what would happen if............?

PDA

capitolpeak
August 24, 2007, 09:51 PM
What if you were to fire an auto with the back of the slide up against a solid surface(i.e. a dangerouse animal or person on top of you and both ends of the gun are tight against you and it) and fired it. Would it simply jamb due to not being able to cycle or would something inside give way and blow up? just wondering........

If you enjoyed reading about "what would happen if............?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gravis86
August 24, 2007, 09:59 PM
I'm assuming it would work just like a revolver. The gun would fire just fine, it just would not cycle. And you'd probably have a bruise if the back of the gun was against your body.

kingpin008
August 24, 2007, 10:46 PM
Exactly. You'd essentially have a single-shot autoloader unless you were able to clear the spent case and continue.

cdrt
August 24, 2007, 10:46 PM
I fired my HS Victor one time with my thumb against the back of the slide. All it did was go off and not cycle. I'm sure it would have been a little more interesting if it had been a larger caliber pistol, but the result would have been the same.

esq_stu
August 24, 2007, 10:49 PM
I took a friend to the range and couldn't convince him to get his thumb of the back of the slide on my Glock 19 until he fired the gun and found out 1) the gun wouldn't cycle, and 2) he got a very sore thumb. That's it.

Acera
August 24, 2007, 11:32 PM
Don't worry it will not blow up. I fire my suppressed Ruger MkII that way to keep it even quieter. You don't hear the action cycling and the casing hitting the floor. Just a bump on the thumb.

capitolpeak
August 24, 2007, 11:53 PM
even in a .45 acp? seems like theres alot of power in that slide coming back and it could injur you. maybe im overestimating it

Walter
August 25, 2007, 12:33 AM
I fired an old Astra Constable .380 once with my thumb sticking
up behind the slide. The slide pushed my thumb down and sliced
it open down to the bone.:eek:

Hurt like H:evil:!!

Once was all it took.

Walter

Kevin108
August 25, 2007, 10:42 AM
There's a difference between holding the slide tightly forward and letting it get some rearward momentum before you try to "catch" it.

I've seen a couple videos demonstrating this on another forum. I can't find them but I've PMed the guy that posted them so I should have something later.

Anna's Dad
August 25, 2007, 11:01 AM
I accidentally fired my Ruger P345 with my thumb partly blocking the slide.
Granted, it wasn't itentional so I wasn't actually pushing against the slide.

Anyway, the pistol fired just fine and cycled just fine. My thumb had looked better. It purshed my thumb down and removed a few layers of skin. Last time I ever made that mistake.

I'm sure if I had been intentionally pushing against the slide the gun would have failed to cycle although I don't plan on testing that theory.

The Lone Haranguer
August 25, 2007, 11:04 AM
The round that was in the chamber will fire just fine, but if the rearward movement of the slide is severely slowed or stopped, the fired case will not eject.

HammerBite
August 25, 2007, 12:27 PM
You need to remember that when a 1911, for example, is fired normally the barrel and slide remain locked together until the pressure has reached a very low level, so blocking the recoil action does not change the stresses in the gun.

Kevin108
August 25, 2007, 05:39 PM
My buddy came through! The videos are courtesy of Randy Smith at http://www.dt-concepts.com

They came with this warning:
The videos were more to show that "you can do it" rather than a "how to" do it.

Trying to duplicate things you see demonstrated in a video (especially with no other instruction) can be dangerous. That said...

http://www.dt-concepts.com/mg/thumbbehind.mpg
http://www.dt-concepts.com/mg/disarmfire.mpg

If you enjoyed reading about "what would happen if............?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!