To anybody with experience with a Weatherby Vanguard!

PDA

Dtmoss14
August 19, 2007, 12:19 AM
What do you think of it?

thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "To anybody with experience with a Weatherby Vanguard!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
August 19, 2007, 01:46 AM
I've got a Vanguard Deluxe in 30-06 that's been a good rifle. It shot 1.25" or so with factory 180 gr. Federal loads. I wound up free floating the barrel, it comes with a little pressure pad of wood at the tip of the forend. With handloads using the 180 gr. Hornady SST it now shoots regularly under 1".

They are a decent gun for the money, the Howa 1500 is the same gun and usually $50-75 cheaper in case you didn't know.

August 19, 2007, 01:38 PM
I had the same rifle as posted above about 15 years ago. Great rifle for the money and better looking than most. Sold it because the wood had a greenish cast. Should have kept it.

ojibweindian
August 19, 2007, 05:59 PM
I've got one in 7mm Mag. It doesn't perform well with off the shelf 150 grain Winchester Power Points, but with handloads, it shoots better than 0.5" off a bench at 100 yards.

ftierson
August 19, 2007, 11:26 PM
I have Weatherby Vanguards in .308 Win. and .223 Rem.

Both are great guns...

I also have Howa 1500s in .30-06, .223 Rem. and 6.5x55mm, plus a Howa 1500 HB in .308 Win.

The Weatherby Vanguards and the Howa 1500/Lightning are both made by Howa in Japan, of course, and, except for a few cosmetic changes in the Vanguard to make it look a little more Weatherbyly (:)), they are the same guns.

Personally, I think that the Howas (including the Weatherby Vanguards) are the very best buy available today in bolt guns, weighing quality versus cost.

The advantage of the Weatherby Vanguard over the Howa 1500 is that the Vanguard comes with 24 inch barrels in the standard cartridges, while the Howa 1500/Lightning has a 22 inch barrel.

Pick one of the Vanguards up...

You'll be happy that you did...

:)

Forrest

sig226
August 19, 2007, 11:31 PM
I just bought a 1500 Lightning in .30-06 and put a Nikon Monarch on it.

They are sold with the Hogue stock that includes a Sims Viobration Lab recoil pad, or else a good clone of it. I bought the Nikon scope because the rifle is a little bit light and I wanted to add some mass to it to reduce recoil. This was before the rifle was delivered. I shouldn't have worried about recoil.

I haven't fired this one at 100 yards yet, only at a 100 foot indoor range. The other one I had was a .223 with a hunting taper barrel. It shot 3/4 MOA with Federal factory loads.

They're great rifles, whether from Weatherby or Howa. You'll be glad you got it.

LHB1
August 19, 2007, 11:51 PM
Had two Vanguards in .25-06 and 7mm Rem Mag several years ago. Both guns had beautiful wooden stocks with lots of grain and color, decent accuracy (1.25"-1.50" for 5 shots at 100 yds), and poor triggers. Trigger design did not allow for adjustments or correction. Replacement triggers were not readily available that I could locate. So I replaced both guns with Win M70's in same calibers.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

DeerHuntr
August 21, 2007, 07:58 AM
I currently own a Vanguard Sporter SS (baisically a stainless with a nice wood stock) in .270 WSM and love it, couldn't be happier. It does need a trigger job and I need to get up the nerve to free float the barrel but even in it's current configuration I was easily able to shoot 3 shot groups on Sunday that i can cover with a quarter. One thing you get with the Vanguard is a ported bolt, the Howa i looked at didn't have one, not sure how big of deal it is. Buy it you won't be dissapointed IMO

If you enjoyed reading about "To anybody with experience with a Weatherby Vanguard!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!