BlackThorne AR Kits?

PDA

Dionysusigma
August 19, 2007, 02:57 AM
http://www.blackthorneproducts.com/

Has anybody ever heard of them, or have any experience with them? As usual, I'm on a tight budget (and for those wondering, I kept both the AR lower and the Mauser), and their kits are the least expensive I've seen.

If you enjoyed reading about "BlackThorne AR Kits?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loadedround
August 19, 2007, 10:55 AM
I too asked the same question 3 or 4 months ago when I wanted to purchase a new AR. Every comment I received back reccommened that I stay away from this company because of their extremly poor quality control and the fact this company has had several name changes recently. Since I had no personal expeience with this company I shied away from them and ended up buying a reasonably priced Colt Carbine on Gunbroker. JMHO

kentucky_smith
August 19, 2007, 11:29 AM
Hesse/Vulcan

RUN AWAY!!!

MudPuppy
August 19, 2007, 11:58 AM
Without researching I got an AR kit (and a couple of AK kits).

1) Right after I ordered, the website put up a notice saying they were running behind and to add a few days for shipping on any orders. So, took a little longer, no big deal.
2) I ordered a "kit" but the upper was assembled. Score.
3) I put it together on a DPMS lower that already had a RRA fcg installed. Whoa, lot of gap there between the upper and lower. Slapped it on a olympic lower just to compare. Did a "function check" and all seemed well. Hmm.
4) Took it to the range and had nightmare problems, rounds would fail to feed (strip off the mag, but hit low going in) and when it did load, fired off a little 4 round burst...scared the crap out of me (mainly fear of my government, but i'll refrain from L&P'ing. :) )
5) Went out the next weekend and swapped uppers and lowers and narrowed it down to the upper.
6) Called (even though it was weeks beyond their allowed inspection period--but I don't get to the range often, I live in hippiville texas and...oops, L&P'ing again. Dangit!) and they were nice and gave me an RA.
7) Sent it in. It got lost. I called. Called the post office. Worried and fretted. It got found and I got a new one in.
8) Tried to put it on the olympic lower. Guh, wouldn't fit--rear pin wouldn't go in. Well, the olympic has always been finicky with magazines (mag well too tight) so I thought I'd try the actual dpms it was intended for. Woot, it fits. Haven't gotten to the range yet to try it out.

On one hand the ordeal of getting something that didn't work and needing to be sent back was less than pleasant, I do weigh a lot on how a company responds when there is a problem.

I'll order from them again, but maybe not AR stuff. Definitely the AK stuff--those were in as new condition.

jerkface11
August 19, 2007, 12:00 PM
If it's Hesse/Vulcan

RUN AWAY!!! RUN AWAY RIGHT NOW AND DO NOT LOOK BACK!!

jpwilly
August 19, 2007, 12:11 PM
I've gotten two DMPS rifles from Coleman Tyler's online store (http://www.colemantyler.com/). They have great customer service and really good prices on kits or completed rifles. My DPMS rifles fit and funtion perfectly. The Varmint Bull Barrel upper shoots 3/4" groups regularly and 1/2" and under groups when the stars align. My M4gery is accurate too but I use it to shoot cheap wolf plinking ammo and lots of it!

PTK
August 19, 2007, 12:14 PM
I purchase from J&T Distributing and Model 1 Sales. They're both fantastic companies to deal with, but my preference is J&T due to slightly better customer service.

Dionysusigma
August 19, 2007, 09:58 PM
:uhoh:

Alrighty. Guess I'll go with the Del-Ton midlength A3 I was looking at.

Thanks, THR! :)

Coronach
August 19, 2007, 10:18 PM
I don't know if Blackthorne = Hesse, but if they do, the previous advice (RUN AWAY!) is valid.

Mike

nalioth
August 19, 2007, 10:34 PM
Guys, these shady vendors do this on purpose. They change their company names yearly so you can't keep up with them and so n00bs don't 'click' on "hesse", "joeken" "FGW" or other. Don't be fooled by this and send them money.

If you enjoyed reading about "BlackThorne AR Kits?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!