600 - 1000 yard ranges in southern CA

PDA

Dtmoss14
August 19, 2007, 06:27 PM
Any of you know of some or where I can find a list or something?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "600 - 1000 yard ranges in southern CA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ECVMatt
August 19, 2007, 07:57 PM
Here is a link:

http://www.angelesranges.com/

I shoot there alot, it is fun.

Mattt

Spiggy
August 19, 2007, 09:11 PM
I believe there's a 600 in 29 palms area, but you need to be a member of the range

glockman19
August 19, 2007, 09:16 PM
Try the Angeles Shooting Range...
Here is a link:
http://www.angelesranges.com/

+1 for Angeles I also shoot there once a week.

50 Shooter
August 19, 2007, 10:39 PM
Desert Marksman www.dmrpc.org it's a private range but the dues aren't bad. You can also camp at the range which is nice if they're having a match.

The Annoyed Man
August 19, 2007, 11:04 PM
I was going to recommend the Angeles Shooting range myself, but ECVMatt and glockman19 beat me to it. I used to live 20 minutes from there. Part of their centerfire rifle range goes out to 750 yards.

It's one of the nicer ranges I've been to. All the rifle benches on the centerfire rifle side are poured concrete.

And a friend of mine is a member of Desert Marksman and tells me that they have a 1,000 yard range.

Pilgrim
August 20, 2007, 01:46 AM
I believe there is a 600 yard range in Coalinga, CA.

Pilgrim

ArmedBear
August 20, 2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.ncsapala.com/

Near Palomar Mountain in northeast San Diego County.

Farthest targets are about 890 yards.

Matches held regularly for lots of different types of rifle shooting.

Dtmoss14
August 20, 2007, 02:20 PM
Are there any grounds where I can just go out and target shoot?

50 Shooter
August 20, 2007, 03:08 PM
The desert.:)

30Cal
August 20, 2007, 04:18 PM
I believe there is a 600 yard range in Coalinga, CA.

Pilgrim

Coalinga's got 1000yds, sillouette, trap, flushing toilets, & showers. $25/year

http://webpages.charter.net/tyoberg/upload/coalinga.jpg

Dtmoss14
August 20, 2007, 06:28 PM
Any forest places anywhere around here i could shoot?

ArmedBear
August 20, 2007, 07:36 PM
Around where?

Dtmoss14
August 20, 2007, 08:34 PM
southern CA area

50 Shooter
August 20, 2007, 09:40 PM
Desert Marksman is around 4000ft elevation and has trees, it's part of the Angeles Forest. With it being in SoCal it gets hot in the summer and cold (snow) in the winter.

If you go in the winter plan around any storms as the road in is not kept up, if it's wet you'll need four wheel drive. When it's dry just about any car can drive in.

Not to many open shooting areas in the mountains do to fire danger, most are either public or private ranges. The worst part is that the front part of DM use to be Kentucky shooting range, it was closed thanks to trash shooters. These trash shooters would bring all the crap they could find and shoot it up, when finished they left their trash!:cuss: That's why two other ranges that use to be open in the Angeles Forest are now closed also.

Dtmoss14
August 21, 2007, 01:09 AM
Can i bring a 15 year old with me to Desert marksman? how do you becme a member?

50 Shooter
August 22, 2007, 07:58 PM
Yes you can and to join you can follow the link on their home page. If you have any problems let me know as I know the President of the club.

ArmedBear
August 22, 2007, 09:29 PM
southern CA area

That tells me nothing.

There's a place near the border, but I suspect you're nowhere near there.

The Annoyed Man
August 22, 2007, 09:40 PM
Not to many open shooting areas in the mountains do to fire danger, most are either public or private ranges. The worst part is that the front part of DM use to be Kentucky shooting range, it was closed thanks to trash shooters. These trash shooters would bring all the crap they could find and shoot it up, when finished they left their trash!50 Shooter is right. I used to shoot at Kentucky occasionally, and people brought in all manner of crap - refrigerators, bowling balls, old cars, whatever, and just shoot the crap out of it. Once or twice a year, the forest service would close the range for a week and haul literally about a dozen dump truck loads of garbage that people brought to shoot at and just left there.

Very good friends of mine are the owners of the Hidden Springs Cafe, up the Angeles Forest Highway about 15 miles or so from Kentucky. When their dad was alive, he and I used to go shoot at Kentucky regularly. His son and daughter still run the cafe, and the son - also a good friend of mine - is (or was, the last time we spoke) a member of DM.

I would say that DM and Angeles Shooting Range are your best bets for long range shooting in Los Angeles County.

If you enjoyed reading about "600 - 1000 yard ranges in southern CA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!