My first real rifle. Saiga.

PDA

gotime242
August 19, 2007, 07:09 PM
Well, i had a .22 Marlin 7000 for a long time, but i really always wanted a EBR. So here she is. The gun show came to town, and i picked it up there. its chambered in .308, and has the optional stock that came with it. I bought a side-scope mount from cheaperthandirt that seems to be real good, and i used the scope ive had which is a Simmons Whitetail 6-20x50mm AO.

I havnt shot it yet, but i cant wait. Im real happy with my decision, as i spent a lot of time reading into what i should get. I plan to add the 20 rd long clip, and maybe some more mall-ninja stuff.

Heres a pic!

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9251/rifleeh7.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "My first real rifle. Saiga." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Navy87Guy
August 19, 2007, 07:24 PM
Gotime -

Congratulations on a great purchase - Saigas are addictive!

I plan to add the 20 rd long clip, and maybe some more mall-ninja stuff.

Make sure you read up on the Federal law requirements under 18 USC 922R. The Saiga is legal for use as imported, but once you start making mods (like high capacity mags) it's no longer considered a "sporting gun" and 922R applies. There are plenty of threads about 922R compliance - and you should really check out the Saiga Forum (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=idx) for all the gouge on your new purchase.

Shoot safe!

Jim

W.E.G.
August 19, 2007, 07:26 PM
A small issue, but one that will stir some folks' dander:

Please do not refer to the rifle's magazine as a "clip."

jagdpanzer347
August 19, 2007, 09:21 PM
Congrats on a wise purchase. Saigas offer a lot of performance for the price. Nice choice of caliber as well. How do you like the stock?

-jagd

BTR
August 20, 2007, 10:24 AM
Cool gun! How do you like the stock?

rangerruck
August 20, 2007, 10:46 AM
if you don't get hi cap mags, you can turn those 8 rounders into ten, easy.

silverlance
August 20, 2007, 11:14 AM
so... the burning question eveyrone has.. how do you like the stock? looks like a lot of us are wondering if that stock is worth the 75.00 folks on gunbroker are selling them for.

nalioth
August 20, 2007, 11:44 AM
so... the burning question eveyrone has.. how do you like the stock? looks like a lot of us are wondering if that stock is worth the 75.00 folks on gunbroker are selling them for.

Saigas are imported and sold with that stock now as an option.

http://www.raacfirearms.com/rifles.htm

indie
August 20, 2007, 12:03 PM
i want one so badly but i need a HD rifle first, i'm a gun newbie and i see now that have to battle my wife for each gun i get LOL.

romma
August 20, 2007, 12:05 PM
That is a very evil and scary looking stock! :uhoh:

I just know that it makes the rifle somehow more dangerous...

MrTuffPaws
August 20, 2007, 12:48 PM
Grats. I have a 16" in 7.62x39. A great rifle.

MD_Willington
August 20, 2007, 12:56 PM
Now push back the FSB, add an M-60 flash hider... then hold it over your head and laugh like this..

:evil: Muwahahahaha :evil:

:neener:

gotime242
August 20, 2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks all!

The stock seems like it will work out well. And yes, its the new option, and came with the gun. It seems comfortable, at the right length, and the cheekrest rotates to the right so you can have good few of the iron sights, then back to give good height for the scope.

The actual grip itself is not 100% fitting to my hand, i have big hands though. Most will have no prob with it at all. So the good fuction, value and looking super evil definetly makes it worth it.

-D

Nameless_Hobo
August 20, 2007, 06:18 PM
The legality of a 20 rounder for an unconverted gun is questionable. Go to
ar15.com's AK forum and look in the Russian subforum for a thread on it.

DiN_BLiX
August 20, 2007, 07:33 PM
If he doesnt convert to a regular pistolgrip & stock he would be ok with a 20rd mag. The hard part will be FINDING a 20rd mags for it, the are rare and expensive. It can prolly be fixed up to take m14 mags like a 308 vepr, but its prolly expensive as hell.

MD_Willington
August 20, 2007, 07:52 PM
He needs 10 or less foreign parts... that's it

you don't even have to add a regular pistol grip or stock, the Saiga has 14 parts with the stocks that come with it.

add 1 US G2 trigger group and you've replaced 3 foreign parts
add 1 US gas piston and you've replaced 1 foreign part
you're at 10 foreign and 4 domestic.
add a 20 round magazine of US origin and you've added more US parts.

modify M14 magazines for saiga .308
http://www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=88703

nalioth
August 20, 2007, 08:47 PM
You guys advocating cutting up a Saiga to take H&K mags or M14 mags. Oooh.

Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns (http://www.fbmginc.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=360&category_id=47&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1) makes a ready to use 20 round .308 Saiga mag. No mods necessary to the Saiga (but you will need to comply with the 922r).

More Saiga 922r compliance info: http://forum.saiga-12.com

MD_Willington
August 20, 2007, 10:43 PM
The link provided says nothing about cutting up your Saiga.. FBMG are they making the mags as I type this?

PM Correia and he can give you the lowdown on how production is going.

