Ruger 10/22 rediscovered and modification thread/hopefully with pics

PDA

Browning
August 18, 2007, 10:57 PM
The Ruger 10/22 Rediscovered

Since ammo prices on centerfire rifles has gone up I've been spending more and more time at the range with my lowly Ruger 10/22. It was the first rifle I bought when I turned 18 (many moons ago) and although I shot it alot when I first got it, it found it's way to the back of the closet gradually after a year or two and then later to the back of the safe where it had resided ever since.

Well it's been dragged out again and after staring longingly at other guys Ruger 10/22 mods over at Rimfire Central . Com I've finally started to do some of my own slowly but surely.

Today it got a Nikon 3.5 - 14 X 40 MD scope (that was going to go on a different rifle originally) with a Weaver base and Burris rings. Anyway I took it to the range today and I don't remember what kind of groups it got before (as I haven't shot it in a long time), but damn it was accurate. I was actually able to hit the tacks on the side of target paper once I got it sighted in. A ten shot group was about the size of a silver dollar and a couple times I was able to bear down and get nickel sized 5 shot groups at 50 yards and quarter sized 5 shot groups at 100 yards with regular Federal copper jacketed HP's that I bought for less than $12 @ Walmart.

Even when I didn't do my part as well the high magnification glass helped tremendously. Now if only it had a better trigger, some better ammo, a better stock and a better barrel, think of what it could do then. I was kind of getting the rimfire bug before, but now it's a full blown disease and I feel the need to reach out to others afflicted with this terrible affliction. I was thinking about getting a Bell and Carlson Anshultz stock, a new trigger and a Carbon Fiber barrel for it before, but now it's taken on some urgency now that I've had a taste of what it can do.

Some of the ideas I've got rolling around for it.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/BellCarlson/Ruger1022.asp

http://www.eabco.com/102204.html

http://eabco.com/Ruger1022Barrels.html

http://eabco.com/images/ruger102206.gif

The funny thing is that this started as a way of SAVING MONEY. :rolleyes:

So what have you guys done to your Ruger 10/22's??? Anybody been spending alot more time behind one as the result of ammo prices on centerfire rifle ammo? Anything new that you added that you'd like to share? Best ammo that you've found for rimfire plinking? *Gun Pics Of Your Ruger 10/22 Modifications Are Also Much Appreciated*

I'll join in with some pics when I get that barrel and stock and once I figure out how to post them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 rediscovered and modification thread/hopefully with pics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GRAPHIX
August 18, 2007, 11:13 PM
Dear BROWNING,

Try www.hornetproducts.com they carry a complete line of accesories for your plinker. I'd send you some so so pics of mine on this thread, but I haven't figured out how to do this yet.

flynlr
August 19, 2007, 05:27 AM
I am trying to get the ugliest 10/22 possible. :eek:
getting there.
http://www.njrod.com/images/hf/ugly1022.jpg

Browning
August 19, 2007, 10:27 AM
Dear BROWNING,
Try www.hornetproducts.com the carry a complete line of accesories for your plinker. I'd send you some so so pics of mine on this thread, but I haven't figured out how to do this yet.

Thanks, it looks like a good site.

They've got a bunch of different Bell & Carlson stocks, just not the Anshultz stock that I wanted.

They've got a bunch of carbon fiber barrels and triggers though.

Browning
August 19, 2007, 10:30 AM
flynlr : I am trying to get the ugliest 10/22 possible.
getting there.

Who was it who said "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"?

Besides I think it looks pretty good for a field .22 meant for plinking.

More importantly how does it shoot?

W.E.G.
August 19, 2007, 10:45 AM
Best ammo for all my .22's (including the 10/22) has been CCI Mini-Mag.

The "bargain packs" always seem to be inconsistent and/or underpowered.

Mini-Mag is top shelf ammo.

Browning
August 19, 2007, 10:56 AM
Does anyone know of which .22 match grade ammo that's affordable? I remember CCI made some kind of match grade ammo called "Green" something or other, but I can't remember the exact name. Does anybody know which ammo this is?

PTK
August 19, 2007, 11:06 AM
I'm not certain if it's match grade, but I tend to use CCI MiniMags and CCI standard velocity. When hunting, they make a SGB (small game bullet) that works well.

alucard0822
August 19, 2007, 11:17 AM
I just finished a quick build of my wal-mart 10-22 carbine that has previously only been busted out to introduce new shooters. With some help here in the THR markeplace, some detail work polishing the lockwork and bedding the revival discounted "irregular" stock, I have a 22 that at least looks the part, and ran $200 in mods, not including some parts I had laying around from other rifles haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I have high hopes, and will post a pic as soon as I get home from work.

butler creek fluted stainless 20" barell courtesy of Riley007

Yukon extreme thumbhole stock in electric blue

The single best mod any 10/22 owner can do for $35, auto bolt release and 2lb trigger
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=9

bedded the action with some bondo polyglass I had laying around. polished all the pins and bearing surfaces, reangled the sear to match the new hammer, polished the firing pin cleaned and lubed everything

and an unknown model of tasco 3-9X40 scope I didn't know I had, on quicksite rings (found with the scope) and a weaver base

I will see how it feels to shoot in it's current config, and possibly upgrade the glass (looking at a nikon prostaff 3-9X40), put in an adj trigger, and target bolt handle/guide/spring.

