perfect CCW does it exist?

PDA

bamabluesman
August 22, 2007, 10:54 PM
For me I haven't found it. Just wanted to see who else was seeking the same thing as me. I have looked for it and tried the closest thing I could find and just couldn't make myself like it. My perfect ccw would be a lightweight sub compact single stack 9mm in SA or DA/SA that can be carried C&L in the pocket. I settled for a Kahr as the closest thing I could find in a true sub compact pocket weapon but soon traded it in on another rifle. I have tried my friends glocks and walthers and my Kahr and just can't make myself like a striker fired pistol. Anyone else have this same quest? Unless anyone can suggest anything better I am looking into a S&W 3913. Still way too heavy and no C&L, but again its close as I can find.

If you enjoyed reading about "perfect CCW does it exist?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
elkhuntingfool
August 22, 2007, 11:08 PM
I have mine. Taurus PT145. Easy to conceal. Holds 10+1. I can slip it into my pocket if needed without being 'made'. Fits me perfectly.

DAdams
August 22, 2007, 11:19 PM
In a pistol, Rohrbaugh R9s.

In a revolver S&W M&P 340.

finalcut
August 22, 2007, 11:42 PM
If Kahr came in SA/DA with decocker & Safety and no issues it would be close for me.
If Taurus PT140 was more reliable it would also be close. I realize that for many people Taurus has been good - but Taurus has also been a let down for many. I just don't like the odds, and won't gamble with my life or money.

What I carry is HK USPc and I love it. I also have an XD sub that I like o lot.

sm
August 22, 2007, 11:44 PM
Nope.

One cannot change people, places and things - the only thing they have any control over are themselves.

One learns correct basic fundamentals with a gun that fits them, after actually shooting a variety of guns, and even using various holsters, to make an informed CCW decision for THEM.

At that moment, that is still not "perfect", just the best informed and tested choice.

Then one gets sick, hurt, minor surgery...these often affect that CCW choice.
Even if nothing happens, just time itself takes it toll.

Folks lose weight, gain weight, ladies are pregnant for 9 months and then all of a sudden with a baby , CCW requirements change.

Arthritis kicks in...all sorts of stuff like eyesight kicks in.

Anatomy changes, you shrink as you get older, still just normal living means the body changes.

Folks pay money to get a shotgun fitted, by a qualified gun fitter.
Not uncommon in 3 years to have that same gun, fitted again.
Same types of things occur with CCW, and any guns.

One constant should not change, and that is having the correct basic fundamentals down pat, and the Mental Game down pat.

Ragnar Danneskjold
August 22, 2007, 11:54 PM
My Taurus PT140 is at the top of my list by far.

comeandtakeit
August 23, 2007, 12:00 AM
Good luck trying to find one perfect ccw. I have several ccw for several different types of situations. Make sure you have a gun for what ever circumstanes come your way.

Gordon
August 23, 2007, 12:01 AM
Colt Defender Lt. weight is close....but I wonder why I don't carry it very much?

gbran
August 23, 2007, 12:35 AM
I too have looked hi & low for that perfect CCW. I've cycled thru many and am still not satisfied. Some I've tried;

Taurus titanium 7rnd 357 snubbie.... really liked this, but ammo sensitive and a little too big.

Makarov. Not enough power, too heavy, but not bad. Still have it.

S&W scandium 40-40PD...... too big and pretty heavy for a scandium auto.

Glock G26... not quite small, a little bulky and too heavy.

Kahr PM9... close, a good pocket gun, but 6+1 seems not enough. Still have it.

Glock G26... so far, the best compromise. A little bigger than the Kahr, but 10+1.

S&W Airweight snubbie... great for carry, but the Kahr holds more and 9mm beats .38. Still have it.

I'm still looking for a 600 Nitro pocket gun that holds 15 rounds and kicks like a .22.

Devonai
August 23, 2007, 12:53 AM
The Sig P228 comes to mind.

CPshooter
August 23, 2007, 01:39 AM
It would if Glock would make a G26 with dimensions no wider than 1". Maybe even a 3" barrel. The CCW market would cease to exist. It would be so reliable (thats first and foremost), light, and concealable that it would put people like Kahr out of business. There wouldn't be another option for CCW anymore...best of all it would stop the "what's the best CCW pistol?" threads from popping up so much. haha.