I simply provided a link to a mag modification, not a receiver modification.

To be honest I have contemplated having my rifle modified for the Galil mag adapter, but that only applies to the S.223... And I contacted Will at Red Jacket for that...

nalioth
August 20, 2007, 11:15 PM
MD_Willington, FBMG has been selling the 20 round Saiga .308 mags for some time now.

meef
August 21, 2007, 12:56 AM
MD_Willington, FBMG has been selling the 20 round Saiga .308 mags for some time now.Well, yeah. They sell them when they've actually got them.

That's why he said they were making them.

Get in line or on the list if you want any.

:)

And another question....

When substituting a Tapco US G2 trigger group - is the single or double hook preferable (I'm pretty AK illiterate, be gentle)?

TOU
August 21, 2007, 01:00 AM
Exactly...haven't had them in stock for months thx to their "US" followers and floor plate suppliers. Frustrating for us but I'm sure it's even more so for them...finacially. I did buy some mag bodies from them though and used my OEM mags to convert them.

Samuraigg
August 21, 2007, 01:04 AM
I'll echo some of the previous posters comments here. I highly recommend against using high cap magazines until you meet 922r requirements.

MD_Willington
August 21, 2007, 02:08 AM
The receiver is cut for single hook at the factory, go with the single hook.

I used a double in mine since that is all they had in stock at Ultimak when I went there for my parts.

Correia
August 21, 2007, 10:47 AM
I'll have another 2,000 mags in September. That will catch up everybody that has put money down, and then some.

We had to go ahead and get more followers from the Russians to do these. That's what we're currently waiting on to arrive. The quest for a US follower has been frustrating and time consuming, but they will exist. Oh yes, they will exist. :)

MD_Willington
August 21, 2007, 12:13 PM
Correia, I did not mean my post as you guys "will not deliver" I meant it more as, "they will be a while they are having supply issues".

Nalioth should know, he posts at the Saiga 12 forum too.

I also see a few of the other Saiga 12 regulars here too, hey guys!

To be honest, I haven't been keeping up with the S.308, I've been having too much fun with my S.223!

Hopefully you guys (www.fbmginc.com) will find domestic a US follower ASAP. Good Luck!

Meanwhile I have received an email from RAA saying they will later have domestic higher capacity magazines for the S.223... sounds good to me!

sectional_density
August 22, 2007, 06:20 PM
I highly recommend against using high cap magazines until you meet 922r requirements.

Sorry if I missed something earlier on this, but if I've done nothing to my stock S308-1, does adding a 20 round mag make me non-compliant w/ 922R?

nalioth
August 22, 2007, 06:27 PM
Sorry if I missed something earlier on this, but if I've done nothing to my stock S308-1, does adding a 20 round mag make me non-compliant w/ 922R? The Saigas are imported as "sporting rifles". If you change that distinction (by adding an evil non-sporting high capacity magazine), your Saiga is in violation of the 922r law. IOW, if the factory equipped it with a 20 round magazine, it would have been prohibited from importation.

ROMAK IV
August 23, 2007, 12:44 AM
A Saiga is light, so just be ready for the recoil the first time you shoot it. It's not bad, it's just surprising. I have had a Saiga 308 for abut ten years. It was converted by Hesse, and has the long barrel with the mandatory post ban braze on muzzle brake. For most of ten years, it was impossible to get another 8 round magazine. Finally, I managed to get two 20 round magazines off of GunBroker. They go fast, so grab one when you can. Best of all they have been cheaper than FBMG. I believe that they are buying the parts and making the bottom plate. I don't care, they work just fine. Hopefully, at some point in time, these magazines will become easier to get, like Saiga 12 10 round magazines. I personally prefer the AK/Druganov military scopes. They are far more EBR, even though they are metallic gray. I am also interested in a Saiga 223, as I see it, a really better choice than a mini-14, and thise magazine are quite plentiful. The only thing, I don't have a 223 rifle and I am a little reluctant to get another caliber, when I still need to stock 7.5 Swiss, 6.5 x 55, and 30-06 for a Garand.

sectional_density
August 23, 2007, 11:18 AM
The Saigas are imported as "sporting rifles". If you change that distinction (by adding an evil non-sporting high capacity magazine), your Saiga is in violation of the 922r law. IOW, if the factory equipped it with a 20 round magazine, it would have been prohibited from importation.

So basically I need to add some American parts and make it look like a "more evil" Black Rifle for a 20 round magazine to be legit. Makes perfectly good sense to me.

silverlance
August 23, 2007, 12:14 PM
to the OP:

can you post a picture of your hand around the grip? i have two saigas that have the older stock. folks are selling the new stock on gunbroker, and i'm thinking about swapping out when i go shoot in kentucky this fall. but that grip angle looks kinda wierd.

nalioth
August 23, 2007, 12:20 PM
folks are selling the new stock on gunbroker
Gunbroker. Where you can spend 3 times the money, the stories are free.

Here's your stock:
http://www.gilbertsguns.com/index.php?request=main.viewproduct&productid=3388&categoryid=439

If you enjoyed reading about "My first real rifle. Saiga." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!