It will be nice to have a tackdriver to go along with my buckmark hunter

MarineTech
August 19, 2007, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know of which .22 match grade ammo that's affordable? I remember CCI made some kind of match grade ammo called "Green" something or other, but I can't remember the exact name. Does anybody know which ammo this is?

It's CCI Green Tag, and it's not bad. It's not exactly match, but it's a step up from their normal plinking fodder. Cheaper than most match ammo too, and I've yet to find a .22 that doesn't shoot decently with it.

koja48
August 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
Browning ~ Winchester power points shoot best out of mine, but for about 1/2 the price, American Eagle 37gr HPs shoot right respectable groups. Include adding a buffer kit/pin to your planned mods . . . easy, cheap, and saves wear & tear on the bolt. If carbon fiber barrels were readily available when I modified mine, I likely would have used 1 of those rather than the SS Midway match barrel, but it is a shooter, just a tad heavy. You can also adjust the spring tension of the factory mags to whatever ammo you settle on. Now I'm going to have to consider a Bell & Carlson stock so I can "save some more money."

Fly ~ Nice job; just seeing that would scare small game to death. Now if you really want ugly, get a shot of me in the photo . . .

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w305/koja48/10_22001.jpg

bannockburn
August 19, 2007, 11:49 AM
My 10/22 has always performed best with CCI MiniMags; nothing even runs a close second. And while accuracy was fine with the iron sights, putting on an old Weaver K2.5 just made things even better. The only other mod I have for the gun is a Butler Creek folding stock, which is as good of a fit as the original factory stock.

Browning
August 19, 2007, 12:17 PM
koja48 : Browning ~ Winchester power points shoot best out of mine, but for about 1/2 the price, American Eagle 37gr HPs shoot right respectable groups.
Hmm, never used either one. Mostly I used CCI Mini-Mag, Remington or Federal HP's just because they seem to do fairly well and they're all pretty cheap (10 to 12 bucks for a brick of 500 rounds). I get the copper jacketed ones just to help keep it a little cleaner and to avoid lead fingers. Plus they always seemed a little more accurate.

Include adding a buffer kit/pin to your planned mods . . . easy, cheap, and saves wear & tear on the bolt.

What does that consist of? I've seen those plastic rubber buffers that reduce wear and tear on your gun before. I think that they're made by Buffer Tech and it's just a piece of rubber that you stick to the back of your reciever so that the bolt isn't hitting the reciever, or something like that.

I'm assuming that this is more of a spring and pin kit from the description.

If carbon fiber barrels were readily available when I modified mine, I likely would have used 1 of those rather than the SS Midway match barrel, but it is a shooter, just a tad heavy. You can also adjust the spring tension of the factory mags to whatever ammo you settle on. Now I'm going to have to consider a Bell & Carlson stock so I can "save some more money."

Yeah, I like the idea of a carbon fiber barrel just to reduce weight as it'll be pretty heavy just from the scope, rings and B&C Anshultz stock. I don't want to add more weight than I have too. The stock that you have on it looks about the same as the B&C Anshultz does, what stock is that???

Now if you really want ugly, get a shot of me in the photo . . .

Very nice, mine will look, feel and probably shoot pretty much the same as that one does.

That's pretty much what I'm going for anyway.

koja48
August 19, 2007, 12:22 PM
Browning ~

It's a replacement pin (believe it's made out of some type of polymer/nylon?). You drive the old steel pin out as you drive the new one in. Over time, the rear of the Ruger bolt will deform from slamming into the stock steel pin. Eliminates the loud "clack" as the rifle cycles & supposedly speeds-up lock time a tad, tho I've never noticed this if it does.

Browning
August 19, 2007, 12:24 PM
Awwwwww I see, okay thanks.

So what stock did you have on there??

koja48
August 19, 2007, 12:38 PM
Hogue, but the outer "skin" is starting to flake in places, however, this rifle has bounced all over Montana & Wa state over the years. I like the design of the Bell & Carlson, but I'm a southpaw & didn't find the one I liked suitable for lefties. I put one on the 10/22 I assembled for my Son, also . . . for the money, it was pretty darn "kid-proof."

Browning
August 19, 2007, 12:51 PM
Okay, thanks.

It looked more like a target stock with a vertical grip from that angle, but I guess that it's just an illusion.

The Hogue 10/22 overmold stock seems popular and it's a hell of alot cheaper, but I like the Bell & Carlson better. It would make a little more sense as far as my budget goes, but sometimes with stuff like this being practical budget wise has nothing to do with it, there's just what you like and what you're drawn to.

CDignition
August 19, 2007, 01:15 PM
Dont bother with Hornet Products... go to Brownells, they have all the same stuff at better prices.

Heres my 10/22
http://www.cdignition.com/images/1022sup3.JPG

koja48
August 19, 2007, 01:25 PM
Nice, CD, but I fear a wood stock would take a scabbard beating on my annual, Montana, "ride your ATV benchrest" gopher safari every year. That's the great thing about 10/22s . . . there are a ton of accessories/parts out there.

wally
August 19, 2007, 01:48 PM
Doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22927&d=1111458185
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23129&d=1112056117

The details are in this old thread:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=131138

--wally.

