NRA Marksmanship Qualification Levels?

PDA

JohnKSa
July 5, 2003, 01:12 AM
Does anyone here hold an NRA Marksmanship Qualification Award?

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA Marksmanship Qualification Levels?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ian
July 5, 2003, 01:29 AM
I've got Pro-Marksman in smallbore pistol right now. I'm working my way up through the levels, but I can only do it once a week and only during the school year (when our NRA guy is around to certify the targets).

Shooter 2.5
July 5, 2003, 03:22 PM
I became a Pro-Marksman when I was eleven with a .22 rifle. I still have the targets somewhere.

I'm a High Power Rifle Expert. I'm a AA in .22 silhouette Pistol. I'm an A in .22 Silouette Rifle.

I still don't know how to vote in the polls.

JohnKSa
July 5, 2003, 09:37 PM
There's a white dot to the left of each poll choice. Click the dot corresponding to your choice and it will turn black. Then click the "vote" button at the bottom of the list of choices.

Moparmike
July 5, 2003, 10:14 PM
You have to be logged in to vote. If you arent logged in, it will ask you to log in and then hit a brick wall, not knowing where to go and saying something about a bad thread or something.

I have never heard of this, and I hope to get a firearm so I might do so. However, I am seriously considering air conditioning for my car at this point, which is $400 alone.

J Miller
July 5, 2003, 11:11 PM
Well, I didn't put a little black dot in the choice, because there wasn't a choice I liked..
Anyway, I was certified with .22 rifles when I was in my teens. Somewhere I still have the cirtificates and medals. But I'm sure that doesn't count now. See what I mean, no choice that matches.

Hopefully I will eventually get back into things, then we'll see if I can still shoot.

JohnKSa
July 5, 2003, 11:20 PM
It CAN be a self-administered program for the most part although at the top level there are witness requirements. However, I suspect that most of the time it is administered at all levels by a club, organization such as BSA or 4H, or by a local instructor.

My company gun club is going to start this program and I wondered if there were many gun owners/shooters who had done any work in this area.

A typical discipline requires something like 1,000 shots fired for record, and at the higher levels can be quite challenging.

For example, assuming that you have progressed through the lower levels of the International Air Rifle Program, through the Expert Qualification, the final step--qualifying as Distinguished Expert--will require 400 to 600 rounds if you never have to reshoot any strings. Those rounds are broken into 40 or 60 shot strings each of which must have a minimum score of 89%. And, at the DE level, shooting must be witnessed by an NRA member, or NRA certified instructor.

Here's the link that explains the program.

There is no mention of a qualification expiring once it has been achieved.

www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/index.asp

I'm going to see how far I can get on the International Air Rifle since I have a 10 meter range at home.

Also, Lisa has decided she's going to start on the Handgun Qualificaton Program and I'll probably shoot along with her just for fun.

Archie
July 6, 2003, 12:28 AM
I'm a marksman on the brink of being a sharpshooter. This is for conventional (bullseye) pistol shooting.

Shooting PPC, I'm a sporatic Sharpshooter.

md2lgyk
July 7, 2003, 12:05 PM
Never heard of these awards, but I hold an NRA Expert classification for conventional pistol.

Steve Smith
July 7, 2003, 12:29 PM
The NRA Marksmanship Qualification levels are different from NRA Competitive Classification levels.

Nathaniel Firethorn
July 7, 2003, 12:30 PM
I've got a Sharpshooter in bullseye, but I think that I violated some of the rules while doing it. (Either did it in a Weaver stance or used B-3 targets rather than B-2s, I forget.) The fellow who was running the quals let me keep it, even after I told him. Now working on making it right.

The one-hand rule for bullseye, BTW, makes no sense to me. Why not let people stand however they want?

- pdmoderator

themic
July 7, 2003, 01:51 PM
marksman 1st class, 22 rifle, 50 ft, when i was a WEE little one, at summer camp (indeed, at a CATHOLIC summer camp. we did archery too.)

thought about doing it again, with pistol, but haven't yet. need to get me a 10/22 or something or maybe a nice 6" 38sp revolver.

Cosmoline
July 7, 2003, 02:17 PM
Where? How? I shoot at ranges in Alaska all the time, and I've never seen anything about this.

Shooter 2.5
July 7, 2003, 02:31 PM
John and Mike,

Thanks for the instruction. I figured it out after I logged in. Somehow, I don't stay logged in on this website like I do on Free Republic. On FR, I can't remember the last time I had to log in.

FredHunter
February 3, 2011, 09:11 PM
Howdy folks,

My wife and I are going to start qualifying for some of the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Programs. (she thinks she is going to do better than me......lol)

We will be starting with the Pistol Qualification and part of the rules are to use specific targets.

I have found only one source for the AP-1 and AP-2 targets but I was wondering if you know where I may find them somewhere else and cheaper. The site I found is www.pistoleer.com.

I emailed them today to see if they give NRA Instructor discounts. We'll have to wait and see what they say tomorrow.

Thanks,
Fred

jfh
February 3, 2011, 10:22 PM
check Brownell's--they might be less expensive if you can set up a wholesale account.

Jim H.

Jon Coppenbarger
February 4, 2011, 12:11 AM
cool program and also very cool to bring back a thread from over 7 years ago.

FredHunter
February 6, 2011, 01:54 PM
What type of guns are you using for the Marksmanship Qualifications?

JohnKSa
February 11, 2011, 10:06 PM
Different guns for different disciplines. The program material spells out firearm restrictions.

Jim Watson
February 11, 2011, 10:42 PM
F-T/R Long Range - Sharpshooter
BPCR MS - AA (I don't know why they use a separate classification.)
PPC - Expert (Way back when.)

zxcvbob
February 11, 2011, 11:01 PM
Expert with a .22 pistol, and Sharpshooter with 8 bars with a centerfire pistol (50' Bullseye.) I *might* get to Expert someday with centerfire but that's not looking hopeful. I doubt that I'll ever get to D.E. with anything.

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA Marksmanship Qualification Levels?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!