Which caliber is the firearm?

PDA

trashpickinman
August 26, 2007, 06:13 AM
I have a derringer and I am unsure exactly what caliber it is. I would be extremely thankful if someone knew. I'll try to provide as much information as possible. It is a two shot O/U derringer, on the left side of the barrel is "Western Derringer" along with a serial number, on the top of the barrel "Hawes Firearm Co., Los Angeles Calif.", on the right is "Made in Germany". Now here is where the real confusion is, "cal .22lr" is stamped on the right side of the barrel, but the word "magnum" has been stamped directly on top of the "lr" but in a different typeface and at a slight angle. I have fired it a few times using 22 WMR since the "magnum" did seem to be on top of the "lr" not the other way around. Today, using empty cartridges of both 22LR and 22WMR, the 22WMR does seem to have a tighter fit, and measuring from the breach of the barrel to the start of the rifling is longer than an entire 22LR cartridge, possibly confirming that is actually a magnum not a "lr". I’m just hoping someone might be able to confirm or deny the magnum designation, although it would be nice to use cheaper 22LR.

Included is a picture, but probably not much help. It’s hard to get a good picture so close up.

Thanks for any help.

edit: should be "Which caliber is this firearm"

If you enjoyed reading about "Which caliber is the firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kir_kenix
August 26, 2007, 06:23 AM
.22 wmr is a totally different animal from the .22lr. it is not just a longer/typical magnum case w/ more powder. wmr case is heavier to allow more pressure, and .22lr used heeled bullets, so the case diameter is the same as the bullet. im not positive, but i think that your gun should be one or the other...not both. i know somebody here will know quite a bit more about it then me tho, so ill let them answer your question instead of me speculating.

trashpickinman
August 26, 2007, 06:29 AM
Yeah, thats why I'm so confused about what it really is. I can see ".22lr" and "magnum" stamped on the barrel.

ugaarguy
August 26, 2007, 06:49 AM
Overstampings of the caliber generally indicate that the weapon was rechambered. There's no real way to know without hands on examination.

To be safe do not fire the gun again until you take it to a qualified gunsmith for inspection. Let the gunsmith verify what the piece is chambered in, and also ensure if it was rechambered that was done correctly and is in proper & safe working order.

trashpickinman
August 26, 2007, 07:02 AM
Ok. Thank you. Though I'm sure this board is full of qualified people, I guess there is no substitute for hands on inspection.

Thanks for all the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which caliber is the firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!