Best .308 ammo for long range stuff ?...

PDA

Dtmoss14
August 19, 2007, 03:17 AM
I'm looking for something that isn't that expensive....

thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .308 ammo for long range stuff ?..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Swampy
August 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
Dtmoss,

First off... what distance do you consider "long range"??? 300 yds?? 600 yds?? 1k yards??? Makes a BIG difference in what is recommended.

Second.... "best" and "not that expensive" are generally mutually exclusive traits. Good quality long range match grade ammo ain't cheap. It's probably going to be about the most expensive stuff you can buy.

Commercial ammo: Federal Gold Medal Match and Black Hills are probably going to be the best you can get. IIRC, they are both loaded with the Sierra Match King 168 or 175 (Can't remember which has which one). The 168 will do you fine out to about 600 yards. Beyond that, and especially if you have windy conditions, you'll definitely want the 175. It has a much better BC for long range conditions.

Load your own: If you handload, the SMK bullets are proven factors. A good VLD bullet ("Very Low Drag") from makers such as Berger or JLK Bullets (yours truly... see my link at bottom) ups the ante on BC considerably for accurate LR shooting.

In .308 chambering I'd stick with bullets in the 175-180 grain range to make the most of the .308's powder capacity. Re-15, VarGet, and IMR-4064 are proven performer powders with this application.

Just my 2 bits,
Swampy

Garands forever

goalie
August 19, 2007, 10:56 AM
RE15 powder, a match primer, Lapua brass, and Sierra Match King 175 grain bullets should easily get you where you want to go.

Otherwise, the "gold standard" for match-grade factory ammo is the Federal Gold Medal Match .308 ammo.

Edit: of course, the gentleman above said the same thing.

Jim Watson
August 19, 2007, 11:19 AM
The guy who got me into Long Range (600-1000 yard) shooting keeps some Black Hills Match 175 gr in reserve if he gets behind on his handloading with a match coming up.

(By the way, I shoot Mr Swampy's bullets in the AR I have tried to turn into a Long Range rifle. Good stuff. Unsolicited testimonial.)

darkknight
August 20, 2007, 07:14 AM
does anybody use Lake city LR 7.62x51. somwhere i heard this is better at long range.

Swampy
August 20, 2007, 09:42 AM
does anybody use Lake city LR 7.62x51. somwhere i heard this is better at long range.

The Lake City M118-LR is simply the SMK 175 over Re-15 powder. Load your own.....

Best,
Swampy

Garands forever

Zak Smith
August 20, 2007, 01:43 PM
If you are going to reload, also consider the 155 Lapua Scenar. It beats the 175SMK for both wind and drop to 1000.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .308 ammo for long range stuff ?..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!