problems...ar 10

PDA

Frightener 88
August 26, 2007, 10:44 PM
the rifle being used is an Armalite ar 10 a2

Well i took my ar 10 out yesterday. got it used, never fired however. WELL, the performance yesterday was crappy at best, didnt cycle well, kept double feeding. i figured it was because the rifle was a bit dry, i forgot to add some oil to it before i had it out, well when i got home i oiled it, everything seems to be moving better, took it back out today, same problems. so i looked at the ammo, it was reloaded lake city ammo with a soft tip. figured THAT was a problem, as the tips were deforming before they got a chance to make it to the chamber. swapped out the ammo for a few difforent typs of milsurp... south african, and some south american stuff as well, and a few others. all in all, i ran thru maybe 2 mags that didnt have any problems, and they were some south american stuff made in france. i forgot what exactly. ANYWAY. what could be causing the double feeds? the mags look a lil hokey, they are armalite 10 rounders. or do these rifles just have a rough break in period? or ami just doin something REALLY wrong. ANY advice is greatly appreciated. thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "problems...ar 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armed85
August 26, 2007, 10:47 PM
It sounds like you're using poor ammo. Try shooting some factory Winchester, Remington, Black Hills, etc. ammo and see how that works.

Frightener 88
August 26, 2007, 11:43 PM
ill give that a shot the next time i head out.

Ndenway
August 26, 2007, 11:50 PM
I don't know about the double feeds, my AR10A4 has never had that problem, and I shoot quite a bit of sp ammo in it, sounds more like it needs to be lubed up,

mine has to have the bolt/carrier literaly dripping or it'll jam like mad when it starts to dry out.

Frightener 88
August 27, 2007, 12:14 AM
i had it lubed to the point where it was spitting on my while firing. my glasses anyway.

MisterPX
August 27, 2007, 02:12 AM
But did you lube teh recoil spring and buffer?

Frightener 88
August 27, 2007, 02:54 AM
didnt occur to me to do the recoil spring and buffer, im all over it tomarrow.

Crunker1337
August 27, 2007, 08:13 AM
Yours sounds like a common problem with Armalite AR-10s, they've often been said to have poor reliability with poor quality ammunition.

salty
August 27, 2007, 08:21 AM
CHeck your manual and Armalite website - All of the ammo you mentioned using is NOT recommended by Armalite - your thread should "read cheap owner can't get cheap ammo to shoot in AR10 so he should have bought a SAIGA" which will shoot all ammo - sorry but this kind of thread continues the AR10 urban myths and AR10's have enough issues without the ownner caused ones.

Frightener 88
August 27, 2007, 01:05 PM
thats cute salty...wasnt an ar 10 originally a battle rifle? and since when is 7.62x51 cheap? its not as though im running steel cased ammunition thru it. everything i have run thru it is clean ammo, yeah, its milsurp. but it isnt cheap, and its sure as **** not indian. if you dont have anything positive to add to the thread, you can just stfu. have yourself a nice day, and thanks to everyone else for their input.

rbernie
August 27, 2007, 01:59 PM
Double-feeding (two rounds coming out the mag instead of one) is a magazine issue - not an ammo issue. Failures to extract/eject, leaving the spent casing in the way of the next round being fed into the chamber, can very well be an ammo issue.

I have an Armalite AR10 and it's quite insensitive to ammo make/brand, at least insofar as reliabile cycling is concerned.

Frightener 88
August 27, 2007, 02:15 PM
i plan on picking up one of the new 25 rounders when i have the extra cash, if i recall, they are running $53/each. so its gonna be a few weeks.

High Planes Drifter
August 27, 2007, 03:12 PM
CHeck your manual and Armalite website - All of the ammo you mentioned using is NOT recommended by Armalite - your thread should "read cheap owner can't get cheap ammo to shoot in AR10 so he should have bought a SAIGA" which will shoot all ammo - sorry but this kind of thread continues the AR10 urban myths and AR10's have enough issues without the ownner caused ones.

And yet his problem isnt an ammunition related one. Double feeding is a mag issue; not an ammunition issue.

Frightener, as I understand it Armalite uses modified M1A magazines for use in thier AR10's. You may want to see if your gun will accept another make of magazine, perhaps from DPMS, or Knights armament, etc.

Frightener 88
August 27, 2007, 03:13 PM
ill give those a shot, thanks HPD

SlamFire1
August 27, 2007, 03:20 PM
If you are using 10 round Armalite magazines in a Armalite built rifle, then you should not be having any problems, unless...