Edit, the 50-ft targets were shot at 50 yards off sandbags.

hksw
August 19, 2007, 01:56 PM
The best price for the B&C Anschütz-style stock is from Midway with dealer discount (FFL or C&R), $151.

If you are serious about that type of stock, however, McMillan makes the same profile but better built.

(B&C at the bottom)
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/villan535/AnRu1.jpg

koja48
August 19, 2007, 04:21 PM
Are the stocks "lefty-friendly" ???

Wally ~ That Wolf ammo made for some nice groups!

wally
August 19, 2007, 06:02 PM
Wally ~ That Wolf ammo made for some nice groups!

A lot of guns really like it, and its cheaper than CCI Green Tag -- can still find 500 round bricks for $30-35.

Aguila is another inexpensive ammo that performs very well in some guns and so is also worth trying.

--wally.

hksw
August 19, 2007, 10:10 PM
Are the stocks "lefty-friendly" ???

Unfortunately, no. The strong hand grip area is cut for right hands only. That goes for both B&C and McMillan.

B&C does, however, offer the Odyssey which is similar in shape to the Anschütz-style stock with adjustments and is lefty friendly. Will cost mor, though. (bottom)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/villan535/BC.jpg

I run Wolf Match Extra through the gun posted (which also work extremely well through some other .22 lr guns I have).

koja48
August 19, 2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks, hk . . . and here I thought the "curse of the southpaws" ended many years ago when I was able to find a left-handed catcher's mitt . . .

rainelle
August 20, 2007, 01:50 PM
Browning.

I have built/put together 5 rugers with after market parts here is one of my favorites.

koja48
August 20, 2007, 08:25 PM
Nice! How's it shoot?

alucard0822
August 20, 2007, 09:37 PM
finally got around to taking a pic, also I am in the market for a $100-$150 scope. I looked at a Nikon prostaff 3-9X40, and thought it looked nice and clear. I have also been looking at the sightron SI 3-9RF. I plan on target shooting at 100yds, and would like a decent 3x-9x scope, most rimfire paralax is set to 50yds, and centerfire scopes at 150, so Im not sure if one or the other is better for 100yds, I am a litle leary of an adjustable paralax in this price range, and would like adjustment "clicks" to be fairly accurate and it to hold 0 reliably, any suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62663&stc=1&d=1187660000

cslinger
August 20, 2007, 09:42 PM
Guess I'll play. Next I want to build something using the B&C Anschutz stock as well.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/394816-big.jpg

koja48
August 20, 2007, 10:32 PM
VERY nice, folks! :what: Who makes those stocks?

Alucard ~ I put 3-9 Tasco scopes on the rifles I put together & they seem to be just fine through the range you referenced. I've used them for about 10 - 12 years now, with no problems. Picked the pair up at a gun show for a song. I use Sightron optics on 1 of my ARs . . . nice, bright scope, but a bit spendy for a .22.

Browning
August 21, 2007, 12:06 AM
Damn you guys have some nice 10/22's!!

There's too many choices out there.

Thanks Wally for the name of that ammo by CCI: Green Tag, I'll have to remember that.

I bought some Wolf .22 ammo several years ago and it was horrible stuff, is their new match .22 ammo that much better than it was before? The old Wolf .22 ammo I bought years ago was in an off white paper and carboard box with Cyrillic lettering, it had lead bullets that were unjacketed and it was dirty as hell. The only .22 that I could get it to work in was a Romanian bolt action trainer that a buddy of mine had so I gave it all to him since it malfunctioned in every single .22 I had. I've seen some of the new stuff, but I didn't give it much thought due to that bad experience with their earlier ammo. So I'm guessing their new match stuff is alot better from some of the descriptions??

Is there much of a difference in quality between the Bell and Carlson Ruger 10/22 stocks and the McMillan 10/22 stocks? Are both of them free floated or what? Is there some kind of bedding on one that's not on the other? What are the advantages and disadvantages to each?

For the Bell and Carlson Anshultz stock that I want I'm just basically going on how it felt (I got to play around with one that a dealer had at a gun show), where the stock is about the right level for the scope I have and how it looks. Is there anything else that I should look for in a stock?

rainelle
August 21, 2007, 07:27 AM
Koja48

This rifle is not the best shooting one that I put together. I guess my best group with this rifle was 5 shots in an inch at 100 yards. The best hunting shot was a one shot kill on a groundhog at 116 yards. I got the dope dialed into 150 yards in 10 yard increments. Using a laser range finder it turns into some fun sniper work.

Here is a pic of my brother shooting probably the best shooting one I ever put together. He is shooting at 1/2 inch targets at 100 yards, he does not hit them every time but most of the time.

What I have found that works, volquartsen extended mag release, volquartsen bolt release, volquartsen buffer pin. Have your favorite gun smith work the trigger putting in a stop screw. I have used volquartsen trigger groups but they are way $$$$, and the last one I got did not work that well.

Barrels that I have liked, on the cheap Green mountain bulled fluted steel, not so cheap magnum research carbon fiber, and tactical solutions, and Clark.

If you go with a wood stock have the action bedded and the barrel floated.

I have used a few of the hogue overmolded stocks with good results.

