So how many rifes can you buy? Is there a limit without a hassle?

PDA

TOU
August 19, 2007, 04:20 PM
At times, I have bought as ,many as 40-50+ rifles in a given year. One time I bought 15 rifles and another I bought 5 in one transaction but never more than that. So how many rifles can you buy?...at a time? In a year? Any period of time? Is there a limit without a hassle and the red flags are raised or you are rejected by the BATF?

I do know if you buy and sell 5-7 vehicles in some states that you can be in trouble of being a car dealer...it has limits as to how many vehicle transactions you can do a year without becoming an official licensed dealer. Is that so with firearms?

I have always wondered the above questions and figured you wise ones could lend input. So far, even with heavy buying through an FFL (transfers) I do not seem to have reached it yet. Granted the vast majority are more on the line of collector's items, more than 30 years old and/or many are rim-fires. So, what if I found a deal on a crate of rim-fires with 50 pieces, would I get in to trouble if I bought all 50? I'm sure if it was 50 AR's or 50 AK's someone somewhere would raise an eyebrow...but how about bolt action and/or rim-fires.

Hopefully a different topic and I'm curious. Looking forward to your standard Highroad knowledgeable responses.

Thx,

TOU

If you enjoyed reading about "So how many rifes can you buy? Is there a limit without a hassle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eliphalet
August 19, 2007, 04:49 PM
I kinda think you better call the BATF to be sure as a responsible gun owner you keep yourself legal.

TOU
August 19, 2007, 04:57 PM
Understood, I just thought someone here might have run into this around here.

PTK
August 19, 2007, 04:58 PM
For rifles, there's no limit. For handguns, there's no limit.

You simply cannot deal in firearms without a license, is all. If you buy more than three handguns in a week, a "multiple handgun purchase" form is filed with the BATFE, and you will be getting a call/visit from them. Other than that, you're in the clear.

eliphalet
August 19, 2007, 05:22 PM
IIRC there is a limit to how many can be sold in a year before you need a ffl, six or so, but you better get better advice than my memory.

PTK
August 19, 2007, 05:25 PM
That is not correct. You can buy as many as you can afford, but you cannot be in the business of selling them without a FFL.

I have personally purchased over a dozen rifles from FFLs in a given year.

W.E.G.
August 19, 2007, 05:27 PM
You can buy as many as you want.

You can sell as many as you want - until BATFE "determines" (subjective) that you are "in the business" of selling firearms. If you are "in the business," (of selling) you need a FFL.

Whether you become a "person of interest" to law enforcement will depend on how you behave and who you associate with.

MudPuppy
August 19, 2007, 06:29 PM
You can also become a person of interest based on how many you purchase. There's no federal limit, but your local laws may vary.

(Not a lawyer, of course--and this is all internet advice and worth only a fraction of what you've paid for it. :D)

Oohrah
August 19, 2007, 06:50 PM
Not sure if Federal or State, but for certain in this state,
A form for muliple purchase of handguns goes to the Sheriff
in the county. I would be concerned that many transactions
might require licensing. Person to person might be above
what would be a trigger, a let's look with BATF. Pretty much
was, what comes from your ownership to another private
party. Straw purchases would be a question with multiple
transactions without license and record keeping. Once the
flag goes up, it's kind of up to you explain there is no wrong
doings. Also hope that a visit from officals are not an unknown
set up for all knds of answers at you may not have!:)

WeedWhacker
August 20, 2007, 07:43 AM
I kinda think you better call the BATF to be sure as a responsible gun owner you keep yourself legal.

Why in the heck would you want to call to yourself attention from an agency who hates the Consitution, hates guns and their owners, and is known for ruining peoples' lives for no apparent reason whatsoever?

If you're that worried about it, pay a lawyer some bucks and ask him - you ask the BATFE goons, and they're just as liable to change their minds tomorrow and remember your name.

ATF_Lurker
August 20, 2007, 08:26 AM
Why in the heck would you want to call to yourself attention from an agency who hates the Consitution, hates guns and their owners,Don't worry, we know who you are, where you are, and what you are doing, without you having to call attention to your self.

rbernie
August 20, 2007, 09:21 AM
I do know if you buy and sell 5-7 vehicles in some states that you can be in trouble of being a car dealer...it has limits as to how many vehicle transactions you can do a year without becoming an official licensed dealer. Is that so with firearms?
As far as I know, so long as you cannot be viewed as having purchased the firearms with the intent to resell them, then you are not a dealer.

Hkmp5sd
August 20, 2007, 09:30 AM
You can buy (federally) as many rifles as you want. No limit.

The problem comes from:

So, what if I found a deal on a crate of rim-fires with 50 pieces, would I get in to trouble if I bought all 50?

A deal implies you found them at a cheap price and plan to sell them for a profit. That is dealing without a license.

So the big question is what are you doing with all of these rifles?

The Deer Hunter
August 20, 2007, 09:57 AM
40 Rifles? If I had 40 rifles like when would I shoot them all?

Hkmp5sd
August 20, 2007, 10:16 AM
If I had 40 rifles like when would I shoot them all?

You don't have at least 40 rifles? :) You need a C&R FFL.

The Deer Hunter
August 20, 2007, 10:22 AM
Well I plan on getting about one of each C&R rifle when the time comes, but thats not that close 40 is it?

waterhouse
August 20, 2007, 10:34 AM
As far as federal law is concerned, as long as you aren't "engaging in the business," you can buy as many as you want, no limit.

If you buy more than three handguns in a week, a "multiple handgun purchase" form is filed with the BATFE, and you will be getting a call/visit from them. Other than that, you're in the clear.

Not exactly. If you buy more than one handgun in a time period consisting of 5 consecutive business days from the same dealer, a "multiple handgun purchase form" is filed with the BATFE and local law enforcement. You may (or may not) get a call or visit. I have filled out several and spoken to customers about them, and I have yet to hear of any of them being visited or called. It happens, but is certainly not guaranteed.

dstorm1911
August 20, 2007, 10:51 AM
if your thinking about the hunters lodge Rommy mod 69 .22s your better off tieing the money to a rock and tossing it in the nearest lake........... about the absolute worst dealer around do a few searches specifically for info bout em, that crate deal they are listing has already burned a few people

GhostlyKarliion
August 20, 2007, 11:16 AM
Don't worry, we know who you are, where you are, and what you are doing, without you having to call attention to your self.

would you like a RF scrambler with that Tin Foil Hat?

rofl, jk...

no expert on AFT rules here, but I've never had a problem, never known anyone who did, knew a man with 400+ in his gun room, take it for what it's worth.

erict
August 20, 2007, 12:02 PM
Last year I bought 6 at once and had no trouble.

EdLaver
August 20, 2007, 12:22 PM
Back in March I bought 8 firearms in the course of one weekend, didnt have a problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "So how many rifes can you buy? Is there a limit without a hassle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!