Seriously though, who wouldn't lay down 500 bucks for a 1" wide G26, assuming it was reliable??? I know I would.

Clipper
August 23, 2007, 02:52 AM
Life's too short to shoot ugly pistols...No glock, no how for me! My PT-145 was dead reliable, but just too much for pocket carry. I went back to my ol' standby, my P3AT, but I have a PF-9 on deck to be my new 'always' pistol.

Loucks
August 23, 2007, 03:42 AM
Life's too short to shoot ugly pistols...No glock, no how for me!

I know what you mean, Clipper, but think of it this way: Let's assume (God forbid) that you're forced to use your defensive pistol some day. If you're carrying a Glock, it won't bother you in the least when the cops take it and throw it into the back of the evidence locker. :D

I agree, though, that there is no one "perfect" CCW. I think that the Colt Commander (series 70, steel, .45ACP) comes closest for me, but extra weight doesn't bother me much.

Ragnar Danneskjold
August 23, 2007, 04:01 AM
Take the size,shape, and ergonomics of a Walther P22, upgrade the quality of parts, make it a serious caliber, and you've got the perfect CCW.

gbelleh
August 23, 2007, 08:43 AM
Right now, I'm satisfied with my Kel-Tec PF-9 as the "perfect" summer CCW for now. It's only .88" wide, lightweight, and carries 8 rounds of +p 9mm, and mine has proven reliable. It's pretty close to your criteria, except it's a DAO with no C&L capability.

Clipper
August 23, 2007, 09:19 AM
Loucks, there's no way I'm not gonna feel bad about that eventuallity, if it happens, but if it does, I'll only feel 1/2 as bad about my Kel-Tec as a glock, right?

WOODROW
August 23, 2007, 09:21 AM
I am currently carrying a LTC4 1/2" PARA .45 that I have had major work and parts replaced on it to make it carry ready. It is not the perfect CCW, but that just means I get to keep looking and experimenting or playing with new toys as my wife puts it. I think the holster makes up for a lot of the concealment problems. A good pancake holster can help hide a medium to even full size weapon under a light shirt.

SLOW IS SMOOTH, SMOOTH IS FAST

Thaddeus Jones
August 23, 2007, 09:35 AM
S&W 3913 is the perfect CCW pistol, IMHO of course. I'd look no further.

Pistol Toter
August 23, 2007, 09:35 AM
Perfection if attainable would be a vacuum. In that statement I define; if you ever attained perfection there would be nothing else and nothing else being empty or a vacuum. Nature abhors a vacuum. Now after expounding on such bovine fecal matter; I will say that the closest to a perfect conceal carry weapon that I have been able to find is a Ruger SP101, .357 magnum with a 2.25" barrel. The 3.06" potentially is better but only with the increase sight radius. Yes the revolver is heavy and a bit blocky for pocket carry; but the weight is almost a requirement for greater recoil of the magnum loads. It is a lifetime gun in that I suspect would be very difficult to wear out. It is as relaible as any firearm known to mankind. With a five shot capacity, the average shots fired confrontation is 3.5 rounds expended, is adaquate; and a speed strip or speed loader is not dificult to carry. The SP does need to be carried in holster due to it's weight but with the plethora of carry wear this problem is not insurmountable. It is as near to perfection, in my opinion, as reasonably possible. The same could be said for the S&W model 60. I employ the Ruger SP101 for everyday carry in a Bianchi 7L pancake style holster with a deeper concealment Bianchi S3 IWB style scabbard.

redneckrepairs
August 23, 2007, 09:42 AM
No imho there is no ONE perfect ccw pistol . I have pretty much settled on Kahr (s) to meet my needs from deep cover thro every day carry . I just bought a HK p7 for dress occations and get togeathers when i want something that looks a bit more " formal " .

mavracer
August 23, 2007, 09:47 AM
bovine fecal matter
should be Male bovine fecal matter LOL
S&W 442/642 in pocket or H&K P7/Tauri 605 IWB= perfection

wnycollector
August 23, 2007, 10:57 AM
I'm in the perfect CCW gun is...whatever you shoot the best and is 100% reliable...camp:) For me it currently happens to be a Mak. Yes it's big and kinda heavy, but I can put 8+1 into the center of mass REAL fast and it's 100% reliable.