Last but not least hang the best glass you can afford on it. Weaver leapold, I have used the BSA sweet 22's but they are not my favorite.

Ammo that I like is Remington Target Rifle made by eley. It is the best split I have found between $$ and quality

alucard0822
August 21, 2007, 08:30 AM
from my earlier post on pg 1
butler creek fluted stainless 20" barell courtesy of Riley007

Yukon extreme thumbhole stock in electric blue

The single best mod any 10/22 owner can do for $35, auto bolt release and 2lb trigger
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart...od&productId=9

bedded the action with some bondo polyglass I had laying around. polished all the pins and bearing surfaces, reangled the sear to match the new hammer, polished the firing pin cleaned and lubed everything

and an unknown model of tasco 3-9X40 scope I didn't know I had, on quicksite rings (found with the scope) and a weaver base

I will see how it feels to shoot in it's current config, and possibly upgrade the glass, put in an adj trigger, and target bolt handle/guide/spring.

It will be nice to have a tackdriver to go along with my buckmark hunter

I have used cheap scopes for most of my life, and it gets frustrating to have to sight it in every time I go to the range, and every few hundred rounds, and if you were to move it up 6 clicks and down 2 (1/4 min adj), somehow it will hit about 2" higher and 1" to the side, but this was the norm untill last summer. I shot my cousin's savage varmint in 204 ruger, with a nice leupold v2 on top. I could see the target and recticle better at 12x on his than 18x on mine, the adjustments were consistent, and could be used to compensate for distance and wind with a chart, and the 1st shot would be dead center. he said he zeroed it at 200 yds once when he got it, and has never had to do it since. I do not have the money for a leupold, but would like something decent, not like the same old tasco/BSA crap that I have always used.

quicktime
August 21, 2007, 09:23 AM
It is really amazing how much good optics will improve your game. If you ever have the chance pick up a Night Force and look through it. I have two of them and they eclipse the Leupold stuff that I have and they are pretty much bullet proof. To prove the point my smith took his 308 sniper rig with a Night Force on top and threw it down a shop with a concrete floor It still held it's zero and tracked all adjustments.

quicktime
August 21, 2007, 09:25 AM
Also if you have some major coin you want to invest in 10/22 parts check out the Jason Kidd two stage trigger set up I think his website is coolguyguns.com but if not hit google

Browning
August 22, 2007, 01:08 PM
Does anybody have any experience with the New Wolf .22 LR Match ammo and/or any experience with the Bell & Carlson vs. McMillan Ruger 10/22 stocks????

Browning : I bought some Wolf .22 ammo several years ago and it was horrible stuff, is their new match .22 ammo that much better than it was before? The old Wolf .22 ammo I bought years ago was in an off white paper and carboard box with Cyrillic lettering, it had lead bullets that were unjacketed and it was dirty as hell. The only .22 that I could get it to work in was a Romanian bolt action trainer that a buddy of mine had so I gave it all to him since it malfunctioned in every single .22 I had. I've seen some of the new stuff, but I didn't give it much thought due to that bad experience with their earlier ammo. So I'm guessing their new match stuff is alot better from some of the descriptions??

Is there much of a difference in quality between the Bell and Carlson Ruger 10/22 stocks and the McMillan 10/22 stocks? Are both of them free floated or what? Is there some kind of bedding on one that's not on the other? What are the advantages and disadvantages to each?

hksw
August 22, 2007, 01:25 PM
The current Wolf .22 Match grade ammo (as well as SK) is being produced by Lapua in their German (SK, IIRC) plant. It is, IMO, as good as any other high end target ammo from other big name manufacturers like RWS, Eley, etc. Wax coated. Most folks like the Match Target but I get very slightly better results with Match Extra in the guns that like Wolf.

I have a B&C for a couple 10/22s but my McMillan is on a 10/22M converted to .17 HMR. Strictly going on build quality, I would have to give it to McMillan. The B&C, however, does work very well and is a much lower cost option.

PisnNapalm
August 22, 2007, 10:19 PM
http://www.pisnnapalm.com/pics/ruger/DSC00392.JPG

Browning
August 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
hksw : The current Wolf .22 Match grade ammo (as well as SK) is being produced by Lapua in their German (SK, IIRC) plant. It is, IMO, as good as any other high end target ammo from other big name manufacturers like RWS, Eley, etc. Wax coated. Most folks like the Match Target but I get very slightly better results with Match Extra in the guns that like Wolf.

Okay thanks, I'll have to try some out.

I have a B&C for a couple 10/22s but my McMillan is on a 10/22M converted to .17 HMR. Strictly going on build quality, I would have to give it to McMillan. The B&C, however, does work very well and is a much lower cost option.

Does the McMillan have some feature that the Bell and Carlson doesn't have?

Or are you just going off of the look and feel of the actual materials that the stocks are made out of?

I'm only buying one target stock for this, so I want the best one.

I don't care if it costs a little bit more, I'd rather just get it right the first time than get buyers regret.

Cougfan2
August 23, 2007, 05:29 PM
Browning, it was called CCI Greentag and is good ammo. The old Winchester T22 (don't even know if they make it any more) was also good affordable .22 lr target ammo.

hksw
August 23, 2007, 08:00 PM
The outer portion of the McMillan is fiberglass with the inside fulled with (IMO) polyurethane. The barrel channel is milled out. A few different butts can be installed on the buttstock per your specification or none can be installed if you plan to do it yourself. Also, you can specify other features like rails and type and location of sling studs/quick connects.

