"New" Mosin-Nagant serial number

PDA

Dr. Dickie
August 19, 2007, 06:03 AM
I finally broke down an purchased a 91/30 Mosin (with my C & R license). I got one with the Hex receiver. Ugly brute as expected (though a certain elegance in its nature). I noticed that the serial number (in the 115XXX range 1929 Tula plant) is on the barrel. I am guessing that is why there is a electropencied importers mark on the Hex receiver (wish they could do that to look better).
To log this in correctly, should I use the number that is electropencied on the receiver?
Edit to add: Okay, that is the serial number to use. I figured it out. That makes sense as the number on the barrel does not conform to BATFE standards (has to be on the receiver as electropenciled was).

Oh yeah, though the barrel looks to be trash (haven't shot it yet), I guess you don't replace it as that has all the history and marking on it. Hope it shoots well enough to be fun (as that is all I ever as of any rifle).

If you enjoyed reading about ""New" Mosin-Nagant serial number" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
General Geoff
August 19, 2007, 06:17 AM
Don't be too sure of the barrel; run a brass brush through there a few times and follow up with some patches of your favourite powder solvent, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by its performance.

I want a 91/30, my M44 is getting lonely. :)

Dr. Dickie
August 19, 2007, 06:44 AM
Don't be too sure of the barrel; run a brass brush through there a few times and follow up with some patches of your favourite powder solvent, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by its performance.

Oh I am sure that it is up to "my" standards :rolleyes:
I shoot off-hand and consider minute-of-pie plate at 100 yards to be a darn fine day at the range. But running a brush through the pipe, it started out fine, but the more junk I got out of the barrel the looser it got. In the end, the 7.62 felt looser than the 8 mm mauser (1940) that I got at the same time:eek:
No complaints though, as long as metal only comes out the end that I have pointed away from me, I will not have any complaints.

GhostlyKarliion
August 19, 2007, 08:49 AM
that's normal for the nagant's Dickie, you clean the years of gunk and cosmoline and they start to shoot worse for a while, I don't use a brush anymore, only a swab of solvent (cause all surplus ammo is corrosive) and then a dry patch to pull out the solvent followed by an oiled patch, and that is the extent of the barrell cleaning. over some time the holes you cleared out with your first brass brush scrub will fill with copper again and it will be shooting better than ever.

Threejs
August 19, 2007, 08:57 AM
When you first start shooting it, make sure to check the action screws every so often. I have had several start to work loose, and this can be really bad for the stock.

armoredman
August 19, 2007, 08:58 AM
Clean the chamber with a drill chucked 20 gauge brush and degreaser, to get the 60 year old concrete cosmo out of the pits, then clean normally. Otherwise, the laquer coated steel cased surplus ammo will stick like it's welded in - which it is. Once your chamber is cleaned of cosmo, it will cycle normally.
Mosins are not the most accurate of milsurps, but they are cheap and fun.

If you enjoyed reading about ""New" Mosin-Nagant serial number" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!