New M&P .40SW

PDA

cat_IT_guy
August 23, 2007, 12:20 AM
I just purchased an M&P in .40SW from Gander Mountain for $479. Anyone else have one? What do you think of them? How did I do price wise (it was kindof spur of the moment, I was gonna get a 1911, but couldnt afford the ones I wanted).

If you enjoyed reading about "New M&P .40SW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcellis
August 23, 2007, 09:04 AM
I've been quite happy with my M&P compact - quality fit/finish, great ergonomics and easy to be accurate with it. Trigger is quite nice. The price looks good for my area: north central Kansas.

A few people have had problems with aggressive rust - mine hasn't had that problem. But S&W will stand behind it, so that's not a big worry (other than having to do without it while it's "visiting home".)

Odds are, you'll be more than happy with it.

tydephan
August 23, 2007, 10:38 AM
The M&P has gotten a lot of feedback around here lately. Use the search function and you'll find a wealth of information.

I own the M&P40 and both the full size and compact version in 9mm. Great pistols, the M&Ps are.

$479 is a good price on the M&P. I'm surprised that Gander was selling them that cheap. They were on sale recently in my area for $399 ($432 with tax). Buds Gun Shop (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/38995) has them on sale right now for $439 shipped, but that wouldn't be a good deal after you pay an FFL transfer fee of $25+.

So yeah, you did good. Now go shoot it and have fun!

Anna's Dad
August 23, 2007, 11:29 AM
I really like my 9mm and, in fact, just bought a second one!

I paid $399 for both of them + shipping + transfer fee. Basically $445 total. Buying local for $479 seems like a pretty good deal.

gtmtnbiker98
August 23, 2007, 02:16 PM
Not a bad price, especially at Gander Mountain! You made a good choice, I own both the 9 and .40 full-size and love them dearly. They have become my favorite pistols (even over my Glocks and Sigs).

tydephan
August 23, 2007, 02:24 PM
They have become my favorite pistols (even over my Glocks and Sigs).

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't tell anybody...but...

That makes two of us.

:D

The Lone Haranguer
August 23, 2007, 04:16 PM
Why are we whispering?

Me three.

Docgmt
August 23, 2007, 04:35 PM
I got the full size .40 in May and it is the best pistol I own. It has about 750 rounds through it now without an issue. After the next rifle purchase I am going to get the compact version for everyday carry. I have been using the Winchester white box for targets and it has worked great.

.357 magnum
August 23, 2007, 09:41 PM
You will enjoy the MP .40 cal. Very good shooter, will digest anything you feed into it. Easy to field strip and clean. I got mine for 499, which leads me to believe it was a little on the high side:confused:.The grip is awesome! I am very comfortable with this particular grip. I will probably get the .45 version when they increase the mag capacity to 14. When I get my next 9mm I plan on it being a SW-MP. Get out there an enjoy your MP, you will not regret it.:)

The Best to You and Yours!

Frank

PS-- Has anyone else experienced that definite Ping noise when you shoot it? It sounds and feels like the spring?

tydephan
August 23, 2007, 10:24 PM
Why are we whispering?

I don't want hurt feelings from my Glocks and Sigs. :p

Mac45
August 24, 2007, 12:50 AM
Picked up one this spring and I like it a lot.
I've been wanting a .40 for quite a while now, and the M&P fit my hand the best.

BsChoy
August 24, 2007, 05:51 AM
Anyone know if they are going to release an M&P compact 45?

texagun
August 24, 2007, 09:01 AM
They are very nice guns. I have the MP40 and it has been trouble free. You can find lots of information on them at:

www.mp-pistol.com

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/w5lx/MP40leftside.jpg

briang2ad
August 24, 2007, 12:12 PM
Glocks, Steyrs, XDs, and Walthers?

They do look and feel pretty good, but I think the SW 99 design was penty good, and looked even better.

I also here on the SW MP forum of guys having magazine drop problems.

FieroCDSP
August 24, 2007, 06:28 PM
Regarding triggers, the consensus is that it's not horrible, but it is a bit on the long side. Dan Burwell in PA does several variety of trigger and customizing jobs on it and comes highly recommended as an excellent smith on the M&P. Check him out at http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/

Also, as an new M&P owner, feel free to join http://mp-pistol.com/...Arguably the best resource for all things M&P.

If you're not in for the trigger job right now, get a pack of snap caps and dry fire the thing a few hundred times to work the grit out of it. When you go to the range, you'll find it to be one fine-shootin 40cal.

Don't sweat the mag-drop probs on the full-sized. I've had mine almost a year and had no drops at all. Even the complaints on the compacts seem to be drying up.

skwab
August 24, 2007, 07:23 PM
I've had my MP .40 for a few months now and I like it - got it for 399 at a gun show NIB so I certainly can't complain! Have put a few hundred rounds through it without a single hiccup - I'm not as accurate with it yet as I am with my 92FS, but the fun of course is working on it!

enjoy - it's a great gun even if you don't factor in the relatively low price.

