1911 or SIG P220?

PDA

KrankyKraut
August 19, 2007, 10:43 PM
I am going to get a .45, and have narrowed it down to a new 1911 (probably a RIA) or a used P220 (in SAO). Which would you recommend, and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 or SIG P220?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DiN_BLiX
August 19, 2007, 11:19 PM
I say both are nice, but RIA is difinitly the better value ( get the tactical ) Ive read horrer storys about the hammer pin? drifting out on the 220 while firing. I do however know a guy who carried a 220 when he was a duputy and he has never mentioned this problem.

SoCalShooter
August 19, 2007, 11:22 PM
Get the 1911. I love'em can't live without one.

rbernie
August 19, 2007, 11:36 PM
I've had lots of both 1911s and P220s (albeit traditional DA/SA variants). My P220s have been flawless in every way with absolutely ZERO tuning needed - something I cannot say about my Colts and Springers and Kimbers and such.

Lonestar49
August 19, 2007, 11:45 PM

Any chance you can find a range that rents both type guns?

I think that could help alot in your consideration, as they are definitely 2 different animals.

Luck,

LS

timmyb21
August 20, 2007, 12:18 AM
P220! I've never shot a 1911, but i loves my Sig!

JohnMcD348
August 20, 2007, 12:22 AM
Which ever one fits in your hand better, get it. You won't be sorry about either choice. I used a P220 from time to time while I was inthe military and I own a 1911. I love them both.

It really comes down to which ever of the two are the most comfortable for you to hold. If it fits better, you aim better, you shoot longer and your aim improves.

pablo45
August 20, 2007, 03:38 AM
Sig! That is my replacement of the 1911. I don't like beaver tail safeties.

crazed_ss
August 20, 2007, 04:11 AM
I had the same dilemna.. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=286736

Ended up going with the P220.. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=289209

I dont regret it all, but I still do need to get a 1911 just because everyone needs a 1911 :)

wnycollector
August 20, 2007, 08:43 AM
I have a SIG P220. It's an incredibly reliable pistol. It will shoot fmj, swc reloads, jhp's and even doubletaps fmj flat point w/o a hitch. The 1911 is a great pistol in its own right but I would pick the sig if given the choice!

40SW
August 20, 2007, 08:57 AM
If you can afford to, get both, if not, The RIA is a better value for the money.

Noxx
August 20, 2007, 09:00 AM
Ive read horrer storys about the hammer pin? drifting out on the 220 while firing

Never heard of any such thing myself. Given the design, I'd like to know where it would go.

Anyway we've had this debate a few times around here, and the sane answer is most likely "shoot em both, pick the gun that fits YOU, not us."

That being said, my personal opinion remains that if I had to pick either one to bet my life on, it's the Sig for me every time.

FullEffect1911
August 20, 2007, 09:03 AM
1911. A bad 1911 trigger is like a perfect anything else trigger (perhaps slight exaggeration). Ergonomics, easy to acquire parts, easy to maintenance, competition in the market, boatloads of experience and information, and darn fine looks to boot.

Hard to go wrong with a 1911.

10-Ring
August 20, 2007, 06:09 PM
IMO, very different pistols. Both are SAO, but one is a more conventional 1911 from a manufacturer not really known for high end quality but more for value while the other has earned a reputation for high quality & has a legion of fans ready to attest to that.
Between the two, I would go w/ the SIG simply for the piece of mind that you know you're getting quality.

full metal
August 21, 2007, 01:53 AM
I sold my sig it was ok but it did not fit my hand like my 1911's.
see what work's for you,If one gun fit us all we would not have so many choice's.

jpwilly
August 21, 2007, 02:11 AM
Once I shot a 1911 that was it for me. They just feel right! Love at first bang!

jungleroy
August 21, 2007, 02:27 AM
I think their both excellent firearms, I own an old blue German Sig p220 and it has functioned wonderfully for as long as I can remember.
I also own several 1911's, but the Sig goes more places with me.

usp_fan
August 21, 2007, 05:00 PM
I own both--my 220 is the TDA format. If the SIG fits you, I believe it is the better pistol out of the two you are looking at. If you were looking at a higher end 1911, my answer might change. The SIG will be a great pistol out of the box. 1911's can be and may even be most of the time, but they have a higher likelyhood of needing "work". The 220 will be accurate and will maintain it's resale value well.

mballai
August 21, 2007, 05:29 PM
I just can't reconcile a SIG with a 1911. They are definitely not the same animal. I had two P220s but have long since sold both and can't ever imagine buying another. I say this even though I like SIG.

