Handgun family trees.

PDA

Mikhail Konovalov
August 20, 2007, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure about most gun owners, but I for one enjoy tracing the lineage of my pistols back to their roots.

For example, my Israeli Jericho 941 is the sister of the Italian Tanfoglio family of handguns, which is descended from the Czechoslovakian CZ75, which in turn is (theoretically) a descendant of the Belgian Browning HP, which, in the end, is the daughter of the American 1911.

So, in a sense, any CZ-pattern pistol, while removed by generations of evolution, are, in essence, of American origin. Seems interesting to me. Anyone else do the same thing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun family trees." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JesseL
August 20, 2007, 07:33 PM
I'd guess that 90% of the semi-auto pistol you're likely to encounter are heavily derived from

the M1911 (tons of direct clones, plus quite a few models from the likes of LLama, Star, the Tokarev, etc.)
, the Hi-Power (almost anything with a linkless tilting barrel or a double-stack magazine)
, the Walther PP (oodles of double-action direct blowback pocket pistols like the Makarov, various design from Hungary like the PA-63, Bersa, etc.)
, or the Walther P38. (Beretta and Taurus and other auto pistols with the Walther type locking block).

Don Lu
August 20, 2007, 11:32 PM
nope, cant say that I have taken the time to do that...:scrutiny:

tbtrout
August 21, 2007, 12:26 AM
you need to shoot more and keep your mind from wandering.:D

joab
August 21, 2007, 12:33 AM
a descendant of the Belgian Browning HP, which, in the end, is the daughter of the American 1911.Wouldn't the hi Power actually be the 1911's sissy cousin

Had to get that one in for Dave
RIP

HammerBite
August 21, 2007, 02:30 AM
Mikhail . . .

Check your private messages.

fletcher
August 21, 2007, 10:24 AM
Can't really say I'm into gunealogy.

Technosavant
August 21, 2007, 01:54 PM
It isn't that surprising. One good idea tends to take hold and spread.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun family trees." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!