What handgun would buy (re-buy) new?

PDA

John C
August 28, 2007, 01:45 AM
I buy almost all of my guns used, waiting for deals I can't refuse.

I was recently thinking about what I would do if my safe with all my guns burned up or otherwise was destroyed (maybe flooded in saltwater for a couple months after a hurricane). With my insurance check, and a clean slate, what would I buy? Presumably, I'd need to replace some pistols fast, so I'd have to buy them new.

So help me out. What guns do you think are worth buying new? Not wait around and pick one up used?

I guess we could include guns no longer made, that you'd still have to pay full boat to find one. Like if you had to pay $999 for a shooter grade Python.

So here goes:

-A Les Baer or Rock River 1911 with an accuracy guarantee (1 1/2 inches at 50 yards). I live in California and can buy only 1 gun a month, so it better be a good one. I shoot bullseye, so I'd need a good .45. I have never seen one used, and these pistols are worth every penny.

I'd get a marvel .22 conversion kit to shoot .22.

After that?

-John

If you enjoyed reading about "What handgun would buy (re-buy) new?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
August 29, 2007, 04:01 PM
Being in CA, it might be difficult to replace lost guns in general if they're not on the approved list :( The RRA you mentioned is one that is not on the list so unless you find one in the state already & someone willing to do a PPT, your are SOL :( :(
I, like you, have built up my collection w/ pre-owned gems ie. Python, S&W mod 19-2, BHP -- but if I had to rebuild it, I'm not sure what I would do :confused:

sm
August 29, 2007, 05:14 PM
Having to replace in a hurry is something I and others have had to do.
Being honest, I / we bought used.
We simply do not like the new guns, with the change in metallurgy, materials, lack of quality control, locks, and billboards on slides and barrels.
We have felt this way for many many years, and before some gun platforms, and even calibers came to be.

First thing I will run get, is a good used Model 10, or 64. Right along with this are other good used K frames and J frames.

New: I trust the NAA .22 Mini-Revolver out of the box, the most.
I'd trust a USFA , Freedom Arms revolver out of the box as well, simply because, these guns are made "right".

Personally, I have had great success with Kel-Tec P-11s out of the box, no fluff, no buff, just remove factory lube, re-lube and load 'em with 115 gr or 124 gr standard loads and run the daylights out of them.

Colt Series 70's and the Colt and Springfield "GI" models have run out of the box for me.

Rest assured, I will run to a OLDer firearm every time , if I have to "get one right now".
Older Police Trade in a counter is where I be looking for a K frame first off.
I will look for a Colt Detective Special and Ruger Six series as well.

Older K frame always my first choice-
You can bet the farm on that!

Brian Williams
August 29, 2007, 05:52 PM
Revolvers
A good 3" round butt S&W 13 or 65 3"
A S&W 34, 35, 17
A ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag
A S&W Model 10 and a 642
Autos
A good 1911A1 or close clone
A Colt Woodsman
A drasticplastic blunder nine
A BHP

lee n. field
August 29, 2007, 06:06 PM
was recently thinking about what I would do if my safe with all my guns burned up or otherwise was destroyed (maybe flooded in saltwater for a couple months after a hurricane). With my insurance check, and a clean slate, what would I buy?

What mistakes would I avoid, and what mistakes would I repeat?:rolleyes:

Probably the only thing I would change would be XDSC to replace Service.

WVMountainBoy
August 29, 2007, 11:34 PM
If I had to replace 3 weapons in my collection...
A Colt branded 1911 Commander in .45
A Marlin .22LR semi Auto
A Remington 870 12 gauge

jpwilly
August 30, 2007, 01:53 AM
First, get a good fire rated safe! If that doesn't work and you have to replace...I think a Colt or Kimber 1911 would be a must have.

Autolycus
August 30, 2007, 03:15 AM
Sig 228 if I could find it NIB.

TnShooter83
August 30, 2007, 04:55 AM
Ruger Mark II SS in .270.

Nematocyst
August 30, 2007, 05:08 AM
Only one: a 686 3".

jungleroy
August 30, 2007, 06:11 AM
If it were me, I would get another kimber TLE 2, as quickly as I could.
It was dependable right out of the box.

Geno
August 30, 2007, 07:00 AM
Good thread! For me, I say re-buy used, i.e. Ruger Mark II .22LRs. I do not like the loaded-chamber indicator on the Mark III. So, for my part, as I seek to replace a .22LR pistol for plinking, I won't be looking for a new one...I am looking for a NIB Mark II, used if need be.

Calhoun
August 30, 2007, 10:24 AM
For me, I'd have to go with one of the CZ 75 flavors. Full size, compact, P-01, or PCR. If I couldn't find one of those, new or used, it would be a toss up between a USP 45F or a good 4" .357 Mag revolver.

joab
August 30, 2007, 10:28 AM
I can't think of a single gun that I would feel the need to rebuy new

If I need something in a hurry? Pawn shops are full of used .38 snubs
The boards for sale forums will fill in the rest

Alan Fud
August 30, 2007, 01:07 PM
What handgun would buy (re-buy) new

- Colt Magnum Carry
- Colt Pocket Nine
- Taurus 605CH

19-3Ben
August 30, 2007, 03:30 PM
The first gun I would re-buy would be a Ruger SP101 3" in .357mag. The most versatile gun that I own. I can easily CCW it, use it for HD, woods gun, etc... In fact...I already do use it for all of those purposes. I am very very deeply in love with this gun.