The B&C is merely molded (IMO) polyurethane and painted over. (The Anschütz-type stock, not sure about the Oddyssey as I don't hve one.)

Browning
August 24, 2007, 06:02 PM
I wish I could find a place that actually had this stuff in stock so that I could actually look at it and see it instead of trying to do it all blind. Anybody know of a place in North Texas that sells alot of this .22 target stuff?

koja48
August 25, 2007, 01:35 AM
Alright folks . . . enough! I am now in the throes of severe 10/22 relapse. Last night, I tore down one of my 10/22s, then I installed a custom bolt handle, mag release, titanium firing pin, and new extractor. A Boyd’s Evolution stock is on the way, as is a Mueller 8.5-24 mildot tac scope, new mounts & rail, bedding material (but I’ll likely make my own pillar bedding block), Kidd trigger group (will use the old trigger group in an HMII that is next on the project list). Browning was correct in his initial post . . . shooting 22s DOES save money (NOT). Pics to follow . . . see what happens when you get all caught-up on Jeep mods & reloading?

Eyesac
August 25, 2007, 02:09 AM
I was kind of getting the rimfire bug before, but now it's a full blown disease
Ha! Consider me diseased.

Does anyone know of which .22 match grade ammo that's affordable?
I've been torn myself between the expensive match grade stuff (ely) and cheap Remington SubSonic. I know there's a lot of people out there that hate Rem cheap stuff (and I do too, just not the SS). I get GREAT groups from the Ely stuff, but I also get some great groups from regular old Rem Sub and at a 1/4 of the price... Seriously, go buy a box of everything and try it out. I mean, lets face it, I don't feel to bad about a little compromise when it comes to .22 ammo (bang for the buck is what we're talking about when we're shooting .22s anyway right?).

hksw
August 25, 2007, 10:17 AM
I do have to say, I wasn't (and still am not) a big fan of Big Green ammo but the Sub Sonics do better than bulk and standard $10-$12/brick ammo in my iron sighted Kimber 82G as well as the current Fed Match 711B. Not as good as Wolf Match Exta but good enough to use for practice. Also, Wolf Match Target is a good option, IMO.

Browning
August 26, 2007, 10:02 AM
koja48 : Alright folks . . . enough! I am now in the throes of severe 10/22 relapse. Last night, I tore down one of my 10/22s, then I installed a custom bolt handle, mag release, titanium firing pin, and new extractor. A Boyd’s Evolution stock is on the way, as is a Mueller 8.5-24 mildot tac scope, new mounts & rail, bedding material (but I’ll likely make my own pillar bedding block), Kidd trigger group (will use the old trigger group in an HMII that is next on the project list). Browning was correct in his initial post . . . shooting 22s DOES save money (NOT). Pics to follow . . . see what happens when you get all caught-up on Jeep mods & reloading?

Sounds like you're in the same dark place that I am. :evil:

There's no solution to your problem other than to just give your wife the checkbook (not an option if you don't want her buying enough shoes to rival Imelda Marcos) or until you buy all the 10/22 stuff that you want (but it's never really over, there's always one more thing that you HAVE to do to it before it'll be complete). :D

BTW are those Mueller Scopes any good?

I looked at them before I bought that Nikon, but I didn't know much about them so I passed.

goalie
August 26, 2007, 10:30 AM
I bought an Adams and Bennett barrel and an unfinished stock (laminated) combo from Midway. I then put in a target hammer and increased power spring kit, which brought the trigger pull down to 2 pounds. I topped it with a Simmons 22 mag AO scope.

It looks great and shoots even better.

Browning
August 26, 2007, 10:52 AM
Eyesac : Seriously, go buy a box of everything and try it out. I mean, lets face it, I don't feel to bad about a little compromise when it comes to .22 ammo (bang for the buck is what we're talking about when we're shooting .22s anyway right?).
That's probably what I'll end up doing, even the high end match ammo isn't that much more in comparison with centerfire rounds. I'll just buy some of the CCI Greentag and the Wolf Match and compare them side by side and see which one my rifle likes better.

Kimber1911_06238
August 26, 2007, 10:52 AM
quick question...can you replace the barrel on a 10/22 yourself or does it have to be done by a gunsmith? how hard is it to do? for a project gun, do I just buy the cheapest 10/22 available if i'm replacing the barrel and stock or are the actions different on the different models?

oh yeah....one more. if I get a 10/22 can it be converted to shoot .17 hmr by just switching the barrel or is it much more involved than that?

hksw
August 26, 2007, 05:22 PM
for a project gun, do I just buy the cheapest 10/22 available if i'm replacing the barrel and stock or are the actions different on the different models?

That is the correct avenue to take, cheapest 10/22 you can find (even used) then go from there. All of the 10/22s are the same on the inside (other than very slight modifications to some internal parts' dimensions over the years that don't affect function).

The barrel is simply clamped into the receiver using two Allen-type head bolts and a V-clamp. A DIY operation.

