New Gun

PDA

RancidSumo
August 27, 2007, 09:16 PM
Ok, I probably know the answer I am going to get on this forum but I just got my first handgun (a Taurus 24/7 PRO .40) and now I want another one. However I am still a terrible shot so my question is, should I buy another gun or wait untill I am a better shot and spend my money on ammo? I am thinking about getting a 10mm or a .45. Probably a Glock if I can find one that fits my hand since they are inexpensive and, from what I hear, they are good guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tydephan
August 27, 2007, 09:19 PM
However I am still a terrible shot so my question is, should I buy another gun or wait untill I am a better shot and spend my money on ammo?

The answer lies within. :D

Practice practice practice. All the hardware in the world will do you know good if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with a bass fiddle.

RancidSumo
August 27, 2007, 09:21 PM
I know I need to practice and I do but I still want another gun. It has nothing to do with making me a better shot by using a different gun, I just want to have more then one.

tydephan
August 27, 2007, 09:27 PM
but I still want another gun.

By all means, then, buy another gun.

If I had it to do over, I'd stock up on magazines and ammo and shoot the mess out of my first pistol instead of buying more guns.

But it's your money. Do what makes you happy.

RancidSumo
August 27, 2007, 09:31 PM
I know it is my money, I just can't decide what to do. Ammo or gun? Ammo or gun? ITS TO HARD!!

2RCO
August 27, 2007, 09:32 PM
Buy another-- Get something with a different grip frame style than what you have it could possibly be more intuitive and might improve shooting. That being said practice is the only real way to get better.

RancidSumo
August 27, 2007, 09:33 PM
I don't think it is a gun problem that makes me suck. I think it is more of a user problem.

rich0372
August 27, 2007, 09:39 PM
However I am still a terrible shot so my question is, should I buy another gun or wait untill I am a better shot and spend my money on ammo? I am thinking about getting a 10mm or a .45.

Since you already have a nice caliber for SD why not get a .22 so you could practice a lot for cheap.

RancidSumo
August 27, 2007, 09:49 PM
I already have a Ruger Mk1.

2RCO
August 27, 2007, 09:50 PM
Then take the Ruger to the range and plink away.

Mike J
August 27, 2007, 10:00 PM
Have you thought about trying changing your grip or the way you pull the trigger. I couldn't hit anything & asked a LEO brother in law for pointers- He changed the way I was holding the gun & showed me a dry fire drill. Still not a crack shot-but I'm a lot better than I was

jad0110
August 27, 2007, 10:02 PM
Get a 22 and kill 2 birds with one stone: You get to get another gun, something all of us gunoholics gotta do from time to time :p . And you get very cheap practice, something you won't get with 45 ACP and especially 10 mm. For example, a 50 round box of Blazer CCI 45 ACP at Wallie World sells for around $13.95 locally. For $10, I can get 550 rounds of 22LR.

And you yourself admit you need more practice. Oh, you are correct: most of the time it is us (the software), not the hardware. Any gun guy or gal needs at least one good quality 22 with which to practice the art and science of sight alignment, trigger control, breathing, etc... And IMHO, there is nothing better to learn trigger control on than a double action wheelgun. YMMV. Of course, I would love to own something like a Browning Buckmark one day.

Good luck with your affliction; welcome to the club :evil:.

RancidSumo
August 27, 2007, 10:12 PM
What is a good revolver that I can get for ~$500? Not a .22, like I said, I already have a Ruger Mk1. Mabey a .357.

gudel
August 27, 2007, 10:28 PM
go pick up an HK P2000 in 40 LEM. :D

ArchAngelCD
August 28, 2007, 01:00 AM
All the guns in the world will do you no good unless you can hit what you shoot at.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!