help please

PDA

blondebombshell
August 22, 2007, 01:30 PM
I've been trying to decide on a .22LR semi-automatic pistol for target shooting. I would like decent iron sights, but am leaning heavily toward mounting a red-dot sight on it. Longest range would most likely be 25 yds.

The two pistols I've seen that I like are 1) Smith & Wesson 22-A. 2)Beretta U22 Neo.
What are your opinions of these two pistols and do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks- Jenn

If you enjoyed reading about "help please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
glockman19
August 22, 2007, 01:46 PM
I happen to like the Ruger MX III pistols.

WOODROW
August 22, 2007, 01:51 PM
I purchased the Ruger model 22/45. I wanted to teach my wife to shoot and this .22 comes from the factory with a slide stop that you can actually use with your thumb, 3 dot sights, a thumb saftey, a very nice trigger and it grips almost like my full size 1911 .45 acp. It is VERY accurate out to 25 yrds and the 10 rd magazines do not break the banK at $15-$20 ea. The price of the weapon is not bad either. (under $300 with 4 x-tra mags). The only draw back is trying to disassemble it for a GOOD cleaning, so I just don't take it apart, I clean it the best I can and so far (over 4200rds) no problems. Shoots anything you put in it. I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than a 9MM for self defense. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Hoffy
August 22, 2007, 02:04 PM
I have a Browning Buckmark Contour 5.5 and really like it. It has a build in rail so you'll be set to go once you get a red dot. They also have a "Contour Lite" version that is considerably lighter.

crankshop1000
August 22, 2007, 02:54 PM
I have a 22A 7" with a Bushnell red dot on it. I love it!!! I have not had a FT feed or FT fire. The 22A comes all ready for the red dot with the standard Weaver rail on the barrel. 100' 10 shot single dime sized hole accuracy. Chuck

rantingredneck
August 22, 2007, 04:30 PM
Ruger 22/45. If you buy a Ruger with adjustable sights it comes standard with a Weaver rail for mounting optics. I've got the 22/45 with 5.5 inch bull barrel and a BSA red dot. It's one hole accurate at 25 yds and I can make cans dance on the 50 yd berm with it.

Kevin108
August 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
Do you have any pistols now you could purchase a conversion kit for?

Average Joe
August 22, 2007, 05:32 PM
Ruger MKIII

lev83
August 22, 2007, 05:44 PM
My vote would be for one of the following guns
S&W Mod 41 with 5.5" Bbl - Best target .22 on the market but kind of expensive.
Ruger Mark II with 5.5" bull Bbl. - good compromise to the model 41 but a pain in the behind to take down.

mpmarty
August 22, 2007, 05:45 PM
Ruger. Reliable, accurate, many options and accessories for it.

GaryArkansas
August 22, 2007, 05:54 PM
I've got a 22A.

Its not expensive to acquire. If you outgrow it, you can always get the more expensive Smith & Wesson. It has the S&W warranty, which is great, and its got a full length sight rail from the factory.

Father Knows Best
August 22, 2007, 05:57 PM
Kimber Rimfire Super. It's the middle gun in this pic:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/mosmoke/DSC00093.jpg

It is the exact same size and shape as a .45ACP 1911, and the controls are the same, so it makes a great training gun. It has an aluminum frame and slide, though, so it is very light weight. Operation is blowback with a fixed barrel like all .22LR pistols. The sights are excellent and fully adjustable. I love it!

2RCO
August 22, 2007, 06:16 PM
Agree on the Ruger MKII or MKIII cheap, accurate and easy to mess with.
Like the Kimber also but a bit pricey for a good number of shooters. Course you can always throw out $300 or less and by a conversion for most 1911s.

Cougfan2
August 22, 2007, 06:43 PM
I shoot a Hi Standard Supermatic Tournament Military that I got many, many years ago. I like it because fully loaded it has almost the exact same weight and balance as a fully loaded steel frame 5" 1911. This one will get passed down to my grandkids.:)

BlkHawk73
August 22, 2007, 06:44 PM
Ruger or browning.

sig226
August 22, 2007, 06:58 PM
Ruger Mark III has the most choices for a factory pistol. Brownings are a little more accurate IMO. I've seen several 22As in which the rear post broke and the pistol had to be replaced. I haven't spoken with anyone who regularly shoots a Neos, so I can't offer an opinion on it.

Snapping Twig
August 22, 2007, 07:03 PM
My Ruger Mk II 5" bull barrel is the most accurate pistol I have ever fired.

Go with the Ruger. Affordable, available, accurate.

KiltedClaymore
August 22, 2007, 07:09 PM
ruger Mk II. if you want to shoot out aways, get a 6inch barrel. great gun, real reliable.

lamazza
August 22, 2007, 07:45 PM
As a RO I see alot of S&W .22 -Its usually bang bang #@&$$# pull slide Bang Bang -Pull slide.
I like Buckmarks.

bamabluesman
August 22, 2007, 08:16 PM
oooh oooh oooh (raises hand) Buckmark and then there is always the buckmark. Did I mention Buckmark. Lots of aftermarket parts for the ruger though. Thats because they need them. I would suggest a buckmark. Or did I already mention that?