During the spring I bought a 1000 round case of wolf fmj. I cleaned the pistol before and after firing the whole case over a 3 month period. ZERO problems. I then did the same thing with 500 rounds of silver bear JHP...again ZERO problems. I carry 9 rounds of silver bear JHP in my mak and dont feel under gunned.

romma
August 23, 2007, 11:27 AM
For me, it is a combination designed for different types of carry. Somedays I have to trade off firepower for less power and better concealment.

armoredman
August 23, 2007, 11:35 AM
Summertime, wintertime, anytime, my CZ PO1 is my current A-list top ranker, for everyday, ordinary activity. Now, if it's Katrina time, I may put on a long rain coat and conceal the AK, as well...

Pistol Toter
August 23, 2007, 11:47 AM
should be Male bovine fecal matter LOL

mavracer
I stand duly corrected.. :D

Lonestar49
August 23, 2007, 11:59 AM

Hmmm, for me, it's really between my first gun, my Beretta Px4 40cal, full size, yet medium length, and thin, or my Sig P232 SL 380, but not the best stopping punch in caliber, and then, my Colt Defender 45.

It all came down to size, length, power, weight for carry, and round count, per gun.

Each have a comfy feel, in point to aim, accuracy, reliability, ccw weight over long periods, and size and carry location that works for each gun, staying well concealed.

LS

mpmarty
August 23, 2007, 12:56 PM
Well, I've been carrying my PT145 for over a year and a half now and with 10 + 1 of the Taurus 185gr solid copper hp ammo it has filled the bill. I recently bought a compact all steel Witness 10mm and tried carrying it. Too dang heavy with a mag full of ammo it felt like it weighed at least three pounds MORE than the PT145. The Witness compact is now in the safe and the PT145 back on duty.:) Is it perfect?:confused: I don't know. I prefer to carry only the top two semi auto calibers, 10mm and 45acp. Will anyone ever make a lighter, smaller 45acp for less than too many dollars? I don't know that either.:banghead:

blue256m
August 23, 2007, 08:14 PM
anyone have an opinion on para's slim hawg or bersa's thunder 380? these are the 2 i am considering at the moment, but i can't decide which. on the one hand you have a 380 that is smaller and doesn't cost as much but on the other you have the bigger gun and bigger 45 calibur thats fairly expensive. All thoughts are appreciated

PX15
August 23, 2007, 08:34 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6811_01.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6907.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6900.jpg

Perfect CCW? Perhaps not, but as close as my wife and I have been able to find..

J. Pomeroy

Big Mike
August 23, 2007, 10:28 PM

No.:)

orionengnr
August 23, 2007, 11:04 PM
Well, in the last three and a half years (since I moved to a Free State) I've spent something akin to the GDP of a Third World nation buying, trying, and selling one after another handgun to find The Perfect CCW. (Or so it seems.:))

Many have come and many have gone, but for the last going-on-two-years, my Kahr PM9 is the constant companion of my walks. Others have seduced me briefly, but none has supplanted the PM9. For me it's the perfect combination of light weight, reliability, accuracy and concealability. It shoots (for me) as well as a full-size 9mm, but fits in my pocket. Amazing.

I'd "rather" carry a 45, and perhaps, with enough work, I'll get there. I carry the PM9's big brother (the P45) in the "winter", but around here, that's maybe three months out of each 12. I'll keep on working on it, but for shorts and t-shirt weather, the PM9 rocks my world.

Mtn_USPc
August 24, 2007, 12:49 AM
"perfect CCW does it exist?"

I've gone through many options and settled on three.
H&K USP compact 9mm
Glock 19 9mm
S&W 340PD .357 / 38 +P

emerson
August 24, 2007, 12:54 AM
Walther PPS?

Autolycus
August 24, 2007, 02:11 AM
Its way to subjectivte for each individual person. I prefer the HK P2000 or P2000sk.

Mikhail Konovalov
August 24, 2007, 02:41 AM
The perfect CCW definately exists...

Problem is it's gotta be chilly to actually conceal it. And by chilly I mean Nuclear freakin' winter.

ugaarguy
August 24, 2007, 03:29 AM
My perfect ccw would be a lightweight sub compact single stack 9mm in SA or DA/SA that can be carried C&L in the pocket.
I don't know if you can pocket a Springfield EMP, but it is a 26 oz. unloaded aluminium frame 1911 style pistol in 9mm.

