Ruger P90 reliability?

PDA

TnShooter83
August 20, 2007, 02:20 PM
Just picked up a Ruger P90 this weekend in SS.
Anyone have any info on them.
As in reliability?

I traded my Taurus 44 Mag for it.
I just couldn't afford to tho the 44Mag.
And I never owned a 45ACP so I figured it was worth a try.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger P90 reliability?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tkarter
August 20, 2007, 03:16 PM
Shoot it for 50 years,hand it down to your grand child. They won't have any problems with it either.

imho

tk

wnycollector
August 20, 2007, 03:24 PM
my brother-in-law owns a blue P97...he is very hard on guns! he shoots wolf, reloads or whatever is cheapest, dosent clean it well (gunblast and MAYBE a patch!!!), that thing NEVER has a problem. classic ruger LONG (but smooth) trigger but he put up respectable groups. LOL sometimes I wish I had one;)

foghornl
August 20, 2007, 03:43 PM
Owned & operated a P-90 since 2001. Have changed the recoil spring & cleaned the mags a couple of times.

Only one jam in 6 years. Shoots anything I feed it from the Premium stuff (Gold Dots, Golden Sabres) all the way down to the Aluminum Blazer and steel-cased Wolf.

Anna's Dad
August 20, 2007, 03:53 PM
Ruger=Tank

I have the P345 but I'm sure your P90 will be just as reliable and well made.

vzenmn
August 20, 2007, 04:00 PM
I been having bad luck with Ruger P series lately. My Davidsons special edition P90th does not like to chamber cast lead reloads all of a sudden and it fails to extract empty cases one or two times every range session.I think both of these problems should be solved by a new extracter and a better sellection of reloading components.

My P95DC is a totally different story. It stop ejecting rounds one day and then the slide and frame some how got locked up when putting the gun back together after cleaning and wouldn't come loose. Ruger has had the thing for a month now and I have not heard a peep from them.

I'm hoping you will have better luck then me though.

P.S. Is there any way to get an extracter from Ruger that dosent involve shipping the firearm to them to get it fitted ? I 'd hate to have to spend 50 dollars to ship it and then having to wait a month just to get a 10 dollar part.

Joe Leland
August 20, 2007, 04:08 PM
I have enjoyed mine. Zero problems,feeds everything, accurate. I did a search and found one of the longest threads probably on the net about a Ruger p90:

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/ruger/4-ruger-p-90-p-97-a.html

Joe Leland
August 20, 2007, 04:11 PM
P.S. Is there any way to get an extracter from Ruger that dosent involve shipping the firearm to them to get it fitted ? I 'd hate to have to spend 50 dollars to ship it and then having to wait a month just to get a 10 dollar part.

I don't think so. I know one guy who is a Ruger armorer. He gets "restricted" parts when he needs them. www.tarnhelm.com his name is Rick.
Otherwise, check the auctions/classifieds online.

bakert
August 20, 2007, 04:21 PM
"P.S. Is there any way to get an extractor from Ruger that dosent involve shipping the firearm to them to get it fitted"

You might check one of the Ruger Forums but I'm pretty sure a call to Ruger's parts dept in Prescott can get you a new extractor and maybe Brownells may have them too..

megjur
August 20, 2007, 05:11 PM
The P90 was engineered to fire the 10mm..its a tank.

lee n. field
August 20, 2007, 05:53 PM
My Davidsons special edition P90th does not like to chamber cast lead reloads all of a sudden

Check your bullet seating depth.

rantingredneck
August 20, 2007, 06:35 PM
I have a P89, a P90, and a P345. All three have been uber reliable. The P90 is alsy SCARY accurate. I shot the target below for the 15 yd challenge thread. 8 shots free handed at 15 yds.

http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/P90%20Target%207-26-07.jpg

This is typical accuracy from mine.

vzenmn
August 20, 2007, 06:38 PM
Quote:
My Davidsons special edition P90th does not like to chamber cast lead reloads all of a sudden

Check your bullet seating depth

Thanks, i'll try messing with that on the next batch .
The problem that I am having is that carbon and some other crud builds up in the chamber after about a half a box making it hard for the round to chamber. I'm thinking I need to find a harder cast bullet with cleaner lube(I'm using 6grs of unique with generic gunshow bought 230grs LRN bullets).

Anyway, to stop stealing this guys thread I'll post this question on the reloading forum.

Blue .45
August 20, 2007, 08:08 PM
I have a P97 which has been 100% reliable. I still want to get a P90. As I understand it, Irv Stone of Bar-Sto Precision consulted on the barrel design, which is probably the reason the P90 has the best reputation for accuracy of the P series pistols.

Dave Markowitz
August 20, 2007, 08:52 PM
P-90s are extraordinarily reliable, and generally extremely accurate. It's a real sleeper IMO. I have a blued one.

One other thing -- I find them to be very softest shooting for a .45, compared with my M1911 or S&W M625.

rantingredneck
August 20, 2007, 08:59 PM
One other thing -- I find them to be very softest shooting for a .45, compared with my M1911 or S&W M625.

If you like how soft the P90 is you should try the P345. The double spring recoil dampening system works extremely well.

