Choosing my GLOCK 17 over my Sig P229

PDA

RTFM
August 27, 2007, 11:09 AM
Yup I think I'm ready to make the move.
I love my Sig P229 (.40S&W) dearly - it has been a faithful companion for the last seven years.

Recently I purchase a new in box - Gen 2 G17 (yup new as in still had the copper anti seize on it...) and have been putting it through the typical paces one does when they purchase a new gun.
Different ammo, lots of rounds waiting for something to go wrong.

Well I'm about 4,000 rounds in to the G17 and not a single FTF FTE etc etc etc.... you all know the drill. So this weekend I took them both to the range with about 500 rounds for each and I realize now that the G17 just work better for me.
Fit, natural point of aim, recoil and recover all work "better" for me with the G17.

It kills me to admit (like giving away your favorite puppy) but the G17 will get a new holster and the honor of riding on my hip.

I'm open to suggestions for open top - outside waist band holsters.
What works - what to stay away from?

RTFM

If you enjoyed reading about "Choosing my GLOCK 17 over my Sig P229" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
August 27, 2007, 12:18 PM
Simple as the Glock.

Fobus kydex paddle holster (not the "Roto" model)

http://www.code3-eee.com/images/Products/822-Fobus/822-FO-GL2.jpg

gtmtnbiker98
August 27, 2007, 01:52 PM
I use the Blackhawk CQC holster for my G17.

Geno
August 27, 2007, 02:09 PM
Hard to beat a Glock...17 or 19, or any other. Congrats!

mballai
August 27, 2007, 02:24 PM
I like the Desantis Mini-slide holster.

Phantom Warrior
August 27, 2007, 02:33 PM
I second W.E.G.'s suggestion of a Fobus paddle holster. I've been carrying my Glock 23 in one for four years now and I'm very pleased with it. I also carry a Fobus single mag pouch on the other side.

I like this holster because it's inexpensive and simple to take on and off. If I'm stepping out the door to walk around the block w/ my dad I don't have to sit there and fumble with my belt. I can just slide it on and go. Plus, for $20 you really can't go wrong.

GTSteve03
August 27, 2007, 03:34 PM
My friend had a bad experience with the Fobus paddle for his Glock 22. The fit was way too tight and he got some scratches trying to draw.

I bought the Comp-Tac speed paddle for my Glock 21 and it worked great. The design held tightly to the belt but the draw was smooth and easy. I highly recommend them.

glockgod
August 27, 2007, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the dark side!

gudel
August 27, 2007, 04:39 PM
Rust is the thing you just don't see with a G machine :)
I have Galco Matrix. I've seen other holsters people often mention here, but I think the Matrix is very well made and looks better.
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v113/28/38/508741741/n508741741_252601_418.jpg

W.E.G.
August 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
If you find a "too-tight" Fobus holster, just get some of the cheap silicone spray (automotive section at WAL*MART). Spray the silicone on a paper towel, and wipe-down the inside of the Fobus holster. Only do this if your holster is truly too tight. Otherwise, you may compromise the retention features of the holster if you make it too slick.

CountGlockula
August 27, 2007, 07:07 PM
Glad to hear that! I currently have a Galco Cop Slide, Uncle Mike's and Fobus paddle holsters. Both are OWB.

Just to add on your commentary:

Yesterday I trained with my Glock 35 in an Advanced hand gun self defense course. We ended up competing on shooting down metal plates and guess what? I got 4 out of 6. It could've been 6 out of 6, but I ran out of ammo. My competition was using a Sig P229.

Secondly, I work at a shooting range and we rent out guns. Our XD 9 has been a jam-o-matic! The best was when a customer came out of the firing line and called for me...DOUBLE FEED!!!:what:

He ended up renting a Glock 19 and had no problems since.

Scorpiusdeus
August 27, 2007, 07:28 PM
I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but I am stunned to see a glock out do a Sig. It's just not possible. Are you on medication?

The Sig is superior to all others and is the Ferrari of combat handguns. The Glock is like a.... Kia. :)

Kevin108
August 27, 2007, 08:54 PM
+1 on the Fobus GL2. It's a cheap holster, but I think it's great!

The large paddle disperses the weight over a large area.
It stays attached very well to all the pants/belt combos I've tried.

I always dress up some for OC and my usual gun belt (Aker polymer lined) is just too scarred to look nice with and my dress belt is a flimsy JC Penny's piece. The inner rubber liner helps stabilize the holster even further, which is especially useful if you don't always wear a proper gun belt.

Rob1035
August 27, 2007, 09:02 PM
Tried all the rest, 226, 228, 220, M9, XD, M&P. A close to stock G17 rides with me everywhere, to competition (IDPA) and back, and all places in between.

birdv
August 27, 2007, 09:15 PM
glock, sig, 1911

Just do not leave them all at home.

gudel
August 27, 2007, 09:38 PM
The Sig is superior to all others

I'm proud to say my HK's bested my Sigs in every aspect, build quality, reliability, rust proofness and customer service.

Scorpiusdeus
August 28, 2007, 12:35 AM
I'm proud to say my HK's bested my Sigs in every aspect, build quality, reliability, rust proofness and customer service.