If you can live with .380 ACP instead of 9mm, and have the money for it, the discontinued Colt Mustang Pocket Lite fits your description.

camsdaddy
August 24, 2007, 08:44 AM
Bama if you get to South Ga I may just have a 3913 you can give a try.

everallm
August 24, 2007, 09:49 AM
Compact, reliable, DA/SA, 10 or 14 round mags, all steel or polymer, 9mm or .40 calibre.

Not a wish list....its my CZ RAMI 2075:D

http://czusa.com/products_handguns.php

Glockensig
August 25, 2007, 12:59 AM
The perfect CCW definately exists...

Problem is it's gotta be chilly to actually conceal it. And by chilly I mean Nuclear freakin' winter.

Now that's funny!!:)

xd45gaper
August 25, 2007, 01:20 AM
well its not perfect has its ups and downs but i carry about 99.9% of the time a S&W 642 Revolver, granted its ONLY 5 shots and ONLY a .38 Special BUT im more about shot placement than having a 2-3lb heavy object on my side with 17 shots :neener:

now all bs aside the only reason i carry the 642 is weight doesnt weigh much carrys nice in my OWB High Noon holster half the time when im carrying i forget i have it. My Ulitimate CCW would be a smith stubbie in .357 with the titanium frame etc i dont know model numbers because its out of my price range right now lol but i do practice and shoot the 642 very well which is some what of a challenge with a compact revolver!

sidebar why does every one and there dog recommend a smith or any other snubbie for women? not saying women are bad shots or cannont handle one but snubbies are not for the novice pistol shooter men or women, they require alot of skill while under pressure, (espically something like SELFDEFENSE which most are recommended for) and shooting shooting a hot load like a +P would make it even harder for a novice to use if not well practiced up using +Ps

pablo45
August 25, 2007, 04:06 AM
Glock Live It Love It Carry It. Glock Perfection!

Nematocyst
August 25, 2007, 04:29 AM
442/642.

IMO, of course.

FireCaptDave
August 25, 2007, 12:00 PM
For me, it would be my Taurus PT-145 if it wasn't currently back at Taurus getting repaired...

Hypnogator
August 25, 2007, 08:23 PM
Take the size, weight, and ergonomics of the Taurus PT-145 and combine it with the action of the Walther P-99. Really wish my 145 was conventional double-action with decocking ability.

Katana8869
August 25, 2007, 09:10 PM
I would probably go back to my Glock 27. Luckily I'm not under such constraints. :D

DAdams
August 25, 2007, 11:12 PM
It may or may not exist but it's fun trying to track the elusive bugger down.
Actually it's like most tools, the right tool for the right job and not a one size fit all solution.

I'm working on trying to figure it out though. ;) Also have a BERSA 380 but I don't consider it a suitable pocket carry. Okay for OWB.

http://gunblast.com/SW-340MP.htm

Jeff Quinns, GunBlast recent review of the M&P 340.

Shown, 642, 340 and PM9. I'm evaluating the next buy now.
Here are mine so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/P7180001.jpg

PX15 Iv'e just gotta pick up a Seecamp one of these days.

Nematocyst
August 26, 2007, 12:41 AM
Shown, 642, 340 and PM9.Of course,
we note which one wears a bullet halo,
suggestive of "favorite". <ahem>

:rolleyes:

:D

;)

kashton
August 26, 2007, 01:03 AM
Glock 27... it fits in my pocket like a S&W 642 and conceals IWB in my VMII if I wish. 10 rounds of .40 cal... perfect CCW for me

Floppy_D
August 26, 2007, 01:46 AM
Subjective question. For me, the 229 in 40sw is "perfect"; I can carry it comfortably, and can shoot it often enough to maintain proficiency. If I had to tuck my shirt in more often, it would change my definition of perfection. :)

Wilson 17&26
August 26, 2007, 01:23 PM
Under $250 in the Dallas TX area for blued PF-9. About an additional $40 for factory hard chrome, if you can find one.
http://www.wilson-genealogy.com/pics/HC%20PF-9s.gif

chaim
August 26, 2007, 02:22 PM
For IWB (out of what I own):
-Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro
-S&W SW1911SC
-SIG 229 in .40S&W
-S&W 65LS (3", K-frame, .357mag)
-Taurus 85CH

