After 5 1/2 hours, We passed!

PDA

harbinger_j
August 18, 2007, 10:32 PM
Hunter Education in NJ:

from 8am till 1:30pm and now my wife and I are qualified to hunt with shotgun, rifle and muzzle loaders in NJ!
The course was very interesting for someone like me who has never hunted. But it took forever. The longest part was waiting in line with the 75+ other people there.

First I had to shoot a .22, then a muzzle loader, then a shotgun.
After that was a field walk through and a written test (80 questions I scored 100%). All of this after I filled out a workbook at home (2+ hours of study).

Still after all this book learnin' I know I am unprepared to hunt, I need to go out with some experienced hunters to learn how to hunt.

If you enjoyed reading about "After 5 1/2 hours, We passed!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
August 18, 2007, 10:42 PM
Marksmanship is obviously important. So is safety.

If you want to reliably kill game, you need to spend a lot of time in the field studying the area you will hunt, and studying the habits of the animals. Spending time with other "hunters" may - or may not - be helpful. Very few of the "other hunters" I've hunted with taught me much. Your time alone in the woods will force you to learn.

Maybe the "other hunter" thing will pay off if you can find an old-timer to show you his "place to hunt." If you are lucky enough to find a mentor like that, be sure to respond generously.

koja48
August 19, 2007, 09:18 AM
Congratulations & welcome to the hunting world! Practice the safety basics consistently . . . the rest will come with the experience hunting, reading, and learning from others will provide. Enjoy . . .

Rembrandt
August 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
You got off easy...Hunter Education courses in Iowa are a minimum 10hrs. We usually do ours over two evenings and a Saturday.

Congratulations and good hunting!

testar77
August 22, 2007, 12:44 PM
WOW, Marksmanship tests to get a huntin license??? If they decided to do that in this state, I bet the amount of hunters in the woods would be cut by HALF at least :D

Toby

harbinger_j
August 23, 2007, 04:42 PM
Actually there was no requirement for firearm marksmanship.
You only had to exhibit proper safety while handling.

To qualify for bow hunting there was a marksmanship requirement. 3 out of 5 in the kill zone of a deer target at 15 yards. You didn't have to be an expert but proficient.

Rembrandt:10 hours of classes! I thought 5 hours was long, but I did spend almost 3 hours filling out the home study workbook.

Andrewsky
August 23, 2007, 05:22 PM
Just remember the order of importance of these things while hunting:

1. Safety
2. Legality
3. Respect of Wildlife and their Habitat
4. Fun

If you enjoyed reading about "After 5 1/2 hours, We passed!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!