Clearly you are mistaken or a Blasphemer. Either way, submit yourself for drug testing. :)

10-Ring
August 28, 2007, 12:37 AM
Congrats on the G17! IMO, the 9mm Glocks are the nicest guns in their inventory.
I've been carrying my G19 in a leather paddle holster from Don Hume -- sorry I forget the model designation :(

boomstik45
August 28, 2007, 12:43 AM
I'd have to agree with 10-Ring. The 9mm Glock is what glock is, was, and always will be about. The best of the bunch. Except for it's big, mean brother: the Glock 20/29. Gotta say that's my favorite 10mm handgun by far. Just not as "practical" and probably not as inexorably durable as the G17.

gudel
August 28, 2007, 12:44 AM
Clearly you are mistaken or a Blasphemer. Either way, submit yourself for drug testing

You don't know me well enough to issue such statement, whether it was a jest or not. My result is clean, now time for your psychiatric evaluation. Sig people. :rolleyes:

dasmi
August 28, 2007, 12:45 AM
I just bought my first Glock. It's a 17, and is also my first brand new handgun. I can't stand the wait much longer. Stupid California cooling off period.

RTFM
August 28, 2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Scorpiusdeus - I also am surprised that the GLOCK out preforms my SIG, but I not so macho that I need to pick a "gun camp" and live with them until I die.

When some thing that works for me comes along that works better - you try to break it, if it fails than it was not meant to be.
If it surpasses your present bench mark, don't let ego interfere common sense.

I also own a P220 .45 acp - and guess what? GLOCK makes .45 also..... but the P220 was not my primary side arm, so I never considered a GLOCK .45 - things have changed, I now am ready to re-evaluate - once again.

dasmi - Sorry to hear about the wait, I don't know how I'd handle that (like everyone else I suppose...:rolleyes:) here in Idaho it's get it and go.

I bought the Gen 2 become 1) it was NIB and 2) the Gen 3 guns force my fingers in to a position that is not natural for me. 3) The SIG decocker is bothereing me lately.

In a high stress situation, I'm questioning my fine motor skills to decock before holstering. I happen to read a great article from Massad Ayoob about just that problem (high stress and re-holstering with SIGs cocked in SA mode) and it pushed me over the edge to re-re-consider GLOCK and it's safe action trigger.

so far - so good.

As for holsters I think I'm close to the

DeSantis Chek-Mate security belt slide

http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/DesChekMate.jpg

Bianchi Model 82 Carry lock

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/prodimages/82_l.jpg

I'm leaning towards the DeSantis because it requires the thumb to release not my middle finger.
READ: My thumb can not inadvertently reach the trigger on release where as my middle finger finger can.

Not good.

And lastly (thanks to gudel) the Galco Matrix M5X
http://www.usgalco.com/Catalog/normal/M5X_SILO.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Shoot and stay safe.

RTFM

Scorpiusdeus
August 28, 2007, 12:46 PM
I'm just ribbing you guys, take it easy. I am surprised, but I realize there is no one size fits all solution. I've tried Glock more than once and it's just not for me. Sad since it's one of the few 10mm we Californians can own, but I didn't like they way they feel in my hand, it rattled, and I didn't shoot well with it.

Just the same if it works for you, good for you.

CountGlockula
August 28, 2007, 01:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/Galco001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/Galco004.jpg

Rumble
August 28, 2007, 01:31 PM
I have the Galco concealable (here) (http://www.usgalco.com/Catalog/large/CONHOL.jpg) for the G19. It's a very nice holster, but the forward cant is pretty aggressive, and I've found that if you wear it just behind your hip (okay, if I wear it just behind my hip), the rear corner of the slide makes a very sharp and noticeable corner under my shirt. This may be because I've got The Handles of Love, but I've found that it's best right at the 3:00 position, rather than at 3:30.

I've also found out that the Bianchi Minimalist with Slots for the G19 does not actually fit a G19. The gun doesn't sit far enough in, and I was able to easily slip my finger in and pull the trigger while the gun was holstered. I don't know if it was a mislabeled box, or what, but just thought I'd let you know since you're looking for Glock holsters.

zeroskillz
August 28, 2007, 01:43 PM

This from the same guy who claims that Sigs and 1911's are low quality guns.

originally posted by: gudel
I have 4 hit list
In the next 4 months, I'd be interesting to buy 4 different pistols.
So far I have GLOCK 17, and HK P2000 LEM 9mm (I already have the 40).
I would like to get two additional on top of those two before 2008 hits.
I'm interested in high quality pistols only, so no 1911 or sig.

And any one who has ever dealt with them will question WTH you're talking about when it comes to HK's CS...
:D
What was that about testing?
:neener:

RTFM
August 28, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hey CountGlockula.
I have heard (and also in other gun articles) that there is a greater chance of a ND if your GLOCK holster has a thumb strap.
A user re-holsters - the strap works it's way in to trigger guard and OOPS!:what:

Any concern for you?

