Ol' Jesse taking his antigun message to Britain

PDA

coyote_jr
August 20, 2007, 11:22 PM
It's interesting that he would have to have this talk with the Brits in the first place. After all, they did remove handguns from their society in 1997 didn't they?

Mon Aug 20, 6:20 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - American civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson said on Monday that it was critical that authorities stemmed the flow of guns into Britain's inner cities.

In London to launch Equanomics UK, a programme aimed at addressing social problems in inner cities, Jackson said that such communities were a "target market" for gun peddlers.

"Those guns to not emanate from impoverished areas, they end up there because they are a target market," Jackson told a central London press conference.

"We need to know where the guns are coming from ... and who is profiting from them. That is critical to security and stability."

A spate of shooting deaths in London earlier this year, the majority of them involving teenagers, provoked a storm of publicity and political concern about a spiralling gun and crime culture among the nation's youth.(emphasis mine)

Gun crime is still relatively rare in Britain and apart from special units, the country's police are unarmed.

Jackson said that Britain paid a "huge price when society is jilted in such a way as to see more value in building jails rather than schools."

"Pre-natal care and day-care on the front side of life is a better investment than jailcare and welfare on the back side."

He described Equanomics as meaning equal opportunity and equal democracy, "it means big tent democracy for all included."

Jackson described the dangers that inner-city ghettos would become places where "jobs go out, investment goes out and drugs and guns come in."

He criticised people who saw "more value in building jails rather than schools."

Do gun maufacturers really see the inner city populations as a target market?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ol' Jesse taking his antigun message to Britain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armedandsafe
August 21, 2007, 12:02 AM
"Pre-natal care and day-care on the front side of life is a better investment than jailcare and welfare on the back side."

I never thought I'd see the day when I agreed with anything that ....... person said.

Pops

LAR-15
August 21, 2007, 12:11 AM
Must be smuggling them in from those darn Channel Islands or Northern Ireland

larry starling
August 21, 2007, 12:13 AM
Good! I hope he stays there!!!!!!!!:neener:

Bartkowski
August 21, 2007, 12:24 AM
Good! I hope he stays there!!!!!!!!

Don't we all.

wjustinen
August 21, 2007, 12:33 AM
Removing the firearms controls would go a long way toward accomplishing the goal of removing the flow of guns to the inner cities.

After all, what's the point of being a gangsta with a gun when some little old lady is just going to shoot you in the face with a .45?

Geronimo45
August 21, 2007, 01:07 AM
Good! I hope he stays there!!!!!!!!
We're supposed to take the high road here. THR has members in Great Britain... and it ain't nice to wish Jesse on those innocent folks.

BRASSM
August 21, 2007, 01:09 AM
Hope they keep him.................

IA_farmboy
August 21, 2007, 01:17 AM
After all, what's the point of being a gangsta with a gun when some little old lady is just going to shoot you in the face with a .45?

I've heard something similar before... what was that again... OH it's
"Never argue with a loaded .45" -- Scorpions

coyote_jr
August 21, 2007, 01:39 AM
yeah where are some of our GB members? what do they think of our Ol' Jessie?

Irwin
August 21, 2007, 02:14 AM
Well even if he does come here atleast he is in london not in scotland :neener: But if he does come up here I think its time for a second holiday.

Ohio Rifleman
August 21, 2007, 02:17 AM
What more gun control can they possibly have in England? When will they get it?

Anotherguy
August 21, 2007, 02:26 AM
American civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson

Well now, isn't that just the pinnacle of irony?

Irwin
August 21, 2007, 02:26 AM
Ohio Rifleman they could just ban Auto loading shotguns if they felt like it anything could happen:eek: Things the way they are makes me want to get to america as soon as possible, just need to get my qualifications first.
Irwin

Ohio Rifleman
August 21, 2007, 02:28 AM
I thought autoloading shotguns were already illegal for commoners in England?

Irwin
August 21, 2007, 02:31 AM
We are only aloud a up to 3 shells in the magazine i think or its 2 and 1 in the tube, funny thing is i can buy a auto loader for cheaper than a side by side just need to get that permit thing out of the way first.

velojym
August 21, 2007, 03:00 AM
Funny. You'd think an intelligent parasite would try a little harder to promote the survival of its host.
The first victims of gun control are usually the same po' black folks he claims to 'represent', leaving folks like Rosie O'Donnell with their armed protection intact.
That's not the best word, though. He thinks he's the emperor of black people (as Token on South Park will attest).

Novus Collectus
August 21, 2007, 03:09 AM
He is coming by the Washington D.C. area to protest in front of a MD gun shop on Aug 28th.
Some are planning on going down there to show some support of the shop owner.

coyote_jr
August 21, 2007, 03:12 AM
that is great to hear, hope our side outnumbers them

Odd Job
August 21, 2007, 03:15 AM
yeah where are some of our GB members? what do they think of our Ol' Jessie?

Don't think much of him, no sir.

I thought autoloading shotguns were already illegal for commoners in England?

You can have an autoloader on a shotgun certificate as long as it cannot hold more than three rounds. If you want a shotgun certificate it is up to the police to demonstrate why you cannot have it.
You can get an autoloading shotgun with no 'magazine' restriction if you put it on a firearms certificate. If you want a firearms certificate, it is up to you to provide the police with a good reason why you need it.

