Trivia question

PDA

Oleg Volk
January 8, 2003, 11:24 PM
I don't know the answer, either. Why is Russian rifle ammo usually packed in lots of 440 rounds? Seems like an arbitrary number...

If you enjoyed reading about "Trivia question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kaylee
January 8, 2003, 11:34 PM
Are you questioning the wisdom of the Leader, Comrade?

I didn't think so.

:p

-K

JeFF D
January 8, 2003, 11:52 PM
Cause 22 boxes fit in the can??? Thats the best I can come up with.

Andrew Wyatt
January 8, 2003, 11:58 PM
what's a combat load for a russian infantryman? 40 rounds? (i'm assuming they have two clips per pouch)

do the russians have 11 man squads?

Uncle Ethan
January 9, 2003, 01:36 AM
Easier for barter - 440 rds = 1 pint Vodka or 10 # potatoes

Gordon
January 9, 2003, 01:41 AM
Because the black market cut was 60 rds?

marsh
January 9, 2003, 01:52 AM
:neener: Because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

marsh

Slotback
January 9, 2003, 02:12 AM
Bureaucratic inertia?

Sheslinger
January 9, 2003, 02:29 AM
so that you can have a nice round number between two full mags and a full can.

Grasping at straws at 12:30 am, I did some searching on the web and could not find the real answer.

Seeker
January 9, 2003, 04:03 AM
...'cause they gots that thar metric system over there. :p

telewinz
January 9, 2003, 07:54 AM
Because Ms. comrade, the worker (elite) committee voted to change the specs on the ammo can to foil the capitalistic plot to burden the working class with back problems. How would you like to lift ammo cases all day? Remember, 440 rds to a can but TWO cans to a case :what:

Hutch
January 9, 2003, 03:54 PM
Same reason their sights are calibrated in arshins (or whatever) instead of yards or meters.

bogie
January 9, 2003, 04:09 PM
Because.

Mike Irwin
January 9, 2003, 04:20 PM
Arshins...

Hasn't been the case since the Soviets took over and modernized to the metric system, Hutch...

Archie
January 9, 2003, 06:18 PM
The Moisin-Nagant rifle used 5 round stripper clips.
The SKS and AK-47 ammo (and I suppose AK-74 ammo) comes on ten round stripper clips.

I'd say it has something to do with the size of a Soviet rifle squad. One can "feeds" one squad, each trooper gets X number of rounds.

Either that, or the can came first.
"Okay-dokay Comrade Private. If you are putting rounds in can like so, you can get 440 rounds into heroic can of People's Army."
Bureaucrats are pretty much bureaucrats.

Just remember, this guess is worth at least double the purchase price.

rock jock
January 9, 2003, 06:23 PM
And the No. 1 reason: (drum roll)

"Its part of the 5-year plan"

PATH
January 9, 2003, 06:25 PM
Hmmmm! This is a piece of arcane knowledge that must be pursued. As we endeavor to eschew obfuscation and arcane argot on this board I shall research this matter. Without seeking to seem the pedant I will try to get an answer for you!

4v50 Gary
January 9, 2003, 06:33 PM
Path - "I dunno but I'll find out," would work just fine.

As for me, my guess is that the factory machinery that canned the ammo never adapted for the 7.62 x39. That would be counter-revolutionary! If it was good enough for Comrade Lenin, it's good enough for us! :D

Jason Demond
January 9, 2003, 06:35 PM
It's because 450 rounds wouldn't fit.:D

PATH
January 9, 2003, 07:13 PM
Gary,

My apologies. Sometimes I wax poetic!

natedog
January 9, 2003, 07:18 PM
out with it Oleg, what is it?

pale horse
January 9, 2003, 07:19 PM
Maybe because you can divide the capicity of the mosin nagant, 5 by 440 you will come up with 88. That maybe it.

Just curious what is the size of a russian rifle squad?

Mal H
January 9, 2003, 07:27 PM
Because 440 rounds is almost exactly 10 kilograms. ???

Redlg155
January 9, 2003, 07:47 PM
Because there are 439 supreme ranking members of the Communist Party.

In case of revolt, 439 bullets for the supreme ranking members, 1 for the leader of the revolt.

In case of problems, break open a case! It works a lot better than elections.

Good Shooting
RED

Oleg Volk
January 9, 2003, 08:19 PM
Rifles used 5 rounds (Mosins), 10 rounds (SVT, SVD), 15 rounds (AVS). DP27 used 47-round pans. Nothing that points to 440 -- yet all Eastern block countries except maybe Yugoslavia used that number. :confused:

blades67
January 9, 2003, 08:27 PM
It's a ploy to keep us busy while they sneak up on us. Hey, who's that behind you?!:scrutiny: :evil:

Redlg155
January 9, 2003, 09:02 PM
Ok..did a little searching so I think I got the water a bit muddier. :D

This is from Mosin Nagant .Net (http://www.mosin-nagant.net/r2ssia.htm) Russian Ammo question area.

Packaging

7.62x54R cartridges are packed in 15 round boxes or 20 round paper wrapped bundles. After the early 1960's stripper clips and the 15 round boxes were no longer used. 22- twenty round bundles (440 rounds) are packaged in a tin, two tins to a case. 18- fifteen round boxes (270 rounds) were packed in a tin marked with a "brackets" symbol denoting the inclusion of stripper clips. The transition from the early rectangular galvanized tins to painted tins with rounded corners occurred in the very early 1960's.

The type of cartridge is stenciled on the tin. If it is Tracer, API or APIT, then a bullet tip colored stripe is painted on the tin and on the side of the wooden case. Unlike other countries, Russia did not paint a silver stripe to represent "LPS" ammunition. Instead the letters, "LPS", are included in the markings.

If I'm reading this correctly they didn't go to 440rds until the mid 60's. I'll have to approach this from a new direction. If this is correct, by the time they did the change the 7.62 cartridge was no longer their main battle rifle cartridge. The PK machine gun has belted links..so that wouldn't be the answer.

Hmm..still searching. It could be something as simple as packaging. Once they eliminated the stripper clips they could have found out they could put more ammo in a tin, at the same time keeping the same basic dimensions.

Good Shooting
RED

Ron L
January 9, 2003, 11:16 PM
Like the size of the space shuttle, to the width of a railroad track, it probably has something to do with the size of a horse's arse. :rolleyes:

Thumper
January 9, 2003, 11:25 PM
What does Schumer have to do with anything, Ron?

:D

JohnBT
January 10, 2003, 12:16 AM
I bet they set the machines up to make 500-round batches, but never got more than 440 good rounds out of any batch.

There's no accounting for Commie-block inefficiency or economics.

According to National Geographic, there's a thriving black market in burned out light bulbs. People buy them to substitute for the good ones they steal from work or the public areas of their apartment buildings.

Really.

Really. No bull.

John

twoblink
January 10, 2003, 01:19 AM
From all that I have read:

It's a railroad track, vs train size question;

The answer (I think) is that the tin came first; the military used tin from something that was not primarily designed for the carrying of ammo.

So they stuffed as much as would fit in the tin, that number was 440.

I'm almost positive this is why.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trivia question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!