1911s are more natural shooters. And they are much more amenable to the person. The 1911 trigger is the standard by which all others are judged and found wanting. Go with a 1911.

Snapping Twig
August 21, 2007, 05:58 PM
I own both. Kimber and an American release 220 , when I bought the Sig the American release was a new option.

The Sig is reliable, feeds anything, disassembles and reassembles easily and has defended my family in times of crisis - no exaggeration, we're alive today because I had it on me one dark and lonely night.

That said, I prefer the Kimber. Talk about accurate! Holy crap! Add to this, mixed mags of various weight and configuration rounds feed through it like butter.

There's a break-in period with a 1911 and not with a 220, but that aside, the 1911 fits and performs better for me.

For out of the box reliability, decocking and revolver like DA/SA - Sig.

For me, the 1911.

davinci
August 21, 2007, 06:00 PM
why are you asking us?
oh hold on, my wife is asking me if she should dye her hair 'chesnut' or 'strawberry blonde'... What do you guys think?

Ala Dan
August 21, 2007, 06:26 PM
I've carried a SIG P220A .45 ACP for year's; and NEVER have had to face
any issues~! :cool: Sure, the 1911 is a very nice addition to any collection
but for stone cold reliablility- I'll take the SIG any day~! :scrutiny:;):D

col_tapiocca
August 21, 2007, 06:29 PM
my wife is asking me if she should dye her hair 'chesnut' or 'strawberry blonde'...

"strawberry blond" hmm...... I can't imagine!
Anyway a strawberry blond woman must be looks very hot:)

However. I own a colt serie 70, It's my second favorite handgun .45 acp is very expensive here in good old europe. (The first choice is my Sphinx AT-2000s)
And I shoot with several P220 (Swiss army issued model) and I own a P225 and trade my P226 for a other gun. Never been a big fan of SigSauer P22x Serie pistol. But a real swiss made P210 is a other story!

My personal opinion is:
SIG are in general better as CCW. Because light wight and no external safty.

1911 is a better range gun.

No Ideas about 1911 from RIA but my colt is very solid build and seams be a long lasting gun.

doubleg
August 21, 2007, 06:47 PM
The 1911 of course. The DA/SA is a solution looking for a problem:neener:. With how easily and quickly a 1911's safety can be turned off it rivals the time spent on the heavy DA trigger.

Lonestar49
August 21, 2007, 06:56 PM
Quote: I am going to get a .45, and have narrowed it down to a new 1911 (probably a RIA) or a used P220 (in SAO). Which would you recommend, and why?
------------------------

He's comparing a Single Action Only P220 to a 1911..

LS

doubleg
August 21, 2007, 07:59 PM
Hmm thats a tough one... I'd still go with the 1911.

KrankyKraut
September 3, 2007, 08:41 AM
I went ahead and rented both. The 1911 they had was not a RIA, but an old, beat up Springfield GI. The SIG 220 was a brand new standard size gun in DA/SA. He told me the 1911 would jam on me, because theirs was old and hadn't been maintained. Neither gun was exactly the model I was looking to buy, but close enough to give me an idea. I had 100 rounds of WWB with me to conduct this test.

To make a long story short, I liked the way both guns shot. They were both accurate at the distance I tried (about 25 feet); the SIG was slightly better. Both felt good in my hands. I alternated shooting them one mag at a time. Other than finding out the basic feel and way each gun worked, I wanted to see which one I gravitated to. I noticed as time went by, I picked up the 1911 more often. I liked the way it felt, how slim it was, etc. I even thought the tiny GI sights were easy enough to see, even for my aging baby boomer eyes. And while this particular gun did jam a lot, just as the guy predicted, his brand new SIG also jammed every time on the last round in each magazine.

Overall, while the SIG was more accurate, I "liked" the 1911 more.

After I came to that realization, I had some rounds left and for kicks rented a Ruger P97. It looked like it hadn't been rented much. Now here's the surprise of the evening! The gun shot like a dream. It was as accurate as the SIG, never jammed once, felt good in my hands (maybe not quite as good as the 1911, but on par with the SIG) and had ergonomics superior to both. The one thing I didn't like was the long trigger pull. But the trigger broke cleanly.