The 10/22 cannot simply be converted to .17 HMR or even.17 HM2 for that matter. In the case for the HMR, that cartridge is .22 mag OA length (roughly). The shorter .22 long rifle length action cannot accomodate that longer length. There is a conversion for this operation (.22lr to .22 mag/,17HMR) posted on Rimfirecentral but it requires significant modification (grinding/milling) of the receiver to do it. Plus, there have been reports of the aluminum receivers of the 10/22 breaking when done. This is the reason the 10/22M receiver was made with steel instead of aluminum.

The 10/22 can be converted to .17 HM2 but will require (other than a new barrel) a stronger recoil spring and some additional weight to the bolt (usually in the form of a heavier bolt handle).

koja48
August 26, 2007, 07:49 PM
just give your wife the checkbook Dodged that one . . . no wife & my Lab doesn't care. All parts should be here this week. If I like the new stock, I may have a Hogue overmolded stock for sale soon. When I'm tinkering with guns, shooting, or reloading, it's a BRIGHT place, Browning . . .

BTW are those Mueller Scopes any good? I put a Mueller Eradicator on a heavy-barreled Savage (1st .204 Ruger I bought); for the money, very clear . . . I had no complaints. other than I had difficulty seeing the "floating mildot" when I was wearing contacts, but I have no problem buying another (although not an Eradicator & this one with a true mildot reticle, which is my preference.).

Kimber1911_06238
August 26, 2007, 08:42 PM
thanks for the info hksw, that's what I was looking for. Looks like I'll be in the market for a used 10/22 with a banged up stock and well used barrel. If I'm going to replace the barrel and stock for an upgrade looks like I'll have myself a fun little DIY project!!!

PTK
August 27, 2007, 07:47 PM
I'll play.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=63028&stc=1&d=1188258127

Do I win? :D

Squidward
August 28, 2007, 08:33 PM
:what:

brentn
August 28, 2007, 08:41 PM
LMAO haha, I always thought of making a short barreled ruger!

You could seriously make a small machine pistol out of one of these things, like a 3" barrel with a stock that just supports the reciever and a pistol grip with a full auto trigger group ;)

PTK
August 28, 2007, 08:41 PM
For anyone who may ask why in the world I'd spend $200 on a tax stamp for my 10/22, Squidward's reaction is why. I love seeing that look on people, not to mention how fun it is to shoot and let others shoot.

koja48
August 28, 2007, 09:16 PM
It IS unique!

PTK
August 28, 2007, 09:37 PM
I think the most amusing thing is that I don't even own any mags over 10 rounds for it!

koja48
August 28, 2007, 11:08 PM
Prolly a good thing . . . look at it as "ammo conservation" . . .

DoubleTapDrew
August 29, 2007, 01:19 AM
PTK that's pegging the awesome meter! It would be a blast to build one of those.

Here's mine. It's as short as I can go without the $200 stamp (but the barrel is threaded with hopes of another type of stamp)
GM 16" blued fluted threaded bull barrel
Hogue overmold stock
VQ hammer, auto bolt release, trigger springs (2lb trigger)
Bolt buffer, B&C extended mag release
Cheap Tasco 3-9x scope for now
1/8" 10 shot groups at 25yds (haven't gotten to try it at 50 yet and only tried 2 types of ammo)
They are a lot of fun to build and super easy. I was apprehensive since it was my first project gun but after you take it apart once it's a piece of cake.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ayost/quad1100.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/ayost/quad195.jpg

porterdog
August 29, 2007, 10:27 AM
Nobody has really mentioned rimfirecentral.com as a resource; check it out but be warned- it can be a bit like drinking from a firehose ;)

Browning
August 29, 2007, 10:51 AM
koja48 : When I'm tinkering with guns, shooting, or reloading, it's a BRIGHT place, Browning . . .

I was more talking about the mental anguish of spending money that you don't have to do something you love.

I love shooting and tinkering, it's unfortunate that my wallet doesn't feel the same way.

What can I say? I'm poor.

I put a Mueller Eradicator on a heavy-barreled Savage (1st .204 Ruger I bought); for the money, very clear . . . I had no complaints. other than I had difficulty seeing the "floating mildot" when I was wearing contacts, but I have no problem buying another (although not an Eradicator & this one with a true mildot reticle, which is my preference.).

Floating Mil Dot? :confused:

You'll have to explain that one to me.

porterdog : Nobody has really mentioned rimfirecentral.com as a resource; check it out but be warned- it can be a bit like drinking from a firehose.

I mentioned it in my opening post, but it might have gotten overlooked.

Here's the link just in case anybody wanted to check it out.

www.rimfirecentral.com

That's the site that got me to haul my 10/22 out of mothballs in the first place.

I've been to the range three times in two weeks, I still can't get over how accurate it is.

A good scope and decent ammo really make a difference.

Maybe next time I'll try and muddle my way through posting some pictures, I might be able to manage it.

koja48
August 29, 2007, 08:05 PM
I'm poor. I hear ya -- I'm working on it.

Floating Mil Dot? Reticle/crosshair lines don't connect to the center mildot; actually, Target dot would be more accurate. It "floats" between the line ends.

Received my new trigger, scope rail mount, rings, bedding kit, and new buffer pins today; scope should be here tomorrow, but I won't get the stock until next week. Might have to try it out this weekend wearing the old Hogue stock.

