Anyone shooting the Sig Mosquito 22LR ?

PDA

SX1guy
August 23, 2007, 03:05 PM
I am thinking about buying the SigArms Mosquito 22LR does anyone have any comments on this little handgun, I am very interested in accuracy, I shoot targets a lot...

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shooting the Sig Mosquito 22LR ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rxraptor02
August 23, 2007, 03:56 PM
There are a lot of posts on this forum and others about the Mosquito. I do not have one, however my brother does. he loves his. He as tried different types of ammo and sticks with CCI min-mags. They function very well in the gun. After about 120 rouds he starts to get jams and the gun needs a good cleaning. I have shot it a few times and did not have any issues with the CCI ammo or any FTF's.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=281455&highlight=Mosquito

IMO: based on what how my brothers gun has functioned.
I think it is a nice pistol except for the fact he can only shoot about 100~150 rounds before it starts to jam. When I decide to buy a .22lr semi-auto-plinker(I already have a .22lr revolver) I want one that can go a lot longer than 150 rouds before jams at a range day.

Silvanus
August 23, 2007, 04:02 PM
I love mine. It's an awsome little gun. 100% reliable so far. Some people really don't get the "2 different springs" thing. One for standard and one for hot (CCI Stinger and such) ammo. I usually shoot about 200-300 rounds without cleaning. It gets REALLY dirty. But it hasn't jammed on me, yet though. I primarily shoot standard velocity Fiocchi ammo and CCI mini-mags.

But it's not what I'd call a "target gun". It's accurate enough for me up to 15 meters.

http://i22.servimg.com/u/f22/11/50/35/28/sigmos10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=5&u=11503528)

BlisteringSilence
August 23, 2007, 05:09 PM
I have one, and love it. It's not terribly accurate, but it IS fun to shoot. This is not a target pistol. This is a shooting the breeze pistol. And for that, it's awesome.

Mine, like all of them, is finiky with ammo. She like Mini-Mags, Thunderbolts, and Federal bricks. She's not a fan of others. But, she is a blast to shoot, and a pleasant change from my 229.

When you say you are very interested in accuracy, how interested are you? If you're looking to shoot out the x at 25 yards, this is not the pistol for you.

Walkalong
August 23, 2007, 05:39 PM
I have one, and love it. It's not terribly accurate, but it IS fun to shoot.
I bought one and by george I expected a Sig to be accurate! It wasn't so I sold it and bought a Sig Trailside. Now I have an accurate .22. The Mosquito is a cool little gun though.

DogBonz
August 23, 2007, 05:45 PM
what type of groups were you guys shooting?

BlisteringSilence
August 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
I can shoot a solid 4" 10-round group at 25 yards. I have the short barrel, though.

SX1guy
August 23, 2007, 06:48 PM
I would be shooting 15yds and in, I would like 1" groups, is that possible with the Mosquito...? also how is the Walther P22 for the same 15 yd shooting...?

How about the Mosquito with the 5" barrel...?

I hear that Sig no longer sells the trailside...?

Thanks to everyone for their great info.

rj112275
August 23, 2007, 06:50 PM
had one. didn't care for it as a target gun. it was more picky than my ruger slabside that eats everything. nice gun, just not a fun .22 for me.

epoch
August 23, 2007, 07:21 PM
I don't find the gun particularly accurate. I have mostly shot the ruger mk 2 in that caliber, which I owned before I got my 9mm.

The mosquito is actually my wife's gun but I have shot maybe 300 rounds from it. The version I have is the mosquito sport so it is supposedly "accurized".

I can only get about a 4" group and 15 yards. I'm not saying it's impossible to shoot a 1" group at 15 yards, but I sure can't. Maybe its the sights, I don't know.

I can shot a lot better with my s&w 952, like a 2" group on average at 15 yards, sometimes better. I wish she had decided to get the trailside as well, but it wasn't "cool" looking according to her. She likes the gun, I really don't care for it.

As far as reliability, we only shoot the mini-mags and they are totally jam free, we usually shoot about 2-3 hundred rounds per outing and it rarely, rarely jams.

I don't belive this gun, even the sport version, is nearly as accurate as a ruger .22 or a buckmark... So I would say it is a bad choice for a .22 target pistol.

I do think its a good choice if you just like to hit the target somewhere and enjoy shooting a "cool" .22 that looks and feels like a 9mm+ size gun.

hope that helps some,
epoch

SX1guy
August 23, 2007, 08:15 PM
I do think its a good choice if you just like to hit the target somewhere and enjoy shooting a "cool" .22 that looks and feels like a 9mm+ size gun.

That is one of the reasons I want to go there....the Mosquito and the P22 both have the look and feel of my 9MM's...sort of.

I have done the Ruger MKll thing ( a great target 22) and no longer find it enjoyable...I like the challenge of a 1" group at 15yds open sights...I just don't which one yet the Walther P22 or the Sig Mosquito...
I don't like the talk of picky ammo requirements for the Mosquito...

perpster
August 23, 2007, 09:04 PM
How does the Mosquito compare to the Beretta Neos?

n00bdave
August 23, 2007, 09:35 PM
My Mosquito functions great, even beyond 200 rounds without cleaning, as long as I'm shooting CCI mini-mags. It does not function with the bulk Winchester hollow points I shoot in my Ruger single-six.

It is a fun little .22, but it does seem to have a few quirks.

bamabluesman
August 24, 2007, 01:26 AM
CZ 75 and a cadet conversion kit.

BlisteringSilence
August 24, 2007, 01:31 AM
How does the Mosquito compare to the Beretta Neos?

I'll tell you tomorrow afternoon. I've had the mosquito for a year or so now, love it, and just picked up a Neo DLX in 6". I'm going to the range, I'll bring you some targets.

bannockburn
August 24, 2007, 10:44 AM
I bought a Walther P22 for my son a few years ago; he also liked the looks and feel of it. I did not; very small, almost too small for me and I have relatively small hands to begin with. It also felt rather unsubstanial, as though they made it to reach a certain price to cost point rather than from more sturdier, (and more expensive) materials. It gets dirty very quickly and is ammo sensitive. I don't know about the Mosquito but I think I would consider that over the P22 as a plinker. Besides, the real reason I got him the P22 was so I could get my Beretta Model 70S back from him; he shot it so well, I was worried he was going to ask me if he could keep it.

atblis
August 24, 2007, 10:51 AM
Cast Zinc anybody?

bannockburn
August 24, 2007, 01:29 PM
I don't know if there are different types of cast zinc, but I had an Iver Johnson .22 that was a copy of or built by Erma Werke, that was primarily zinc in it's construction. A little smaller than a PPK; it was nicely finished, never had any functioning issues, and was a decent plinker. I would definitely choose it over the P22.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shooting the Sig Mosquito 22LR ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!