two side by side, it was a clear choice wich was the better rifle.

ncturkey
March 15, 2010, 06:22 PM
Okay, here is the outcome. Remington took the model 770 back and provided a model 700. Seems there was a manufacturing defect with the model 770 or something different I do not know but it did not kill deer at 75 yrds. and that was very frustrating. Now the model 700 has a burris 200162 scope mounted with leupold rings and I haven't had an opportunity to get out in the field and see how it shots but I expect it will be much different than last year. Thanks for everyones help. I appreciated reading all your input and ultimately it made a big difference in what I have now. I would also like to thank Remington for taking the initiative to look into my situation and offer me a satisfactory solution. Many thanks go to all the Remington representatives I spoke with in repair, customer service and management.
Glad to see you got your Remington problem fixed. I will never on a cheaply made rifle,shotgun or pistol. The Remington 700's are great rifles in my book. Great glass makes all the difference too. Plus the mounts are equally important. Guys if ya'll want a good affordable rifle do the reseasrch so you do not get a lemon again. I got a friend who ask me about the Remington 770 today. I told him to stay away from those chaeply made Remington. I told him he would do better buy buying a Remington 700 with good mounts and great optics. There so good deals out there you just have to do you homework before you buy. I have a Remington 700 ML .50 cal rifle that will out shoot the Remington 770. I can go on but I will stop. See ya, Mike

ncturkey
March 15, 2010, 06:24 PM
I recently purchased this 700 ADL .270 for $449 otd with a $40 mail in rebate (recieved it today) and installed a Nikon pro-staff about $150 i looked at the 770 and i am in no way a bolt action expert but comparing the two side by side, it was a clear choice wich was the better rifle.
Great looking rifle.

jg_17hmrsavage
April 29, 2010, 12:20 AM
you guys are wack! so much bashing without even giving something time. of course some of you may have and have the room to speak but for some of you its just dumb. original poster im sorry but your an idiot if you took a gun right out of the pack and went hunting with it instead of the range. maybe then you would have a halve full freezer. or maybe inspect the rifle to notice the absence of lube on the bolt. did you clean the shipping grease in the barrel and magazine. i am not a die hard hunter but i am a mechanic.... strange to bring that up i know but you guys sound like the import crowd versus domestics or euros. it seems like once someone likes their choice of car/rifle brand every other rifle has to be the same. even if its better it sucks... or it could suck but now its a crow bar. i own four 770 in 270,300,308 and the very fun 30-06 i say fun cause its my favorite caliber. the bolts do tend to be sticky at first but after a quick lube up and range time its smooth as can be. i could keep going but why bother. by the way my savage and marlin came with very poor bolts too nothing big but if a sticky bolt bothers you then it would have killed you

Oceans
April 29, 2010, 12:48 AM
Certainly there has to be a used good shape ADL out there at a reasonable price. Before I would purchase a 770/710 I would get a clean mil surp and scope it: yes, I would rather even have a Nagant over the 710/770 That's just me.

DIM
April 29, 2010, 02:56 AM
Dick's had sale in February on ADL and SPS all had same Remington scope and they were all priced ad 399.99 plus 40 dollars rebate, I couldn't resist so I bought one 700 SPS in .223 Using Black Hills ammo this thing was punching 1/2 - 3/4" 5 shot groups after bedding its stock groups had shrunk to .25 - .4"

Gunlover10
April 29, 2010, 04:09 PM
What does it matter if it is ugly. It's a gun that does it's job.

roc1
April 29, 2010, 08:49 PM
I bought a Remington 700 ADL from Academy Sports for $350 so why buy a 770 for $329? The 770 is a cheap rifle with an even cheaper scope on it. now Savage has dropped to making the Edge which in pics appears to be the same type of gun. Both of these companies make great rifles still so why make the cheap junk? Save your money and get the 700 a complete different quality weapon.
roc1

Gunlover10
April 30, 2010, 04:41 PM
Well I am extremley satisfied with my Remington 770. I have a .270 and just absoulutley love it. It has a pretty heavy kick but I am use to it. :D. Look, you should't put down another persons if they are happy with it. Be happy with your guns and let the others be happy with theres.

Art Eatman
April 30, 2010, 11:24 PM
And on a happy note we can all go to bed. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 770" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!