I got a chance to fire one of the first Armalite 308's that came out to my gunclub, and it jammed. Failure to feed. Rounds jammed up coming out of the magazine.

You may have an early Armalite. The early rifles had problems.

Just because the original AR10 was a service rifle, does not mean that Armalite is using the original data package to build from. I suspect they scaled up their AR15 rifle. Their rifles are getting more reliable, because they have put money into figuring out the bugs, but that does not mean they are all reliable.

Call Armalite up, tell them your problem. And they will probably tell you to send the rifle back to the factory.

Acera
August 27, 2007, 05:09 PM
I agree with SlamFire1, they will probably want to see it. They may give you some BS about a delay, tell them that on their website they promise a two week turn around for the AR-10 Basic Update package. Which I hope you do not need on a new rifle, nor should they charge you for this, but as a benchmark for their time to return the rifle to you.

p.s. I loved your reply to salty, good job. LMAO

Frightener 88
August 27, 2007, 07:26 PM
Im just wondering if they will charge me out the ass on the rifle. I purchased it second hand, but as I mentioned, I was the 1st to fire it. I have all of the warranty paperwork, and it isnt filled out. Guess ill shoot them a line and see what they can do for me. And as far as salty goes, just another armchair gun expert. didnt have anything worth adding to the convo, just wanted to try and sound like he knew something by running his mouth. I wouldnt tolerate it in real life, and I wont tolerate it online. I was just a lot nicer via messageboard, dont want to be banned. And once again, to anyone who had some kind of positive input to help me resolve the issue, thank you.

Frightener 88
August 27, 2007, 08:29 PM
Has anyone tried the DPMS 19 round mags in the Armalite rifles?

SlamFire1
August 28, 2007, 10:58 AM
I saw a DPMS 308. The magazine was totally different and unique.

Frightener 88
August 28, 2007, 11:13 AM
25 rounder armalite it is then. thanks slamfire1

Eyesac
August 28, 2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah +1 for checking out other mags.

High Planes Drifter
August 28, 2007, 12:10 PM
Im just wondering if they will charge me out the ass on the rifle. I purchased it second hand, but as I mentioned, I was the 1st to fire it. I have all of the warranty paperwork, and it isnt filled out. Guess ill shoot them a line and see what they can do for me

Frightener, I dont think the gun needs to be sent back. I certainly wouldnt even consider sending it back without at least trying a brand new factory mag, or seeing if any other make of mag works in the gun. Like I said, I believe Armalite uses modified M1A mags in thier AR10's, so it may not accept another manufacturers' mag. I'd start off by calling Armalite customer service and finding out some info.

BTW - it'd be a good idea to have the mag that came with your gun in your hand when you called them. Verify that you were given the right mag when you bought the gun.;)

Bottom Gun
August 28, 2007, 01:46 PM
I would try a different magazine in it before I did anything else. See if someone will let you try a ten round mag in your rifle. The ten round mags are not converted mags.

Mine uses most ammo but I had a problem with it not feeding round nose and flat point ammo. Armalite told me the feed ramp was designed for more pointed bullets. I started loading SSTís and spire points and the problem vanished.

I really do think your problem is magazine or possibly ammo related. I would explore those areas before sending the rifle anywhere.

I have mags you can try. Where do you live?

Frightener 88
August 28, 2007, 02:15 PM
henderson, nv. what part of AZ are you in?

BusMaster007
August 28, 2007, 03:22 PM
Welcome to the Forum and the AR10 club. :D

Check out this section of AR15.com:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=62 AR10 and AR180 section

I recently sent in my AR10, which is the 2003 Special Edition Black Rifle that AR15.com and ArmaLite collaborated on.
It is a FINE RIFLE!
I didn't care for the original bbl. configuration, so I contacted ArmaLite and shipped the rifle back for the upgrade/new 2nd generation magazines/bbl.swap.
It came back with a 20"/1:11.25 twist stainless Lothar Walther bbl. and my Phantom flash-suppressor attached; cleaned and test-fired; with some new mags.
IT'S A SHOOTER!
Reasonable price for the work I had done and the Gentleman I spoke with was very candid, kind and did a helluva job on my gun.

I hope you can get some good information from the link above and try one of the new magazines.
Sounds like you have yourself a good deal on that AR10. Keep it!
Good Luck, Frightener 88,

Bottom Gun
August 28, 2007, 05:46 PM
Frightener 88,

I live in Chandler (Phoenix) and Elgin (Near the Mexican Border)

If you enjoyed reading about "problems...ar 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!