Titan Tiger .38 special

PDA

KiltedClaymore
August 24, 2007, 01:37 AM
are these guns any good? the one im looking at has the 4 inch barrel and is used, but in good condition. its $150, is this a deal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Titan Tiger .38 special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
August 24, 2007, 01:55 AM
It's only a good deal for who ever is selling it! Pay another 30 to 50 and buy a decent S&W

KiltedClaymore
August 24, 2007, 01:59 AM
hmmm. i WAS gonna buy a model 10, but J&G dont list as having any. im gonna call and see though. but you seem to not like the titan tiger, any reason?

Loucks
August 24, 2007, 12:12 PM
You often get what you pay for when it comes to handguns. The trade-in S&W revolvers are a notable exception.

foghornl
August 24, 2007, 12:25 PM
IIRC, the "Titan Tiger" was one of a line that came into the USA via F.I.E. of Florida.

F irearms
I mport
E xport

Not sure who actually made them, though.

Harry Paget Flashman
August 24, 2007, 03:39 PM
For $149.99 you can get a new Armscor Model 200 .38 Spcl revolver with a 4" barrel at Centerfire Systems. I bought one and am very happy with it. You can't go wrong with a used S&W Model 10 for a few dollars more either.

KiltedClaymore
August 25, 2007, 02:15 PM
i have heard the frame is made of aluminum. is it true?

Onmilo
August 25, 2007, 04:46 PM
Weihrauch of Germany made the FIE Titan Tiger revolvers.
They also imported the line through European American Armory for a time and may still.
While they are a fairly inexpensive line, the frames are made of investment cast steel.
The guns are not in the same league quality wise as Smith and Wesson but they are of decent construction and five steps above even cheaper revolvers such as the RG line.

$150.00 would be a fair value for one in excellent or like new condition with the original box and accessories/brochures.
$110-$125.00 without the goodies.

KiltedClaymore
August 25, 2007, 06:48 PM
the one im looking at is like new. no goodies as far as i know.

GRIZ22
August 26, 2007, 02:08 AM
The only Titan I ever handled was taken off a BG. I never fired it but from my examination of it I suggest almost anything else. If for no other reason the trigger was so bad it would preclude any sort of accuracy. The $50-100 more you would spend for a used S&W, Ruger, or Taurus would be money well spent.

KiltedClaymore
August 26, 2007, 02:16 AM
one problem. i dont have an extra $100 on hand. i wont for along time. its use is for a snake gun. the .22 leaves them still moving when shot thru the head. makes me nervous.

knockonit
August 26, 2007, 12:08 PM
I have one I picked up used, after quite a few rounds they end up with a timing issue, it appears to be random, i keep it in my desk drawer at home
You can pick up a S & W at J & G used for about 170.00 plus the lesbian fees.
(state sales tax). I have several and they are very nice shooters.
good luck
rj

PaulBk
August 26, 2007, 12:14 PM
No +p ammo. Use std pressure stuff per the owner's manual.

-paul

armoredman
August 26, 2007, 12:19 PM
Look around the gunshops - somewhere is a worn finish older Smith Model 10for the same money...that will last forever.

GRIZ22
August 26, 2007, 12:24 PM
one problem. i dont have an extra $100 on hand. i wont for along time. its use is for a snake gun. the .22 leaves them still moving when shot thru the head. makes me nervous.

I'd stick with the 22 then and shoot them several times. If you buy the Titan you'll be spending $150 for an inferior revolver. If you sell it you might get $50 for it. If you spend the $200-250 for a used S&W, Ruger, or Taurus you'll get most if not all of your money back if you sell. The Titan is too much of a gamble for reliabilty and durability.

Snake Eyes
August 26, 2007, 12:37 PM
.22 leaves them still moving when shot thru the head. makes me nervous.

Ah...Um...Snakes, like chickens, have a tendancy to keep moving after they're dead. Larger calibers aren't going to stop this.

Jorg Nysgerrig
August 26, 2007, 12:47 PM
Ah...Um...Snakes, like chickens, have a tendancy to keep moving after they're dead. Larger calibers aren't going to stop this.

The aptly named Snake Eyes is correct. Doesn't really matter if you chop their heads off with a shovel, blow them in half with shotgun or run them over with tracked vehicle. Some snakes will just keep flopping around for a bit.

MatthewVanitas
August 26, 2007, 12:52 PM
Their inventory list is down, but shoot an email to:

http://www.vivasandson.com/

They usually stock tons of police trade-in S&W revos for as low as the mid $100s. Heard good things about them overall.

fixyurgun
August 26, 2007, 12:59 PM
Having killed rattlesnakes to sell their hides (years ago) I've discovered that the cci shotshells stop the postmortem movement faster than most methods. But, keep in mind that a dead rattler can still bite you.
the titan tiger in good condtion should handle shotshell with no problem. As the previous poster said avoid +Ps. jim

KiltedClaymore
August 26, 2007, 09:00 PM

i know this. a .38 will cause the head to be seperated from the body.

If you enjoyed reading about "Titan Tiger .38 special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!