Vintage rimfire question?

PDA

Gary O
August 20, 2007, 10:38 AM
I recently inherited a nearly mint Remington Model 34 bolt 22 rimfire from the 1930’s. While it has little collector value, it did belong to an uncle of mine that I was close to. Therefore, I would like to return it to squirrel hunting service after almost 60 years in his closet. My thought was to have it drilled and tapped for Weaver bases and then scope it in as close to a “period correct” scope as is practical. Do you folks have any suggestions as to what kind of scope I should be looking for? Thanks…

Edit: please note that I am not asking for advice or council; just information. Thanks...

If you enjoyed reading about "Vintage rimfire question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
August 20, 2007, 10:43 AM
Do you folks have any suggestions as to what kind of scope I should be looking for?Yes, it's called a non-scope. Somehow drilling and tapping that rifle just seems wrong to me. Iron sights should work just fine for squirrel hunting.

rangerruck
August 20, 2007, 10:43 AM
I would get a very small scope for that, such as a weaver fixed, old steel type, so that it will look period correct. a 4 power would do the trick.
But first, check the back left side of the receiver, take it out of the stock if you have to. See if there are two screw holes on that back left side. if it does, it is made for a peep site, and this would be super best!!!!

dstorm1911
August 20, 2007, 11:13 AM
I have one too it was my first rifle passed down from my father...... they are also know as Boy scout Remingtons from the days when marksmanship was taught

There is no such thing as a period correct scope for that rifle unless ya are thinking period of 1960 something when some garage smith mighta added mounts and a scope.............. Scopes didn't really hit the civilian population until the early 60s before that they were far too expensive and ya would NEVER have seen anyone put the expense into scoping a $3 remington Boy scout rifle.........peep sights yes scope ...... they were strictly utiliterarian rifles BTW Mine tends to shoot 6" to the right always has as long as I can remember back to when it was passed on to me at around 7 years old

Il Duca
August 20, 2007, 06:25 PM
How about one of the scope monts that replaces the rear sight and uses a scout type scope? That way you wouldn't have to have it D&T.

loner5667
August 21, 2007, 12:52 AM
Gary O, If you need to d/t the receiver, there is a receiver for sale over at one of the auction sites for $40. That way you can keep the one that came with the rifle intact. I think that Weaver makes a 'glue-on' base that might also work without adding extra holes to a vintage 'walnut and steel'. If you do end up putting holes in the receiver, I would go with a side mount, like a Weaver N2. they are designed for the old 3/4' tube all steel scopes like the Weaver J2.5, J4, B4, B6,G4, and G6. I know I love mine, I've got one with open sights, and I just bought one with a receiver sight. Both are capable of 1/4" accuracy at 25 yards with the right ammo. Good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy your classic.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/loner5667/Other/ee99f8eef79a7efe5cf3fb3104f45ae6.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f70/loner5667/Other/pix3530049471.jpg

quicktime
August 21, 2007, 12:58 AM
How about a Unertyl barrel mount scope that way the action stays virgin and all the work is done on the barrel. Plus they are really cool converstion pieces and if you want to change the power of the scope all you have to do is head down to a competent eye glass grinder and you are good to go. A 4x Unertyl would be bitchin for a squirrel gun. I am thinking of one for my 10-22

rangerruck
August 21, 2007, 10:32 AM
Dstorm, of course, it won't be exactly ' period correct', but 95percent of peeps out there, wont know the diff between your 1930's rifle, and a 1950 or 60's scope. Just that the scope wont look like you bought it at Academy or Wally World yesterday.

If you enjoyed reading about "Vintage rimfire question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!