Firearms: many of the smuggled weapons come from Eastern Europe. Others are converted air weapons such as the Brocock pistol.
But lately there has been a change in the communities' attitudes towards these shootings involving teenagers (I must add that there are many stabbings too). The community leaders are now realising that the problem is the gangs, not the guns. There is a cultural issue here too. It is a significant aspect and there is even a dedicated unit that investigates black-on-black violence: Operation Trident.

Ohio Rifleman
August 21, 2007, 03:40 AM
You can have an autoloader on a shotgun certificate as long as it cannot hold more than three rounds. If you want a shotgun certificate it is up to the police to demonstrate why you cannot have it.

Wow, so the default is you CAN have an autoloading shotgun with 3 or less rounds, and the burden of proof is on the police to prove why you can't? Still sucks, but better than I thought.

And, gosh darn it, I'm an optimist. I think England will wake up and realize it isn't the guns and knives causing crime, it's the people.

ozwyn
August 21, 2007, 08:44 AM
Any information on that aug 28 maryland gun shop visit? Would be a damn shame for there to be a sizable counter protest with vocal and reasoned arguments on the hypocrsy of gun control from a "civil rights" leader.

Dravur
August 21, 2007, 08:48 AM
is... and I say this in the spirit of the high road... a true shakedown artist and huckster. Somehow, someone is paying him to go to GB. He does not do this for any reason except to shake down some company or government. He must be running out of sheep here to fleece.

He has to keep "donations" coming in to keep his entourage in cookies.

Standing Wolf
August 21, 2007, 10:48 AM
American civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson said on Monday...

I'm a civil rights activist. He's a statist parasite.

foghornl
August 21, 2007, 10:51 AM
Hmmmmmmm

(not very High Road idea to follow....)

If Rev. Jackson goes overseas to Great Britain, could the US cancel his passport while he is there? ? ? ?

and apologies to all THR members 'over there"

USAFNoDAk
August 21, 2007, 10:57 AM
"Those guns to not emanate from impoverished areas, they end up there because they are a target market," Jackson told a central London press conference.

"We need to know where the guns are coming from ... and who is profiting from them. That is critical to security and stability."

Well, we can't figure out where the drugs are coming from and who's profiting from them. We do know that many come from South America and arrive here through Central America and Mexico. We sure can't seem to stop it however. In England, they have a war on guns, similar to our war on drugs. They will lose. The black market has been installed and it's there to stay as long as they keep their laws making most guns, especially handguns, illegal. The main difference between the war on guns and the war on drugs is that illicit drugs are not very useful for self defense or defense of community, state or nation if the poop hits the rotating air movement device.

Roebuck
August 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
Please note my reluctance to keep the Reverend Jesse Jackson in U.K. We already have enough of his type of our own. As for our firearms laws? Described as Draconian and the strictest in Europe and all to no avail.

matt87
August 21, 2007, 11:09 AM
If they 'know' where these guns are coming from, surely they can simply set a sting and.. oh yeah RIGHT it's Jesse Jackson. Wonder if he's going to stand at the Holland & Holland gunroom in Harrods and mention 'snuffing out' those who supply 70,000 double rifles in .456 Toff Express to inner city kids...

Colt46
August 21, 2007, 01:51 PM
I didn't really mean grass either. Cash comes to mind.

Maybe Jesse has realized that people are getting wise to his game here in the US.

velojym
August 21, 2007, 01:52 PM
Except for the utility value of each (which is never a simple as it seems), the War on Guns and the War on Drugs is the very same issue. It's a matter of telling people what they may or may not do with their property.
The WOD is a sterling example of government not learning from the past, as Prohibition taught nearly everyone else.
Guns, Drugs, Freon... ban it, punish people for it, make it harder to get... it becomes fabulously profitable as the risk levels go up. So, you hand an entire industry over to the elements who are most likely to trade risk for profit.
There will be gun cartels, gun smugglers (and already are), and even more violations of the Bill o' Rights as the police try to fight this 'War'.
Just like with drugs, and before it, alcohol.

trueblue1776
August 21, 2007, 01:56 PM
Looks like JJ rented Hot Fuzz last weekend too.

Limeyfellow
August 21, 2007, 02:11 PM
a true shakedown artist and huckster. Somehow, someone is paying him to go to GB. He does not do this for any reason except to shake down some company or government. He must be running out of sheep here to fleece.

Unfortantly that happens alot of times when they send people to preach to the evil heathens of the UK. Its bad enough the junk they have here in the US. We kicked them out the country once already.

Novus Collectus
August 21, 2007, 02:36 PM
Ozwyn: Any information on that aug 28 maryland gun shop visit? Would be a damn shame for there to be a sizable counter protest with vocal and reasoned arguments on the hypocrsy of gun control from a "civil rights" leader. This is as much as I know:
http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=25125&postcount=1

coyote_jr
August 21, 2007, 04:00 PM
God Bless all the MD shooters. Now get your butts out there and show em we aren't going anywhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ol' Jesse taking his antigun message to Britain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!