10-Ring
August 22, 2007, 08:25 PM
I have had a great time over the years shooting my Mk II Slabside Ruger...

Black Adder LXX
August 22, 2007, 08:37 PM
I like many of the others would prefer the Ruger MkIII or the Browning Buckmark. I've shot my friend's MkIII a bunch of times and have 2200 rounds through my *new* Buckmark. Both are excellent.

antsi
August 22, 2007, 08:39 PM
Re, conversion kit:

If you already have a 1911 pattern pistol, Marvel Precision makes an outstanding .22 slide/barrel/magazine kit. It can be had either with iron sights or a rail for optics. These things are crazy accurate and are popular among Bullseye competition shooters.

tbtrout
August 22, 2007, 09:21 PM
I have always liked the Ruger 22/45

Ala Dan
August 22, 2007, 09:50 PM
Browning BuckMark why? Better performer, classy looks~! ;):D

iwilc2
August 22, 2007, 09:53 PM
i have a ruger 22/45 great target 22.

edmorales
August 22, 2007, 11:16 PM
colt woodsman

Anna's Dad
August 23, 2007, 11:41 AM
I own a Sig Trailside and a Browning Buck Mark. The Sigs are no longer made, but you can still find them new and they are just fantastic.

I enjoy the Browning as well, but the balance and accuracy of the Sig are superior in my opinion.

I don't own a Ruger 22, but I know they seem to be the most popular. The only one I ever shot was a beat up rental at a gun range.

Also, I know there have been reliability issues with some of the Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito guns. Some love them, but others call them jam-o-matics. I guess its just whether or not you get a good one.

No experience at all with the Smith or Beretta you have in your poll. I own other Smiths (M&Ps) and other Beretta (Tomcat, Bobcat) and they are all excellent pistols.

MrDig
August 23, 2007, 01:19 PM
Other but there are already posts about the Buckmark or the Ruger. I just prefer them.

blondebombshell
August 23, 2007, 02:06 PM
thanks for the opinions everyone, this would be my very first gun that i would own. been using my bfs when we go out to the range and now i think it is time for me to have my own.

rdoty
August 23, 2007, 11:02 PM
As you can tell there are several choices depending on how much you want to spend. I've got a Ruger Mk III and bought it because it seemed like the best bang for the buck, no pun intended. I have a red dot on it and love it. It's never missed a beat and I've put about 1000 rounds of Wolf and Eley through it so far. My eleven year old daughter is learning to shoot with it and she's already giving me a run for my money.

RP86
August 23, 2007, 11:10 PM
I prefer .22 revolvers, but if I had to choose an auto it would be a Ruger. The Neo looks like it should shoot a laser, and the 22a has always seemed sketchy to me.

rbernie
August 23, 2007, 11:14 PM
Buckmark.

GunTech
August 23, 2007, 11:18 PM
S&W model 41. Everything else sucks by comparison.

Monkeybear
August 23, 2007, 11:48 PM
I had a Neos. It was accurate, reliable and easy to take apart and put back together again. It also has a huge thick barrel and a tiny poly frame. What this means is that it gets top heavy real quick. The 4" barrel is reputed to be much less accurate than the 6". From all accounts the 6" is the way to go on the Neos. I had the 7.5" and let me tell you it got less fun to shoot by the minute.

Basically get a Neos if you want one but treat it like a motorcycle helmet. Sure it feels fine the moment you put it on but if its not the right one an hour later its like a form of torture. Basically hold one in your hands at the shop for 25-20 minutes and see if you still like it.

I personally like either the CZ Kadet (http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=34) or the Browning Buckmark Challange (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=006B&cat_id=051&type_id=391).

I like the CZ because to me CZ just dose everything right. I like the Buckmark Challenge because it doesn't have that huge bull barrel everyone is putting on their guns now days. Its got a nice svelt pencil barrel with all the weight on your wrist, can hold that thing up all day if you need to and its as accurate as I'll ever be.

Tully M. Pick
August 24, 2007, 01:19 PM
Buckmark.

Rokman
August 24, 2007, 11:27 PM
I second or third the posts that recommend Ruger or Browning.

GRB
August 24, 2007, 11:34 PM
If you can afford one: Beretta 87 Target Model

See: http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm

All the best,
Glenn B

doc2rn
August 25, 2007, 04:00 PM
I have owned every type of .22 you could imagine but I truly enjoy the Ruger Mark I series. The 6" .22-a would be my 2nd choice.

ArchAngelCD
August 25, 2007, 11:52 PM
I have a S&W M22A and a Ruger Mark II, both are good target pistols. It all comes down to which you can shoot well and which one feels better in your hand.

If you enjoyed reading about "help please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!