why no modern 7.62x25 pistols offered?

PDA

slzy
August 27, 2007, 12:43 PM
i am sure this has been mulled over but i could'nt find anything in a brief search.

If you enjoyed reading about "why no modern 7.62x25 pistols offered?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
August 27, 2007, 01:36 PM
The same reason reason theres no modern handguns made for the .30 Mauser or .30 Luger. No demand. Even the Russians walked away from it.

otomik
August 27, 2007, 03:16 PM
dp, sorry

otomik
August 27, 2007, 03:20 PM
- long cartridge length, means a .45 caliber type magwell, not the more popular .40 type. the hypothetical new production gun it's chambered for will not be originally offered in 7.62mm tokarev. Nobody would take the risk of introducing a gun built around 7.62mm tok primarily.
- probable inferior terminal effects
- it's niche as a good subgun round with range and penetration goes right up against 9mm Parabellum which is a very developed round and also very capable as a subgun round.
- politics involved in the supply of 7.62mm tokarev surplus means it will continue to increase in price. police and military don't particularly like it so this trend will continue

Novus Collectus
August 27, 2007, 05:06 PM
If more criminals wear bullet resistant armor, then there may be more of a desire for the Tokarev round for self defense which does great against armor, but as someone already pointed out it is not for a gun small enough that most people would want to carry concealed.
For target shooting, I don't see why there isn't one made new. For hunting I personally (as a not yet hunter) think it would be great for small game. So I don't know why no one has at least thought of it yet.

But what I really want to know is why no one has made a cheap 7.62x25 carbine yet?

Hoppy590
August 27, 2007, 05:35 PM
But what I really want to know is why no one has made a cheap 7.62x25 carbine yet?

theve made several. back in 1940's. our government says they are too scary for us to have. and if we had them wed all become insane blood thursty machine gun toteing killers.

that said. theres plenty of DIY resources for semi auto pps41, and PPSH41's. one guy even made a 7.62X25 AK. though it took significant work to lighten all parts involved

Novus Collectus
August 27, 2007, 05:54 PM
I am aware of the 16 inch barrel, folding stock, semi-auto PPSh, but I meant a new manufactured, with new parts carbine that is cheap! The semi auto PPSh's I have seen start at around $700. I was thinking more along the lines of a Hi-Point in 7.62x25 going for less than $200.

Storm
August 27, 2007, 07:14 PM
With the penetration capabilities of this round, potentially moving a .30 caliber at 2000 fps, I'm amazed that our government hasn't tried banning the round. Hopefully they won't catch on to the CZ52.

Hoppy590
August 27, 2007, 07:57 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of a Hi-Point in 7.62x25 going for less than $200.

il send them an Email if you will. id love to see more Hi Points. and 7.62X25 would be a great choice. more than 9 or 40 kinda short of 30 carbine if im not mistaken.

TheLaxPlayer
August 27, 2007, 08:22 PM
As cool as I think the 7.62x25 is, I doubt we'll see many (if any) modern pistols offered in the caliber as the 357SIG is also a high velocity, good penetrating round, which fits a smaller mag well. I still want a CZ52 though...

R127
August 27, 2007, 08:51 PM
Lack of innovation and imagination in the firearms industry.

7.62x25 is a great round, pistol or carbine. If a company built a quality duty pistol and carbine that shared mags in this caliber they would sell like hotcakes and the ammo would flow from S&B, Wolf and others.

If you enjoyed reading about "why no modern 7.62x25 pistols offered?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!