In summation, having eliminated the SIG, my choice will now be between a 1911 and a Ruger; either the P97 or the P345.

abarth
September 3, 2007, 10:53 AM
Get 1911 first then get the 220.

wally
September 3, 2007, 11:11 AM
Add me to the buy 'em both chorus.

I've got both, I shoot the RIA almost every range trip simply because I don't have to worry about its high price being reduced from wear and the 1911 just fits me best of all.

I've plenty of other 1911s costing 2-3X more than the RIA, and I'm not giving up anything when shooting the RIA.

If I couldn't have a 1911 it'd be a tough choice amoung my second favorite SAO guns: Sig P220sao, EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match, & Beretta Steel-1. Of these three the Witness Elite Match is almost as good a value as the RIA. The Steel-1 is not available in .45ACP.

Edit: Try to find the new RIA "Tactical" better (Novak's) sights and all the creature comforts of the Sprnigfield loaded ir Kimber Custom models for ~$75 than the standard "GI" RIA. IMHO, the only weak spot ont he RIA is the grips but since no matter what you use somebody won't like them so its a great place to scrimp to make a price point.

--wally.

MICHAEL T
September 3, 2007, 12:32 PM
A 1911 is the only way to go.

Zen21Tao
September 4, 2007, 06:35 AM
I have 5 Sig handguns (including the P220)and 5 1911 type handguns (7 if you count Para LDAs). I can say that both the 220 and 1911 are great guns. I see that you have eliminated the Sig. I think that between the 1911 and the Ruger, the 1911 is by far the way to go. You said part of what gravitated you towards the 1911 was it's slimmer feel than than Sig. IIRC, the Ruger P97 is double stack that is thicker than both the 1911 and Sig, while the P345 is a single stack design that falls somewhere between the P220 and the 1911 in thickness. With that said, I think you'll also the 1911 to have a much greater accuracy potential and a much greater availability of after market up grades, if you decide to go that route.

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to eliminate the Sig to go with the 1911. You can always get a Sig GSR. I have one and absolutely love it. It every bit as accurate as any of my other 1911s. The only difference between it and a normal 1911 is that the top of the slide is flat like Sigs other guns than rounded like normal 1911 design. However, this difference is barely even noticeable.

Sig GSR
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3750/siggsrys8.jpg

And if it the DA/SA design of the Sig P220 and Rugers that you find appeasing while you prefer the 1911 design, you can always go with Para Ordnance LDA (light double action) model. The Para Ordnance LDA models are 1911 design with a DAO type trigger that is very light with a crisp break. I have tow of these, a 13+1 round double stack Tac-4 and a 6+1 round single stack carry model. I love both and use the carry as a daily Concealed carry weapon. Para also has full size and commander size single stack 1911 LDAs, if that is the design you prefer. Go yourself a favor, and at least give one of those a try also.

Para Tac-4 and Para Carry
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4901/twinparasxe8.jpg

MaterDei
September 4, 2007, 06:52 AM
Both fine guns, can't go wrong if you go with the one that fits you better.

Chestnut vs. Strawberry Blond is harder. I think it really depends on the skin tone and eye color. Most likely the chestnut will look better but on some the blond is a real great compliment to their eyes (especially hazel ones) and their skin tone. Tough call here.

wally
September 4, 2007, 09:22 AM
oh hold on, my wife is asking me if she should dye her hair 'chesnut' or 'strawberry blonde'... What do you guys think?

As happens with most gun A or gun B questions here, the answer of course is Platnium Blonde!

--wally.

Rexster
September 4, 2007, 05:23 PM
I see the original author of the first post has eliminated the SIG, but for the sake of discussion, I will say that high-end 1911s such as those by Les Baer are truly sweet weapons, whereas the over-hyped but junky 1911s by makers such as Kimber should be avoided. I loved my early SIG P220, superbly accurate and reliable, but the Euro-style heel-of-gripframe mag release would snag car seats and allow the mag to drop slightly, so I stopped using it as a duty pistol, and later sold it. (Stupid move!) Now that the SAO SIGs are on the market, I would say to get one of those rather than a 1911 in the same price range or less. I would love to carry an SAO SIG as a duty pistol, but my agency changed the rules in 1997, which closed out the option of carrying single action autos as primary weapons, and specified .40 as primary duty pistol ammo. SIG has yet to make an SAO P229, which could "back up" my duty SIG P229 DAK, and share magazines. That would be sweet. My old P220 was very accurate; my most accurate pistol until I got my first Les Baer 1911 in 1997.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 or SIG P220?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!