Short-chambered .260??

PDA

SHOOT1SAM
August 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
My daughter has a Ruger M-77 youth model in .260 Rem.

Maximum COL is 2.84", but I'm finding that I have to seat 156 gr. bullets down to 2.752" in order to close the bolt.

My thought is that the chamber is short and I'm going to have to greatly reduce the load in order to be safe (under max loads are already compressed with the long bullet).

The time is definitely too short for me to send it to Ruger, and probably too short for me to have it reamed locally, if that's what's needed.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was your solution?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "Short-chambered .260??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol` Joe
August 19, 2007, 10:44 AM
The only 156 gr bullet I`m familar with in 6.5 is the Norma RN. The shank on these is quite long and extends for alot of the bullets lenght. I think they are better saved for the 6.5 Swede (which it was designed for) with its very long throat in stead of useing it in the 260.
The 260s I have, a Kimber and a M700, both are throated for 140 gr or lighter spitzers. The cartridge is designed to perform best within this weight range in a short action rifle. I would, if loading for a youngster, use a 120-140 gr. The recoil will be reduced and killing ability on deer sized game won`t be compremised on deer sized game.
I use the 129gr Hornady SP in both 260 and my 6.5x55 at ~ 2750 fps on whitetail here in the cedar/balsam swamps with very good results. The 120 Nosler BT also has a large following on deer on more then a couple of gun boards and with the 125gr partition could be another good choice.
The bullet I would personally use if loading for a child or inexperianced woman is the 100 gr Nosler partition. It was developed especially for deer in the 260 Rem and can be driven to very good velocities with minimal recoil. They have proven very accurate in my Kimber.
If you are looking to hunt elk or bear with this cartridge I`d stay with a good 140 gr bullet like the partition or trophy Bonded. The nice thing about the new super premiums is you can drop a wgt or two in your caliber and still achive very similar penitration with good expansion with a higher velocity. They however, expand slower then regular cup and core bullets and IMO are not as desirable for deer/antalope sized game, except for the partition which blows its front nose on just about everything and digs deep as any bullet can be expected..

edited to add; the 156 gr is also a very long bullet and most 260s are sold with a 1/9 twist. The longer bullet will likely need a 1/8 or 1/7.5 twist to stabilize this and accuracy may be poor. I know from experiance the Sierra 160 RN didn`t shoot worth beans in either of mine in limited loads tried.

Howard Roark
August 19, 2007, 10:54 AM
Ol' Joe is correct. You don't have a chamber problem, you have a bullet ogive problem. The throat in your rifle is most likely too short to shoot bullets with a long ogive like a round nose. It can be throated out with a throating reamer to allow you to shoot the bullet you want to. I throated an 8mm out for a friend that has cases of ammo with the same problem as you. He didn't want to bump the bullet back so I cut the throat deeper.

SHOOT1SAM
August 19, 2007, 11:52 AM
Hmm, thanks guys.

She is not too inexperienced-she's been shooting this rifle for almost 4 years, albeit with LIGHT practice loads (85 gr. Sierras & 10gr. Unique), and 120 gr. Barnes X for hunting.

She has taken deer and this year, she was drawn for a moose tag, hence my opting for the 156 gr. Norma Oryxs. I guess I should have trusted my gut instincts to go for the 140gr. Barnes X, that they don't make anymore, but can still be found. I suppose if I can't find any, I'll have to locate some Partitions.

Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "Short-chambered .260??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!