Do You Need The Lowered And Flared Ejection Port?

PDA

Richard
August 26, 2007, 01:53 AM
This topic results from the string Rinco 1911 prob on the CanadianGunNutz.com and the following response: "Does your Norinco allready have the lowered and flared ejection port?" My response is my Ballester-Molina, a pistol that is very similar to a 1911, works great without a lowered and flared ejection port. I prefer the looks of a lowered and flared ejection port but I do not think they add to function. What is your take? Regards, Richard :D

My Ballester-Molina with Hakan grips:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid215/pc5afdd8a247ece8eec302abb4db29f43/eccef752.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You Need The Lowered And Flared Ejection Port?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911 guy
August 26, 2007, 02:00 AM
The major function of a modified ejection port is to prevent dings in the ejected cases. Some pistols do not allow enough clearance to eject a loaded round, which is necessary for a clearance drill, and need to be modified for carry.

The Lone Haranguer
August 26, 2007, 02:05 AM
The lowered port helps ejection, especially when you have to do it with a loaded round. The flare (scalloping at the rear edge) is supposed to keep from denting the case mouths. Anything that helps a case or round to clear more positively can't hurt.

Dienekes
August 26, 2007, 02:31 AM
The GI guns didn't have it. The dings iron out with a quick rap from a plumb bob if necessary...

I confess to having modified a couple of GI .45s to that configuration in the 80s because it looked cool... My SA Mil-Spec has the lowered port, and it leaves a certain gap between the slide and the barrel that can admit debris. Personally I would now prefer the old style for that reason.

Mad Magyar
August 26, 2007, 06:11 PM
Richard, that is nice looking pistol....Some .45 collectors prefer the B-M over the Sistema's....Over the years I've seen many of them in pawn shops going for about $200-250 range and I passed on all of them...Crazy me...
To your question, that happens to be one of the custom features that many pay extra to have one less variable with FTE....It doesn't hurt....:)

Owen
August 26, 2007, 06:13 PM
The lowered port makes press checks alot easier too...

mballai
August 26, 2007, 08:09 PM
I prefer it. A genuine improvement to the original.

MaterDei
August 26, 2007, 08:12 PM
I prefer it. A genuine improvement to the original.

That's heresy! JMB's 1911 design has no room for improvements, only preferences!

cdrt
August 26, 2007, 08:13 PM
Mighty important if you're shooting softball loads at a Bullseye match.

Mad Magyar
August 26, 2007, 08:39 PM
Mighty important if you're shooting softball loads at a Bullseye match.

Now that's heresy to certain shooters that deny & circumvent Newton's 3rd Law....:eek:

MICHAEL T
August 26, 2007, 11:38 PM
I have both 2 USGI's and my regulat Colts. Never had any trouble from the GI so I really other than for a reloader and the ding cases. see no need.

Ala Dan
August 27, 2007, 08:15 AM
as I'm an old handloader, from way back~! :scrutiny:;):D

Geno
August 27, 2007, 08:22 AM
Absolutely not! My Colt Series 70 reissue lacks both and has fired well over 5,000 rounds with zero failures of any sort. Now, conversely, my previous Kimbers...well.

dstorm1911
August 27, 2007, 03:57 PM
the idea is to lower the ejection angle of the spent cases the ejector can be tuned to throw the cases lower and clear of the shooter rather than straight up and right this becomes very important in speed matches and was almost mandatory for early IPSC competitors (back when boots and jeans were worn rather than The latest running shoe and spandex in fact we even used real leather hosters back then.) Same for flared mag wells etc... all these mods came about to facilitate early combat match shooters and for the same reason kids want the same mods being done to their cars as the latest racer....

With 1911s the "race package" just came to be standard as opposed to custom gunsmith work to race prep a gun

Mat, not doormat
August 27, 2007, 04:12 PM
Umm, dstorm, I'm not seeing the connection between wardrobe and ejection. Please explain?

~~~Mat

Silent Bob
August 27, 2007, 05:13 PM
I need the lowered ejection port. Every 1911 I've fired with a narrow port has a tendency to throw brass in my face right at eye-level - which is why we wear eye protection.

kungfuhippie
August 27, 2007, 11:38 PM
dumdum303's 1911 throws overhead and to the right. Ask me how I know :p
Is your 1911 port opened?

dumdum303
August 27, 2007, 11:45 PM
No its like this one.

dstorm1911
August 28, 2007, 01:48 AM
Mat, its a reference to time frame, ORIGINALLY IPSC was setup much as IDPA is today back then our emphasis was on the guns that we actually carried, modifications were strictly functional we used the same holsters and clothing ya would normally wear. It was not commercialized as it is today with all competitors running through the courses etc... no super modified over worked guns with dots bigger than the guns no skelatized "holsters" or better description "gun clips" etc... back when ejection ports were first modified the primary guns used in IPSC were 1911s (nope nobody was runnin double stacks hardly at all) or S&W K frames etc...

if ya will notice most people these days see the lowered port as a cosmetic mod rather than functional well the fact is we originally started lowering ejection ports a few decades back with a very functional purpose the same with opening up mag wells........ oh yea and nobody in them days would consider just literin the ground with empty mags no drop an run etc... the opened up magwell helped ya align the fresh mag easier while the ampty was still in your support hand the empty would then be dropped in a pocket since in a real shootout ya'd need your mags to re-fill if the opportunity arose....

As stated the reference to attire was in relation to dating when we all first started flaring mag ports and WHY we started doin it, do ya remember IPSC BEFORE the competitors started wearin runnin shoes and Spandex?

Mad Magyar
August 28, 2007, 08:51 AM
DStorm, well stated.....:)

coelacanth
August 29, 2007, 12:46 AM
fewer dinged case mouths and no brass hitting me on my right ear. You might also want to add a bullet nose relief flare at the front of the ejection port on the inside. It is very helpful when you need to clear a misfire. One of those could cost you the trophy at a shooting match or something really important in a self-defense situation.

sm
August 29, 2007, 02:35 AM
Nope.

jad0110
August 29, 2007, 04:52 PM
I fall into the reloading crowd that likes to keep my cases in the best shape possible. Otherwise, I have no real preference, though I like the traditional look of the non lowered/flared port.

combatantr2
August 29, 2007, 05:08 PM
I agree with Dstorm. The angle of flight of a spent casing during ejection can be adjusted or change depending of the point of impact of the spent casing against the ejector. Nothwitstanding if you have a flared and lowered port or not. But a flared and lowered ejection port would not hurt your 1911.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You Need The Lowered And Flared Ejection Port?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!