Reference this article -

Saturday, February 04, 2006 4:52 PM

Odessa Texas Police Department

All,

This incident involves a Sheriff’s Deputy in Louisiana this past week. He went to the range and was shooting with a raid jacket (with a draw string) as their policy dictates. He was using a paddle holster with his duty carry weapon and often uses the same holster for duty carry.

He completed the qualification, reloaded the weapon for duty carry and holstered his weapon at the range. When he holstered his weapon the draw string attachment became lodged in [the] trigger guard. This deputy then went some period of time and went home. When he removed the paddle holster the draw string pulled tight and discharged the weapon with the firearm in the holster. The deputy was shot in the outer thigh and buttocks. The deputy will be fine.

[What follows are some of the actual police photos]

http://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_photos/Shooting-1_350.jpg

http://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_photos/Shooting-5_350.jpg

http://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_photos/Shooting-3_350.jpg

I am fully aware that the same could happen with a revolver but most of those require a significantly stronger (and longer) pull of the trigger. Anyway, I got rid of my Glocks.

My purpose here is not to tell you that Glocks are bad -- they aren't and if you're comfortable with them, with carrying them, then Godspeed.

I put this up only as a public service post to remind you to expect the unexpected, handle them (and all guns, of course) with care, and to point out a potential source for an accident (windbreaker draw strings) in the making. I'm sure that is why the TX police department sent this.

Out.

]EDIT TO LINK ARTICLE SO YOU CAN SEE THE NON-LINKABLE PICTURES
http://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_archives/002052.html
That's why I was looking at holsters with mechanical retention (DeSantis / Bianchi) to help alleviate that issue.
Of coarse I need to be aware of (and I think I am) what is in direct vicinity to the holster at re-holster time.

Scorpiusdeus Yeah I realized that... no problems.

zeroskillz I was intentionally staying away from that hot potato on purpose. But your right, I've heard that the CS from HK is abysmal at best.

CountGlockula
August 28, 2007, 03:25 PM
Hi RTFM, I see that with the quote that you linked up shows that there's an extra "draw string". Yes, having a retention and other things that dangle around the area of the holster will cause an incident. It's just going to happen.

Mine has a retention button and I do not allow anything, especially a "drawstring" to distract my draw. Now you always MUST remember that you should ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

I've trained with the same holster and had no issues...NO NDs. Basically, go with your gut.

PhillyGlocker
August 28, 2007, 03:31 PM
When I was getting ready to purchase my first handgun, all of my research led me to the Glock 26. Cool. What I wanted to do first was try different handguns to see if any were better than the 26. I shot the Sig 239, 228, Kahr K9, H&K P2000 SK, and Para Warthog. Out of all of these pistols, the Kahr K9 felt the best in my hand. This would be the gun I would match up agains the 26. After firing both, the Kahr felt a little better in my hand, but the performance of the G26 is what I liked the most. I felt more recoil with the Kahr, and I wasn't as accurate with it as the G26. My research was right on point. Since then, I only own Glocks, and have no desire to stray.

It's ok to chose your Glock over the Sig. You're not the first, and you won't be the last.

Old Dog
August 28, 2007, 03:37 PM
I love piling on to a thread where the Glocksters are chiming in about Glock superiority ... but then a bit of SIG vs. H&K conflict started up, too ... Fascinating.

So, RTFM (love your screen name, BTW), are you gonna post your 229 up for sale? I could always use another one if the price is right.

I must admit to being a little puzzled that one would worry more about having to decock a SIG after a shooting than the likelihood of a Glock ND.

On topic, though, I did find both the Galco Concealable and the Fobus paddle holsters practical and easily concealable with a Glock 23. I once used the Fobus for a combat pistol course when my primary pistol went down and I had to substitute with the Glock -- the Fobus held up quite well. Not being a holster snob (although I do love my Kramers and Sparks), I think both the Galco (although a bit on the flimsy side for my taste) and the Fobus make good occasional CCW holsters.

As far as the SIG vs. H&K deal ... I carry a USP on duty, but if I'm not packing a 1911 off-duty, I'm definitely carrying my SIG 228, the king of the compact nines.

Black Majik
August 28, 2007, 03:44 PM
Jason,
Glocks are great pistols. SIGs are good pistols also, but different. The G-pistols do have a few advantages to a SIG.

*Low bore axis. Might help in muzzle flip, for me it helps because my line of sight isn't as high as I bring up the gun from a draw

*Trigger slack and reset. In my experience the Glocks don't have as much slack as a SIG, and the reset is MUCH shorter

*Lighter. It's easier to carry, and marginally thinner.

SIGs are great though, the trigger is definitely smoother and much preferred. I do enjoy shooting SIGs more at the range, but I'd be quicker with a Glock than a SIG.

Scorpiusdeus
August 28, 2007, 04:25 PM
SIGs are great though, the trigger is definitely smoother and much preferred. I do enjoy shooting SIGs more at the range, but I'd be quicker with a Glock than a SIG.

Well, I've seen you work and I can't argue with that. :D

Black Majik
August 28, 2007, 04:51 PM
Well, I've seen you work and I can't argue with that. :D

LOL thanks but I am the slowest of the group. You can always blame Mike and Vu for getting me into Glocks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Choosing my GLOCK 17 over my Sig P229" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!