S&W M&P autoloaders - any police/sheriff agencies using it

PDA

W.E.G.
August 23, 2007, 08:05 PM
anybody know?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W M&P autoloaders - any police/sheriff agencies using it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Don Worsham
August 23, 2007, 08:20 PM
North Carolina Department of Correction Converts to Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/handguns/press-releases/135598

ugaarguy
August 23, 2007, 08:35 PM
I think Cincinatti PD are using M&Ps.

Coronach
August 23, 2007, 08:43 PM
Cincy PD uses M&P9s, Columbus PD uses M&P40s

W.E.G.
August 23, 2007, 08:45 PM
On a related question, what was their previous weapon?

Coronach
August 23, 2007, 08:55 PM
Cincy? No idea. Columbus used to use the 4506.

DAdams
August 23, 2007, 09:06 PM
Smith & Wesson wins law enforcement contract for M&P45 Pistols
Briefing.com
Posted: 2007-08-01 11:31:46
Co announces that it has received an order for the their M&P45 pistol from the Hartford, Connecticut Police Department. The order calls for a total of 500 M&P45 pistols chambered in .45 ACP. An M&P45 will be issued to each officer in the department to replace early-model Smith & Wesson pistols that previously served as Hartford PD's primary duty firearm.

08/01/2007 11:21 EST

New Hampshire State Police and Highway Patrol Convert to Smith & Wesson M&P45
PR NEWSWIRE
Posted: 2007-08-20 08:30:05
********************************************************************************************
"In anticipation of the U.S. military shifting from 9-millimeter pistols to .45 caliber ones (both numbers are barrel diameters; the latter is in inches and equals about 11.4 mm), Smith & Wesson began making .45 caliber military-style pistols in January.

Cops are buying, too. Smith & Wesson used to dominate the law-enforcement market, but today controls just 10% of it. Last fiscal year, though, law-enforcement sales jumped 126%. The company says 80% of the departments it targeted have placed orders for new products. More than 200 departments have committed to using its new military/police handguns, while 150 are testing them."

Springfield, Mass.-based Smith & Wesson is already the U.S. sales leader in revolvers and No. 3 in pistols (pistols have a fixed firing chamber, while revolvers use a rotating cylinder of chambers). And the company is still taking share; its pistol sales jumped 60% last year. In March 2006 Smith & Wesson launched "tactical," or military-style, rifles and last month it began selling shotguns. Hunting rifles are next, thanks in part to the company's recent purchase of Rochester, N.H.-based Thomson/Center arms. Initial response to the new products has been promising. The company captured a quick 11% of the tactical rifle market. Analysts say the new products are transforming Smith & Wesson into a military and police supplier rather than just a consumer gun maker.

Full Article:

http://finance.aol.com/quotes/smith-and-wesson-holding-corporation/swhc/nas

That reminds me I need to purchase more SWHC stock while it is down.

mbott
August 23, 2007, 09:09 PM
Cincy? No idea. Columbus used to use the 4506.

Cincy was also using S&Ws at the time, but I'm not sure what model.

--
Mike

ccmdfd
August 23, 2007, 09:32 PM
In addition to New Hampshire SPD going to the M&P .45, I've read that the New Mexico SPD will be getting the M&P .357.

CMPD in Charlotte is reportedly going to the M&P .40.

cc

DAdams
August 24, 2007, 01:47 PM
More than 200 departments have committed to using its new military/police handguns, while 150 are testing them."

saltydog452
August 24, 2007, 03:07 PM
I guess that'd indicate that S&W fixed the accidentral magazine release. Does anyone know what the 'fix' was?...new mag release?

Thanks,

salty.

Anna's Dad
August 24, 2007, 05:09 PM
I think the mag release problem was really only impacting the compact version of the gun. There might have been isolated reports on the full size but I think its primarily the compact. Many compact owers have also reported no such problem.

I would assume that PDs would be issued the full size and that it would never have been an issue.

texagun
August 24, 2007, 05:57 PM
A lot of agencies are now using them. There is a whole thread on the subject here:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=205

alex_trebek
August 24, 2007, 06:23 PM
My local police department switched to the M&P 40 about a year ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W M&P autoloaders - any police/sheriff agencies using it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!