Browning
August 29, 2007, 10:56 PM
koja48 : Reticle/crosshair lines don't connect to the center mildot; actually, Target dot would be more accurate. It "floats" between the line ends.

Kind of like this one?
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10174-292-ior-4x24-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

I couldn't find it anywhere else.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosshair

koja48
August 29, 2007, 11:20 PM
Actually it's like the German reticle in the Wilkipedia link, but with a mildot/target dot floating in the center. It was fine if I wore glasses, but I couldn't see it clearly with my contacts in. The illuminated dot was nice in low-light conditions, however.

Browning
August 29, 2007, 11:22 PM
Okay, it's just a different term for it then.

BusMaster007
August 29, 2007, 11:26 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/417857.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/417790.jpg
Hogue stock.
Choate heatshield.
BEC Rubber armored scope.
QUAKE Claw sling.
Vortex flash suppressor.
Weaver T-09 base.
Harris bipod.
Eagle magazine.

Legionnaire
August 29, 2007, 11:31 PM
Here's mine. Fajen stock, Midway heavy barrel, Volquartsen internals. Burris AO scope. Reeeealy old picture; need to shoot another one.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5164&d=1027563469

tasco 74
August 30, 2007, 12:48 AM
1022 customs are a ball! my friend got me a barrel and stock set from midway a few years ago for helping him out.. it's a fluted blued barrel, thumbhole laminated stock set.. it also has a volquartsen target hammer installed at their shop in Carroll IA. they also did a trigger job on it! there's more parts from there in it too.. i sent my bolt to cpc and randy did his magic on it.. i think the barrel was made by green mountain because it has the same warning about unfired rounds not ejecting but it says midway on it. the thing will shoot one hole groups i can cover with my finger tip at 50 yards.. i love it!

koja48
August 30, 2007, 03:51 PM
Well, got the second stage adjusted to where I want it . . . sweet, smooth, & crisp. New scope tomorrow & the new stock next week. Tinkering with these is as much fun as doing the same with an AR . . . and can be just as expensive.

koja48
August 31, 2007, 08:18 PM
Mueller optics arrived . . . now I just need the stock . . . 25x oughta pick the vermin out of the vegetation . . .

Browning
September 1, 2007, 12:15 PM
My birthday's coming up in a little bit, I know where my present to myself will be going. :D

http://www.gunaccessories.com/BellCarlson/Ruger1022.asp

http://www.hornetproducts.com/ViewProduct.asp?ModelNumber=TS1022-BLK-Gloss

This is what I've pretty much decided to go with.

koja48
September 1, 2007, 01:30 PM
You'll be stylin', Browning. That was actually the stock design I wanted, but it's not available for lefties or in an ambi version. I'll have to see how the Evolution works when it gets here.

hksw
September 1, 2007, 01:43 PM
Good choices, Browning.

Keep in mind, though, that the Odyssey comes in two flavors. Be sure to get the exact one you want.

alucard0822
September 1, 2007, 01:56 PM
might want to check here:http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=9&Categoryid=12903&categorystring=10636***10560***9142***11647***

just missed the midway tac solutions barell sale $129.99

so many people carry stuff for the 10/22, that you can normally find a few places at any given time that have sales going on, or good condition used parts.

Browning
September 1, 2007, 04:54 PM
koja48 : You'll be stylin', Browning. That was actually the stock design I wanted, but it's not available for lefties or in an ambi version. I'll have to see how the Evolution works when it gets here.

It wouldn't work if you shot it left handed?

It looked like it would work out okay, but you can only really see the one view of it.

Fortunately in this case I'm right handed.

hksw : Good choices, Browning.

Keep in mind, though, that the Odyssey comes in two flavors. Be sure to get the exact one you want.

I'll get the one that was on the top. It's the Anshultz without the adjustable LOP.

I figure if I need to adjust the length of pull then I'll just add a pad, I'm stretching my budget as it is.

alucard0822 :might want to check here:http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...142***11647***

just missed the midway tac solutions barell sale $129.99

so many people carry stuff for the 10/22, that you can normally find a few places at any given time that have sales going on, or good condition used parts.

Yeah, wished I hadn't of missed it. That was a great price on those.

The B&C Anshultz stock that I want is about $100 cheaper then B&C lists it for though. :)

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=500223&t=11082005

And they have these cheaper than I've seen at most places.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=814253&t=11082005

Thanks alot, now I've got to decide which barrel to buy yet again. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if the Tactical Solution barrels really weigh that much more than the Butler Creek Carbon Fiber barrel. I like the idea of a carbon fiber barrel, but I'm not sure if it's slightly less weight makes that much difference when I'll be shooting the rifle off of a bench anyway. It's not like I'm going hiking with it anywhere, the farthest I'll have to carry it is from my vehicle to the bench. When the time comes I'll probably buy whatever's cheaper at the time.

hksw
September 1, 2007, 06:50 PM
I'll get the one that was on the top. It's the Anshultz without the adjustable LOP.

I figure if I need to adjust the length of pull then I'll just add a pad, I'm stretching my budget as it is.

Oh oh oh. My error. It was koja48 that inquired about the left hand friendly Odyssey. That's what I was thinking about.