I'm not sure I could pick just one since I like them all so much (maybe if I lived in a CCW state and carried everyday, not just when out of state, it may be easier but I often carry IWB at home so maybe not). All are reliable, all are accurate, all are in more than servicible defensive calibers, all are reasonably narrow for IWB (though the K-frame and 229 are pushing it a little). If I lived where I could carry all day every day, I could see dropping the 229 and K-frame from my list (or moving to belt carry, which would mean only winter carry of those guns) due to the width. If I wasn't going to carry something else in my pocket I might drop the revolvers due to capacity, but then revolver simplicity of use and reliability are big advantages. I don't own one, but I'd like to try the single stack SIG 239 for this use too- due to being more trim, it may replace the 229 when I do.

For pocket carry:
-S&W 442 (if your pockets are big enough, mine are)
-Kahr PM9 (I don't have it yet, but I want one bad for this use- love my best friend's PM9)
-Kel-tec P32. I don't have one, but I've shot one. Great combination of size and controllability. Caliber is marginal, but this would just be a backup gun anyway.

lanternlad1
August 27, 2007, 06:09 PM
I've nearly gone broke trying to answer this question. How many guns have I gone through? Lets's see...

Kel-Tec P11 (sold it - worked well, but bulky)
Kel-Tec P3AT (twice - sold both of them - one worked, one didn't)
Cobra Patriot .45 (loved it but not reliable-sold it)
Bersa Thunder 380 CC (loved it but sold it to buy a Saiga AK - which I love more, but can't carry)
CZ PO-1 (still have, but don't carry - too heavy. although a great gun, it sits forlornly in the safe)
Ruger Sp101 357 mag (love it but still too heavy - but gets some holster time)
Kel-Tec PF-9 (don't like it, but wife likes it for carry-fits well in her purse, she says - carries well for me - shooting it SUCKS, VERY snappy recoil)
Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 w/ CTC lasergrips. (Don't like shooting it, but not bad for carry. Would sell it in a minute, but wife likes it too.)

Still looking for that perfect piece. I am thinking hard about the S&W 340 M&P. Almost got a S&W 340PD once, but saw too many kaboom pics and didn't trust it.

My search continues...

Katana8869
August 28, 2007, 12:05 AM
I've nearly gone broke trying to answer this question.

Boy can I relate to that statement! I know that the original question was which ONE handgun would it be, but for me it has finally worked it's way down to three.

1. S&W 1911PD Commander
2. Glock 26
3. Glock 19 (I can't give it up! :D)

As I said before, if I had to chose only one, the G27 is one hell of a good do-it-all pistol.

However, the above 3 keep me happy and I still play with my XD45C on the side, so I guess I'm just destined to be a pistol polygamist. :neener::D

The_Shootist
August 28, 2007, 12:23 AM
The one that goes BANG all the time!

IWB - Glock 19

Pocket - Taurus 85 (or a similiar J frame sized .38 spl snubby)

19-3Ben
August 28, 2007, 12:45 AM
The perfect CCW? Hell yeah it does. A Ruger SP101 3" loaded with a .357 mag from Buffalo Bore, and tuned by a good gun smith.

Srigs
August 28, 2007, 01:04 AM
Varies on the day of the week for me. One gun that is an "Always gun" is my Kel-tec P32 in a pocket holster.

I don't do safeties on my carry guns! Just pull, point and pull the trigger. ;)

innerpiece
August 28, 2007, 01:40 AM
Nothin PERFECT for everyone.. but whats perfect for me, considering it be concealable all year round..
the Taurus PT111ssp MilPro.
If it must be any more concealable, Kahr CW9.

my two favorite compact pistols.

both are perfect for each of their puroses, for me.

ip.

12-34hom
August 28, 2007, 07:50 PM
For me, 1911 style auto - goverment model - 10mm.

12-34hom

Gunz
August 28, 2007, 08:17 PM
My vote is still for a P45, with 230gr Golden Sabers, and lots of lube on the barrel hood and side.

It never ceases to amaze me with its weight, accuracy, and thin slide.

The only time I prefer something over my P45 as an always gun is my Steyr M9A1.

If you enjoyed reading about "perfect CCW does it exist?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!