MCgunner
August 20, 2007, 09:08 PM
Ditto, ditto, ditto. You cannot FORCE my P90 to jam. :D I've won some shoots with it and it's unGODly accurate. It's the only .45 I care to own. I believe the P90 is the gem of the Ruger autos. I only wish they offered one in 10mm. I'd be all over it like stink on............

http://www.imageigloo.com/images/4919PICT00371.JPG

The site seems to been having problems today, but it'll come back up.

KINGMAX
August 20, 2007, 09:12 PM
Yes I had one. I sold it to get into a GLOCK 21. I had no problem w/ it at all. I can't remember any malfunction of any type.

MCgunner
August 20, 2007, 09:13 PM
BTW, the P90 has the best trigger of the P guns I've owned, P85, P95, too.

novaDAK
August 20, 2007, 10:16 PM
only one failure to feed with my KP90...and it was due to a factory squib load that caused the slide to barely move back...the brass case from the squib just barely rolled out of the ejection port after it fired. A rack of the slide and inspection of the barrel (to make sure the bullet made it out) and it's been perfect since :)

All my other 5 ruger semi-autos have been 100% :)

Gunz
August 20, 2007, 10:32 PM
I truly enjoy my P90. It is the "Shrek" of 45 handguns.

I must admit that i always thought the trigger guard design sucked in appearance, but when in action, they are rather pratical with gloves and ergonomics.

I like my p90 best with the Hogue groove panels. The factory ones are fine, but the gun fills the hand better with teh finger groove panels. I found one se for $5 at a clearance table at a gun show, unused, and one gun came with it already installed.

DrDavidM
August 21, 2007, 09:26 AM
I have had a p89 since the mid 90's. I have never had an issue of any sort from it. I can shoot it better than any handun I have. I truly wish Ruger made a slightly more compact handgun I could carry on a daily basis because I LOVE my Ruger

eastwood44mag
August 21, 2007, 10:09 PM
The only problem I have with mine comes from ProMag magazines. Use good mags and you'll be fine.

trader vic
August 21, 2007, 10:31 PM
I have a P 90 that I got years ago when they 1st came out. If yours functions like mine you will be very happy, it feeds & ejects any ammo. Very accurate, handles very well. I have the rubber grip panels from Uncle Mike's on mine which gives a better non slip grip, and they look good too. Happy shooting. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

MPanova
August 22, 2007, 01:07 AM
Bought mine about 10 years ago for $289.00 at Carters Country. I have put about 40,000 rounds through it and I have not had any real trouble from it. I have not yet had to change anything and it still keeps going and going and going and well you get the idea, out of the 40,000 rounds through it I would say about 10-15% were +P. The only problem I have come across is it likes to send the spent cases along way and where ever it feels like it at the time, most of the time where it feels like it is where ever my wifes happens to be standing :D

P97
August 22, 2007, 07:34 AM
I have two 97's and recently got a 90. I love the 97's and am sure I will the 90 also. All mine are Decockers.

HiroProX
August 22, 2007, 01:44 PM
Like any Ruger P-series pistol, it's as reliable as an AK. Reasonable tolerances and a polished feedramp the size of I-20.

rantingredneck
August 22, 2007, 04:35 PM
polished feedramp the size of I-20.

:lol: I hope you don't mind but I'll be stealing that phrase at some point. I'll probably change it to I-40 though.

putteral
August 23, 2007, 06:35 PM
I just bought a Kp95dc15. going to the range tommorrow. Anybody have any thoughts on winchester 147 gr jhp Also anybody have any feeding issues. Will let you know how I made out.

vzenmn
August 24, 2007, 11:52 AM
/\
I'm probably the only person on earth who's had feeding problems with a p95.
You will your moneys worth out of it for sure.

novaDAK
August 24, 2007, 08:05 PM
I just bought a Kp95dc15. going to the range tommorrow. Anybody have any thoughts on winchester 147 gr jhp Also anybody have any feeding issues. Will let you know how I made out.
I have had experience with winchester 147gr jhp before. It shot fine though all of my Ruger 9mms, including the exact model you have. No trouble feeding at all :)

tkarter
August 24, 2007, 09:42 PM
I think it would feed a 22 Lr if you really wanted it to. Not recommended but Rugers feed when it is time to feed.

imho

tk

Tamlin
January 8, 2008, 07:55 PM
I know this is an older post, but I'm a new member who was searching for info on Ruger P90's, and what I have to say applies to many of the questions and comments previously posted. I recently bought a used P90TH. I've owned a Ruger P89 for about 6 years, and love it. I wanted a .45 in my battery, though, and chose the P90 over a Glock 21. Anyway, first time I took it to the range it kept misfiring. I called Ruger and they told me I needed a new extractor. The tech asked me if I thought I could install it myself (she said all I needed was a little screwdriver to pop the old one out). Ruger sent me the part (for free, of course, and I didn't have to send the gun in), and I had the new extractor installed in about 5 minutes. I noticed the old extractor was just a little bit bent. I took it back to the range, and haven't had a misfeed again. I love the P90 - the kick is only slightly more than the P89, and so now I carry it whenever possible. My groupings are pretty tight, although I'm consistently shooting to the left of center. Don't know if it's me or the sights, but it's consistent.

Anyway, my $0.02

vzenmn
January 8, 2008, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the boards.
Them TH models are just plane good looking.

I got a new extractor and ejector for my p90TH from Ruger back in September. I then change to Bullseye powder and seat depth in my reloads and have not had a FTF or FTE since.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger P90 reliability?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!