Are guns forever?

PDA

Gunsmoker
August 20, 2007, 03:07 AM
I'm trying to justify some purchases I want to make, for instance getting a Springfield TRP over a loaded.

I've also spent so much money upgrading my computer for gaming. (I seriously need new hobbies.:D)

But are guns forever? Do you buy guns with the intent to never sell them and to use them forever.

Because with this mindset, buying the TRP makes me feel better. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Are guns forever?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gravis86
August 20, 2007, 03:10 AM
I will NEVER sell my P229. I could be homeless, friendless, and without any money and I would still hang onto it 'till I die.

On the other hand, If I had a weapon that I didn't really like, I wouldn't have a problem selling it.

But when I buy a gun, I plan on keeping it as long as I can.

PTK
August 20, 2007, 03:15 AM
I buy guns because I like them at the time. If I find that they have no use in my collection, out the door they go.

The H&K USP .45 I have my eye on would stay with me until I die, though. :D

General Geoff
August 20, 2007, 03:32 AM
To me, yes. I look at it this way; if I could have, I'd still own my first car. But it was costing too much to keep running, and was taking up too much space after I bought another car. So I had to sell it.

With a gun, neither of those problems are evident, because if it costs a lot to shoot, you just don't shoot it as often; and they're compact enough to keep multiple in your closet, so you effectively never run out of room to store them.

I'll keep my first gun till the day I die, methinks.

RyanM
August 20, 2007, 03:55 AM
Most of my guns, yes. Though there was one I bought with the express purpose of fixing it up and selling. Worked out pretty well.

DMK
August 20, 2007, 12:47 PM
Do you buy guns with the intent to never sell them and to use them forever.Every one I buy. It doesn't always work out that way, but my initial intent is to keep them. I've only ever sold a few guns.

the pistolero
August 20, 2007, 01:09 PM
But are guns forever? Do you buy guns with the intent to never sell them and to use them forever.
Yes, on both counts. And I'll never sell a gun again, because the last couple of times it's been very bad luck -- shortly after I sold one gun, I smashed up the fender on my truck, cost me about $600 to replace with the employee discount, and a couple of weeks after I sold another, I got a ticket that cost me about $150. May not sound like much, but then I don't really make that much. No more gun-selling for me!

CU74
August 20, 2007, 11:02 PM
I don't like to say "never", but I buy with the intent of never selling. I have several guns, (well, LOTS of guns) and haven't sold one yet. I do have a few that I am thinking about giving to my sons, but for now I like the guns better...

Highland Ranger
August 20, 2007, 11:05 PM
I buy new and intend to keep "forever" which for me won't be too long now!

RNB65
August 20, 2007, 11:18 PM
No, guns are tools to be used and discarded when they stop being interesting to shoot. There's not a single gun in my collection that I wouldn't sell in a heartbeat if something better came along. I've sold almost as many guns as I've purchased over the last few years.

igpoobah
August 20, 2007, 11:27 PM
I don't buy as 'loosely' as I used to. I'm a bit more selective these days and tend to try and fill only my long term goals for arms; I'm open for selling, but I buy with the intention to keep indefinitely. Sometimes guns I get don't live up to expectations and they've got to go...

Kevinch
August 21, 2007, 12:14 AM
Well - I've bought a lot more than I've sold - just ask my wife...:o

browningguy
August 21, 2007, 12:41 AM
My intention is always buy to keep forever, sometimes someone wants one of mine a lot more than I do and then it goes. But I buy things I want to own and shoot.

Big Az Al
August 21, 2007, 02:19 AM
There are guns that because of their history will never be for sale even if there is no real purpose in owning them!

There are guns that I just happen onto, no reason, that are so accurate it is scary! NEVER EVER LET THEM GO!

There are and will be guns that it is something I always wanted, and after purchase I find out, "it won't shoot! It is so brutal it is not worth shooting! It is weak and will take to much time to keep working!" those guns are on their way out!

Gunsmoker
August 21, 2007, 02:47 AM
Did you ever sell your first gun?

My first gun was a hi-power 9mm and I can't ever imagine selling this fine piece of craftsmanship.

Bartkowski
August 21, 2007, 03:00 AM
The only gun I would sell would probably be a youth hunting rifle due to the fact that I have no use for one.

brentn
August 21, 2007, 03:00 AM
All my purchases are forever. No joke, when I buy a gun it is going to be with me forever, at least that serial number anyways. Where I live it is much harder to give away/sell a gun than most places (due to registration) and I never even think about disposing what I own someday.

Point being, all my purchases are always very well thought out, I have never made a mistake gun purchase. I always take the time to research and identify exactly what I want, and why I want it. With that in mind the thought of selling or giving away what gun I bought never crosses my mind.

MD_Willington
August 21, 2007, 03:10 AM
I sold computer parts for gun parts / ammo...

I get parts for free every year, I don't get firearms / ammo for free, so the computer parts get sold..

