simple green soak?

PDA

clintonwelding1
August 18, 2007, 11:37 PM
I havent cleaned my ar-15 in awhile. Would it be safe to let the bolt carrier and bolt sock in simple green over night?

If you enjoyed reading about "simple green soak?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lee n. field
August 18, 2007, 11:49 PM
Is either nickel plated?

USAFrenegade
August 18, 2007, 11:59 PM
Don't use simple green, my buddy did on his romanian ak and swears it never worked the same, granted a romainian is nothing but junk any way. there is this remington gun cleaner and oil spray that works awesome. i use it on all my weapons. you could pick up an 8oz can at wallmart for about 6 bucks.

clintonwelding1
August 18, 2007, 11:59 PM
i don't know. How would I tell?

joplinsks
August 19, 2007, 12:03 AM
I wouldn't. Simple Green is very caustic and dries out metal. I'd stick with any good gun solvent like the Remington cleaner that another posted mentioned or Hoppes #9.

clintonwelding1
August 19, 2007, 12:05 AM
can i just spray it down and scrub it then? I heard simple green was really good to clean with.

USAFrenegade
August 19, 2007, 12:08 AM
Simple green is good for cleaning, but not cleaning guns. that remington spray all you do is spray and scrub, and the gunk comes right off, its great stuff.

nico
August 19, 2007, 12:23 AM
It's really not a good idea. Simple green is a pretty harsh cleaner, and if you happen to get it on the upper or lower, it'll remove the anodizing.

A gun-specific degreaser like Slip2000 will do a very thorough job without the risk of doing any damage.

Fast Frank
August 19, 2007, 12:55 AM
Why not get some "for real" gun cleaning products?

Many people like Hoppes, or Butch's, or Shooter's Choice.

These products are specifically designed to dissolve the gunk in your gun and they work.

W.E.G.
August 19, 2007, 01:00 AM
I use a thin screwdriver to scrape the carbon out of the back of the carrier, then I wipe it down with Break-Free CLP.

Scrape the carbon off the tail of the bolt too.

funfaler
August 19, 2007, 01:05 AM
I have used Simple Green on steel and plastic, not aluminum.

I don't soak it, by any means. I spray it on, and scrub, then rinse it off, with water. Blow dry with compressed air. Coat everything really well with Rem oil or BreakFree CLP, and wipe off very good.

Simple Green will take every bit of oil/grease off of your metal, thus you don't want it to soak, as it will start to rust very quickly. You will want to be sure you get is all coated again with an oil of some sort, as soon as it is dry. I like the two oils above.

I only do this once or so a year as a thorough cleaning. Rest of the time I use solvents and such, as described in the posts above.

DBR
August 19, 2007, 01:06 AM
Buy some ATF at your local auto parts store and soak the parts in that for as long as it takes. Army tests determined that ATF was an effective and safe carbon remover and better than most over the counter gun products. No I can't cite the source, it is from my "good stuff" notes.

Simple Green is not kind to steel and can destroy aluminum. A short exposure like 30M or less for steel is OK. This info is from the folks at Simple Green tech services.

GigaBuist
August 19, 2007, 01:10 AM
I've used it on steel mags (mostly AK) a number of times and a few times on milsurps to get some really thick grease out.

It's a dereaser, not a carbon cutter. Use something that's designed for carbon on your AR's bolt. If you want to go cheap and easy I guess brake cleaner might be the thing to use.

Still, relube as soon as the cleaning is done.

trueblue1776
August 19, 2007, 01:10 AM
It's generally used as an industrial degreaser, I don't think it would hurt your carrier group (at all). Then again I can't see any benefit to doing it.

If you enjoyed reading about "simple green soak?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!