So, did YOU steal Elvis' gun? :)

PDA

Richard.Howe
August 21, 2007, 11:23 AM
THR Trivia Time -- what model is the missing pistol?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/21/elvis.gun.ap/index.html

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (AP) -- A handgun once owned by Elvis Presley was stolen from a museum as fans converged on Memphis to mark the 30th anniversary of the singer's death, authorities said.

A fan signs the wall outside Graceland during the vigil marking the 30th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death.

The black, 9mm Smith & Wesson pistol was taken Tuesday from a display case in the Elvis After Dark museum, across the street from Graceland, Presley's mansion, police said.

A video camera caught a man removing the pistol from the display case around midnight.

The theft was discovered Friday when a visitor noticed that a glass panel on the case was unfastened and Graceland officials reviewed the video. Graceland operates the museum.

Presley died at Graceland on August 16, 1977, and is buried in a small garden beside the house.

If you enjoyed reading about "So, did YOU steal Elvis' gun? :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
August 21, 2007, 11:30 AM
I seem to recall from another report it was a S&W revolver, but I don't recall the details. The thug who stole it was apparantly seen shaking the case it was in on security videotape, and removed a glass panel (or broke it) and then took the gun. He left blood there, according to what I read, so DNA evidence may be able to get him good, assuming he gets picked up.

hankdatank1362
August 21, 2007, 11:32 AM
What, they can't just input the DNA into their database and immediately realize who the thief is? Don't they have dna samples on everybody like on CSI?

:evil:

foghornl
August 21, 2007, 11:36 AM
That guy seen on the video tape ACTUALLY IS Elvis, and he gave it to me....

:evil: :D :evil: :D :evil: :D :evil:

"Thank Yew Thank yew very Much..."

"Elvis has left the building..."

Geronimo45
August 21, 2007, 12:25 PM
Elvis done it.

sterling180
August 21, 2007, 12:34 PM
I think that it is awful to steal something like that,which once belonged to a dead man.People seem to have no respect for the late king of rock and roll,at all.Perhaps the ghost of Elvis will haunt him for the rest of his life.When you visit Graceland,you go there and admire the house and pay your respects,to the king.

In any case,why wasn't there tighter security controls in there anyway?Some genuine fan he was.

Dravur
August 21, 2007, 01:10 PM
He needed the gun back as there is this mummy he needs to whack.

oooh, obscure movie ref.....

Elvis has left the building... and he's armed!

nutty7462
August 21, 2007, 01:34 PM
dravur: what movie was that? I've seen it, but I can't remember the name. It had Bruce Campbell in it right?

sacp81170a
August 21, 2007, 01:39 PM
Who would want a S&W 9mm from that era anyway? :neener:

Rick O'Shea
August 21, 2007, 01:51 PM
It's not this one, is it:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=75537961? :p

Stickjockey
August 21, 2007, 02:51 PM
Hey Dravur-

That mummy wouldn't happen to be some sort of Bubba Hotep, would it?:evil:

Dravur
August 21, 2007, 02:59 PM
perhaps.... hehe

El Barto
August 21, 2007, 04:12 PM
I have been to Graceland twice, the first time it was not of my choosing. I was under the impression that such a place was for fat old ladies wearing spandex, clutching velvet Elvis paintings. After visiting, I was really struck by the place and I totally recommend the tour including the airplanes and auto museum.

The house is a virtual time capsule from the 70’s and is impressive as a look back on the style and of the man. I can’t describe it, but if you were to walk through his display of gold records, I doubt many people wouldn’t feel some sort of awe. People have turned the memory of Elvis into a caricature and overhyped the persona so much that the reality of the man is/was lost.

To keep on topic, the displays that held some of his guns were kind of flimsy security wise.

Also, be sure to see Bubba Nosferatu and the Curse of the She-Vampires.

fishingjld
August 21, 2007, 07:05 PM
i wish i had that gun. i am sure it would worth a few dollars at the flea market this weekend. :what:

Acera
August 21, 2007, 09:16 PM
Police have recovered the black, 9-mm Smith & Wesson pistol stolen from the Elvis After Dark exhibit at Graceland, Presley's Memphis estate, amid last week's anniversary celebrations.

The theft was brought to the attention of authorities on Friday, after a fan noticed that a glass panel was unfastened. Surveillance cameras showed a man removing the pistol from the display case around midnight on Aug. 14.

After seeing news reports of the theft, custodial worker Travis Brookins turned the gun over to police.

Brookins told officers that he was cleaning portable toilets behind the exhibit hall last Thursday when he found the gun in the muck. Unaware where the gun had come from, he took it home and cleaned it.

According to Memphis police, Brookins telephoned in and said he believed he had found the stolen gun. Authorities believe the thief must have dropped the gun into the toilet.

2RCO
August 21, 2007, 09:22 PM
I gotta say if I found a gun in a toilet. Either leave it be or promptly call the police. Luckily I am not in the toilet cleaning business and if one shows up in my own toilet that would be somewhat troubling to say the least.

tinygnat219
August 21, 2007, 09:44 PM
Sorry, I took it out for a Rhinestone upgrade.

Dropped it in the toilet when I wanted to see where Elvis was found. Whoops!

joplinsks
August 21, 2007, 10:36 PM
Someone stole the gun around midnight? Didn't think a museum would be open that late... unless it's due to the anniversary of his death.

Whoever took the gun probably thought they needed it for protection. That area of Memphis can get scary after dark.

sterling180
August 24, 2007, 04:25 PM
Maybe they should bog wash Travis,for the theft of the pistol.He won't want to look at another toilet,after this horrible ordeal.:evil::neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "So, did YOU steal Elvis' gun? :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!