DrDavidM
August 21, 2007, 10:16 AM
I have never owned a gun I did not like. Therefore, I have no desire to ever sell one of them. One of my prized possessions is a Winchester model 94 that was my grandfathers. He passed away when I was six, so it really means the world to me. Hopefully, I will have children one day to pass my collection along to.

jefnvk
August 21, 2007, 05:22 PM
I've sold two guns, and I wnat them back.

Never again will I take the chance.

JesseL
August 21, 2007, 06:49 PM
I don't buy guns that I don't intend to keep, and I would almost certainly get less money selling a used gun than the value I feel I would retain by keeping it.

lionken07
August 21, 2007, 07:27 PM
to all my guns - til death do us part.:D

esq_stu
August 21, 2007, 07:32 PM
I'm flighty, wishy-washy, and impulsive.

I had an obsession with gun auctions and bought without thinking. For peace in the home, I sold a lot of 'em. I now maintain an inventory of about 12 handguns and 8 long guns - I agreed to sell one gun for every one I buy.

I still sometimes buy on impulse.

I also think about selling to make room for others.

The ones I've kept the shortest time were relatively cheap and not reliable (for me) - Keltec, Taurus, etc.;

The ones I've kept the longest time are classics - a Colt 1911 45, an S&W 1917 .45, a '50s vintage IDF Mauser in .308, a Chinese SKS.

I'd sell anything for something I like better. But the only ones I don't think of selling are the Mauser, the 1917, the Colt . . . something I can't put my finger on but it has something to do with classic military-design weapons known to be reliable and hard hitting when things get ugly and known not to have become truly obsolete.

CountGlockula
August 21, 2007, 07:46 PM
I WILL NEVER SELL MY GLOCK 35. That's my answer.

bdjansen
August 21, 2007, 07:49 PM
I like to think they are forever. Nothing really is but.....

I think I know what you are saying about the computer. I buy a new laptop and I think this will last me maybe 2-3 years until it dies or wont run the current software.

Or a car is only good for a few years before the repairs start to snowball.

So I like to think that my guns and guitar are forever items. As long as I have the ammo and strings I can keep using them.

One of the reasons I love guns is that everything else is so cheap and disposable now-a-days. It's a joy to use something so solid, simple and mechanical.

Ala Dan
August 21, 2007, 08:13 PM
Since joining forces within firearms sales, I now have more guns than I have
ever owned at any one time. With the rising crime rate, I do think that guns
will remain a part of my eveyday lifestyle; especially after having an LEO
background~! :scrutiny:;):D

P97
August 21, 2007, 09:38 PM
I have several guns. I sell and trade. When I find an outstanding gun that I want to keep I do a lot of customizing on it such as action job, grips, engraving and ect. Those guns I intend to keep and pass on to my Grandchildren.

41magsnub
August 21, 2007, 09:52 PM
I have no intention of selling any guns.. even the 7x57 mauser with the crappy Ruger sub contract barrel from the 70's and a wandering zero that is currently annoying me to no end.

ZeSpectre
August 21, 2007, 10:02 PM
So far the only thing that seems to last longer than my guns are my camera lenses (Camera bodies... pfffft, but the lenses keep going).

FIRE COP
August 21, 2007, 11:35 PM
Diamonds are forever....no...no..They leave when she leave's..thankfully.but...GUNS ARE FOREVER...Never let them go.....

Deaf Smith
August 21, 2007, 11:41 PM
Some guns I'll never part with, some guns I wish I'd never bought.

Guns like my Smith 686 Customs Service revolver I'll keep, as well as my 640 Centennial that was my first CCW gun. Others like my AK, well it's a tool and I have no real feelings for it.

doc2rn
August 21, 2007, 11:49 PM
My S&W 10-4 that was made before I was even born will be with me till I pass it on to my grandson, same with my glock 32.

meef
August 22, 2007, 02:19 AM
Are guns forever?No.

Diamonds are forever.

De Beers

kir_kenix
August 22, 2007, 09:24 AM
yes and no. i find that guns fall into one of those 2 catagoies for me: sentimental and forever, or i have absolutley feelings for them. not to say i dont enjoy shooting some of the guns that i know i wont keep forever, but they just dont spark me the same way. anything that has been in the family (even fairly cheap stuff that belonged to my dad) automatically make it into the forever catagory. somtimes ill trade for/find a good deal on something however, and that rifle may find its way out of the collection with no hard feelings.

Radagast
August 22, 2007, 01:14 PM
It's hard to wear out a quality firearm, so if you choose well they should last you a lifetime.

My CZ rifles, S&W combat magnum will stay with me till the day I die. My Glock _could_ be sold, but in 20,000 rounds and seven years, I haven't found a gun to replace it.
My high end 1911 (M5 IPSC) could only be replaced by an even higher quality one. Not likely on my budget.
If you buy well so you are satisfied with it as both a tool and as a piece of art, then it's a keeper.

PILMAN
August 22, 2007, 06:00 PM
There are certain guns I will never get rid of, some that are negotiable. I would never sell my USP or my galil.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are guns forever?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!