Browning
September 1, 2007, 09:42 PM
hksw : Oh oh oh. My error. It was koja48 that inquired about the left hand friendly Odyssey. That's what I was thinking about.

I didn't realize that there were that many rifle stocks that were lefty unfriendly, but I guess I've never really paid that much attention. My wife's left handed, but she shoots long guns right handed as she's an ambi.

koja48
September 14, 2007, 02:08 PM
From this (done 13 years or so ago):
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w305/koja48/10_22001.jpg

To this:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w305/koja48/P1000376.jpg

Now to get to the range . . .

bigcim
September 14, 2007, 03:18 PM
koja48 I have been considering getting that same stock do you like it better than the thumb hole versions
Great stock for a left or right hand shooter

koja48
September 14, 2007, 03:33 PM
big ~ wanted a thumbhole, but I'm a southpaw & my kids are right-handed, so I went this route & it feels nice . . . nice tight fit & my guess is that I won't have to bed anything with the TacSol barrel & adjustable vee block . . . will know for sure when I shoot it. Had to emery the barrel stub about 0.010 to get it to fit, but it's nice & snug. Jeweled the bolt on my drill press using a cratex rod, oil, and an indexing cross-vice. Didn't turn out too bad. May get a spare bolt & play with it to see if I find a pattern I like better.

Ghost Tracker
September 14, 2007, 04:21 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned our Forum Friends at Rimfire Central (.com) & Perfect Union (.com). Between those two groups we're talking about the Grand Pooba, Mac-Daddy Guru types when it comes to the 10/22!

They've tried EVERYTHING that can be done to these rifles. BTW, I'm a big fan of Wolfe Match Extra .22 LR Ammo as well. My Volquartsen Superlite (the uber 10/22) will shoot neck & neck, all day long, with a Anschutz Super Match 54. And it's LOTS more fun. Enjoy!

koja48
September 14, 2007, 04:29 PM
Got a lot of info from RimfireCentral.com . . . great site & there are some SMART & INNOVATIVE folks over there . . . tons of help, also!

Browning
September 16, 2007, 08:29 AM
Less than a week away and I'll be able to afford the stock and barrel that I want, I can't wait.

Browning
June 13, 2008, 11:19 PM
Well after 10 months from when I first posted my questions on this thread and buying the B&C Anshultz stock, a fluted Green Mountain bull barrel, Nikon 3.5-14X40 MD scope, Weaver mount, Burris rings, Butler Creek lens caps and other parts I finally got it together a few months ago. I just haven't gotten around to getting the pictures of it up until now (I've been too busy shooting it).

Here are a few quick pictures of what this thread produced.

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79947&d=1213536284

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79949&d=1213536477

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79950&d=1213536552

In the past 2 an 1/2 to 3 months I've gotten pretty good with it.

Even with just regular Wal-Mart carton ammo I'm getting regular nickel sized 10 round groups at 50 yards w/crappy Wal-Mart ammo and at 100 yards with Lapua or some other good ammo I've gotten 5 round groups that could fit inside of a dime (on a good day, I can't always do that good). The gu's definately able to outshoot me and usually it's just a question of how good I am that day.

In this configuration I now have almost 2,000 rds (three 550 rd cartons of .22 ammo and another 500 rds of the good stuff) through it in almost 3 months, so I'm really getting my money's worth. Now all I have to do is get a Harris bipod (I'm sick of using the sandbags that the range provides). And this started out as a way of saving money. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks to all that helped me out with information and links. :)

pbhome71
June 14, 2008, 12:53 AM
Browning,

The picture does not show up for me.

-Pat

Browning
June 15, 2008, 09:33 AM
pbhome71 : Browning, The picture does not show up for me.

-Pat

Okay, they should be up now.

GunTech
June 15, 2008, 09:40 AM
Here's a 17HM2 ultralight it did w while back. Volquartsen internals and a Jard trigger, with a composite barrel.

http://guntech.com/misc/1022.jpg

I just did this one for my son. Coolness rather than accuracy was the goal. He's 11.

http://guntech.com/misc/alex-mg42-1.jpg

lightweight
June 15, 2008, 03:29 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/th_Picture019.jpg (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/Picture019.jpg)

dm1333
June 15, 2008, 05:30 PM
Most of it is still in boxes in the back of UPS trucks! I bought an old 10/22, a GM 18" stainless fluted barrel, a trigger kit, Mueller scope and it will all go into the original but refinished walnut stock.

Koja 48, have you shot that Mueller yet? I'm curious about how the 4.5x14x40 scope that I bought is going to work out.

teombe
June 15, 2008, 06:23 PM
Here's mine:
http://www.countryboyartillery.com/images/sn_articles/ID063/1022_5.jpg

Details of the conversion are HERE (http://www.countryboyartillery.com/index.php?view=article&catid=39%3Awhat-i-dids&id=62%3Acustomizing-the-ruger-10-22&option=com_content&Itemid=67)

Browning
June 15, 2008, 07:41 PM
Cool, very nice all of you. I especially like the MG42 .22 LR copy (that would have appealed to me when I was a kid too) and the one right above with the fluted Tactical Solutions barrel (I almost went with that barrel myself).

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 rediscovered and modification thread/hopefully with pics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!