Elm Creek Smith
August 30, 2007, 11:31 PM
First: Since they're not making new ones, a good, used S&W 3" M13 or M65 RB. Then, I'd have to try to find another pair of Bianchi Lightning grips to fit it.

Second: I'd replace my KelTec P32 with a KelTec P3AT. They weren't making the P3AT when I got my P32.

Third: To replace my Kahr K9, I'd go with a Springfield HD40 Tactical. Yeah, I know it's bigger, but I've been missing a full-sized service pistol for a while.

Fourth: I'd get another S&W L-frame 4 inch to take the place of the M681 a friend gave me. My wife has to have a gun, too, right?

Then, I'd start replacing my cowboy guns (all in .45 Colt) with .44-40's.

ECS

Snapping Twig
August 31, 2007, 01:59 AM
I just did it, I bought a 686 to replace the two I foolishly sold so long ago. I'm also looking for a wood/blued Mini-30 which was the victim of a foolish sale.

I wouldn't buy a new IL S&W, just not possible.

I'd want to replace every firearm I presently have since I bought each one of them after careful deliberation originally.

Oh, and I absolutely MUST always posses a .44 - always. No one pistol is as versatile IMO.

jrfoxx
August 31, 2007, 05:40 AM
the 3 I have that I love, can 100% depend on, and shoot,carry, enjoy, and would miss the most and HAVE to replace pretty much no matter what are:
my Firestorm 1911 .45acp
My Redhawk 5.5" 44 mag
my S&W 637 airweight 38spl

22-rimfire
August 31, 2007, 11:44 AM
Interesting question as I had the same dilemma with photographic equipment that was stolen once in a past life. I stepped back and reviewed my real needs and went from there. Many of the things that were seldom used were never replaced. But I bought better quality overall. I used my experience to do it better the second time around.

Now Guns... if it happened right now, I would be looking for a handgun for deer hunting and a self defense handgun. Which ones.... Ruger SRH in 480 and Smith 442/642. Next one(s) would be 22's-rifles and handguns. I shoot those the most followed by 41 mag revolvers.

fletcher
August 31, 2007, 11:47 AM
My GP100 is probably the only one I would rebuy new. I would also just go ahead and get a P3AT for pocket carry, too. A Makarov would be worth paying the currently inflated price for.

IMO, good new guns are like new cars - overpriced. Maybe that's just because I don't have tons of money, but I just don't buy new but once in a while.

Just Jim
August 31, 2007, 09:50 PM
I had to give up all my guns some years ago to pay for my wifes cancer. We beat it and since then I have been buying the guns I used to have. I bought a few here at THR. Thanks Billhilly66

jim

doc2rn
August 31, 2007, 10:03 PM
My S&W 10-4 3", SP101 .22 3", Mossberg 500 12 ga, Glock 32 would be on me so I wouldn't worry 'bout it.

brashboy
September 1, 2007, 01:42 AM
Series 70 CC I had in college.

skinnyguy
September 1, 2007, 04:01 AM
ALMOST anything in the Ruger P-series.

WeedWhacker
September 1, 2007, 05:00 AM
Top three, in order:

Glock 17
CZ-75B
Stainless GP-100

the pistolero
September 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
I second the choice of the Ruger P-guns. My first replacement would probably be a NIB Ruger P90.

dust_101
September 1, 2007, 02:14 PM
S&W 642, only one i've ever bought new... only one I'd buy new again. Every other handgun I own was used and is no longer made (to my liking) as a new production gun.

Ok well maybe if it was a crunch and I had an insurance check I'd buy a NIB glock just as a CYA for carry... ;)

lee n. field
September 5, 2007, 10:24 PM
I was recently thinking about what I would do if my safe with all my guns burned up or otherwise was destroyed (maybe flooded in saltwater for a couple months after a hurricane). With my insurance check, and a clean slate, what would I buy?

Thinking it over, I know more now than when I bought much of my stuff. I would use the opportunity to guns better fitted to my needs than the sometimes haphazard purchases I've made over the years.

.45 Probably a Springfield GI -- classic, parts abundantly available.

.357 Replace the Model 19, if possible. Otherwise SP-101.

.40 XDSC (preferably) or Service.

9x18 Mak or CZ-82. Or get one of them classy Beretta .380s. instead.

P97
September 5, 2007, 10:34 PM
Ruger KP90DC.

ADKWOODSMAN
September 5, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm involved in SASS and IPSC so I have to replace--
1. Colt or Springfield .45
2. A pair of used .45 Bisley Vaquero's
3. My woods gun 4" Mod 29,629, or 657 or 57.
4. My trapline gun .22 Mod 617 or 17, 613.

Ala Dan
September 5, 2007, 10:44 PM
I definitely would replace the Les Baer, as they are some fine weapons~! ;)

A good rule of thumb to follow, used many times by my ole' friend Mr. C.R. Sam: :)

"Have patience, and carry cash"

as a good deal will surely come your way-! :D

earplug
September 5, 2007, 11:22 PM
I'd have A custom 625 built with A 45 ACP, TI cylinder, four inch barrel. Then have another cylinder chambered for 45 Rowland. This would replace my current 625 and M-29.

Atticus
September 5, 2007, 11:52 PM
1) Sig P220
2) Keltec P3AT
3) S&W 625 5"
4) Browning HP

If you enjoyed reading about "What handgun would buy (re-buy) new?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!