Srigs
August 25, 2007, 12:31 AM
Congrats on your new MP40. I like my 40c.

cat_IT_guy
August 26, 2007, 05:25 PM
I shot 150 rounds through my new gun without a hitch. It functioned flawlessly and proved to be more accurate than I am (no surprise there).

The best part of the trip though wasnt my gun, but a fellow member brought his young grandson (maybe 7 or 8 ). The little guy was initially pretty scared of my .40 (his grandfather just brought a .22). However, as we kept shooting, he started watching me break clays with it, and by the end of the day he was giggling and asking for more. It really made my day :)

cwp3420
August 26, 2007, 11:21 PM
I work in the hunting department at Sportsman's Warehouse. We sell some of the S&W MP pistol models, but one thing that turns off a lot of shoppers on this pistol is the magazine disconnect. If the magazine is out of the pistol, it will not fire. In my opinion, that is a fatal flaw with this pistol. I don't know if this is a new thing Smith is doing, or if it has always been that way with the M&P. Up until now, I thought only pistols like the .22 LR and such had the disconnects. Where I live, the police department tested new pistols for duty use and turned down the Smiths because of the disconnect. They ended up going with Glock. I would like to know from owners if their's has a disconnect or not. Just curious, I guess. Thanks!

gudel
August 26, 2007, 11:28 PM
You can buy M&P without a mag disconnect. This shouldn't be an issue even worth mentioning.

M&P 45 here without mag disconnect.

Coronach
August 27, 2007, 12:59 AM
Where I live, the police department tested new pistols for duty use and turned down the Smiths because of the disconnect.I highly doubt this is true. Here are several reasons why:

1. Most agencies adore the disconnect. And, even if they don't...

2. You can buy an M&P without a mag disconnect.

3. Even if they didn't know you could get it without the disconnect, I'm reasonably certain that S&W would mention the possibility to them.

Mike :rolleyes:

nwilliams
August 27, 2007, 01:44 AM
Great price!

All the stores in my area have them but they are all priced well over $500, even J&G is selling their fullsize .40's for about $550.

I got mine for $513+ tax but it was the kit with the holster, three mags and mag pouch, which is still a pretty good deal I think.

You're going to love the gun, I love mine:o

I'd consider getting the M&P.45 if I actually had some money:banghead:

MassMark
August 27, 2007, 09:06 AM
I have much trigger time with an M&P .40 and I love it. If I were in the market for another .40, my Glock 22 would be gone, (as much as I like it). Everything about the M&P just feels right in my hand. I'm holding out for the M&P .45ACP...Can't wait. Enjoy your pistol and congrats!

Babalouie
August 27, 2007, 09:55 AM
The M&P is a fantastic gun! My son has shot it for the last year in uspsa Production class. We sent it out for a Burwell trigger job and I have to say its absolutely amazing. One word of caution though: Do not get it bead blasted...the quality of stainless is terrible and it rusted within days. We ended up getting the slide hard chromed. Its looks great. Here's a pic of my son taking the Gold metal, Junior Production Class at the Florida Sunshine State Games with the M&P:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c255/Sven126/2SunshineState07TimStg1.jpg

SWMAN
August 27, 2007, 11:23 AM
All the stores in my area have them but they are all priced well over $500, even J&G is selling their fullsize .40's for about $550.

Here they sell for full retail price, that's why I bought via Internet at $400.00.

littlegator
August 28, 2007, 07:19 PM
I've got the 9mm, no internal lock, no mag disconnect safety. Got mine locally in Vegas for $490. DAO trigger break takes some work, but another 1000 rounds oughta take care of it. Although the back strap of the grip is comfy-cozy, I wish they had a little more texture to them - esp. when hands start to perspire. Also, if they were going to work on the back of the grip, why not contour the front? I still like it, so no big deal. Zero problems with over 500 rounds so far. Easy to maintain. Fun to shoot.

W.E.G.
August 28, 2007, 11:30 PM
Does the version without the mag-disconnect "safety" have an ugly warning label (a-la-Ruger) stamped on the side of the gun?

boomstik45
August 29, 2007, 01:35 AM
Yeah, but it's not all that bad. The gun itself is better looking than any Ruger semi-auto anyway, in my opinion.

Coronach
August 29, 2007, 04:15 AM
Yeah, under the ejection port it will say something like:

CAUTION: GUN CAN FIRE WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED

or somesuch. It's not as bad as the Ruger billboard. DO a search for M&P in this forum, and look at the links with pictures. You'll find one eventually.

Mike

W.E.G.
August 29, 2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah, under the ejection port it will say something like:

CAUTION: GUN CAN FIRE WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED

:mad: :uhoh: :barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "New M&P .40SW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!