S&W Model 10

PDA

CoinMan
August 28, 2007, 05:34 AM
I found a relatively inexpensive Model 10 .38 at a gun show over the weekend. I've always been fond of that model, so I snapped it up, and pick it up on Wednesday. The gun seems to be in good shape mechanically, based on the checks I performed that are listed in Jim March's guide for used revolvers, and has only slight holster wear, as it was used as a security pistol for many years. It was probably drawn or fired very seldom. It's my first Model 10, and I'm interested in some feedback from highroad members that have owned any of these, if there is anything out of the ordinary that I should be concerned with regarding shooting, cleaning or any other issues.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I'd post some pics of it if I could, but who needs to look at another Model 10?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XavierBreath
August 28, 2007, 06:25 AM
What might help out CoinMan, is posting the serial number with the last three numbers as X's. Include any alphabetical prefixes. All "Model 10's" are not the same. Some are not even Model 10's!

What barrel length did you get? Pinned?

The S&W Model 10 is a great gun, with low entry prices due to production volume. The variations within the Model of 1905 genre make it my favorite revolver.

Deanimator
August 28, 2007, 10:33 AM
I have an M&P, the pre-model number version.

They're great guns.

I would have a gunsmith look at it. Two things to pay attention to:

1. Make sure it's in time. Minor timing issues can cause "spitting", but are easily fixed by a competent gunsmith.

2. Make sure that the strain screw in the front of the grip is both screwed all the way down, and factory length. Backing the screw out will lighten the perceived triggerpull, but will also give you light hits in double action. Some people have been known to shorten the screw to achieve the same thing with it screwed all the way in. A good gunsmith should be able to correct these problems.

robert garner
August 28, 2007, 10:40 AM
I love these stories of inexpensive mdl 10's, if you can find one here its at a premium! good luck with that!
robert

DrLaw
August 28, 2007, 11:33 AM
WE DO.

Post a photo!

The Doc is prescribing this for you now. :cool:

armoredman
August 28, 2007, 11:37 AM
I am very fond of my Model 10-8

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/outdated.jpg

Great revolvers. I'll get another HB model 10 one of these days, always good to have a backup.

SaxonPig
August 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
No opinions offered. Just pics.

A Military & Police (Victory Model) shipped in 1942. Had a 4 barrel that got bulged (hence the $60 asking price) so I swapped on a 5 tube I got off ebay for $5. Total investment, $65.

http://www.fototime.com/337D81FE3E44585/standard.jpg

Trio of snubbies. Left and right are RB M&Ps from 1949. Center is a SB 10-5 from 1969 that has been engraved and wears elk stag stocks that I fit and finished for it.

http://www.fototime.com/F2611CF3E610913/standard.jpg

A 10-7 the wife got me for my BD a few years ago.

http://www.fototime.com/955A6A17F2A9CCA/standard.jpg

I agree the M&P/M10 is classic simplicity.

Brian Williams
August 29, 2007, 12:16 PM
S&W M&P/Model 10 are great guns. I would like to find the following all in the M&P family

1. A nice 1905 4th change with a 5" barrel and round grip
2. A Model 10-5 with a round butt and the 3" mid weight barrel
3. A Model 12 with a 3" mid weight barrel.

nitesite
August 29, 2007, 12:22 PM
I had a fairly rare pinned 10-8 round butt heavy barrel 3" Model 10 that I sold to a major collector (initials are R.M.) a few years back to help pay for a cruise with my wife.

Wow, would I like to have another one like it now.....

I'm on the lookout for a 4" HB Model 10 as well. Don't need one, just want one.

Ala Dan
August 29, 2007, 03:04 PM
As S&W model 10's (Military & Police) make for great shooter's. I own a
early 70's, factory nickel 2" S&W model 10 myself~! Enjoy;):cool::D

1BLINDREF
August 29, 2007, 03:19 PM
SaxonPig-
Very nice collection :D
I really like that engraved 10-5 :cool:

sm
August 29, 2007, 04:24 PM
It's my first Model 10, and I'm interested in some feedback from highroad members that have owned any of these, if there is anything out of the ordinary that I should be concerned with regarding shooting, cleaning or any other issues.

1. It is a Model 10.
What is there to know? These are proven, have history and work.
Some guns hope someday to aspire to this status in the world of firearms.

2. Addictive, only fault is they are addictive.
Not a bad thing, actually a great thing.

That covers it...
Enjoy!

:D

Rex B
August 29, 2007, 04:32 PM
I bought a M10-8 last year. Well worn, French prison trade-in, had the fat rubber grips. Got some new target wood grips from a THR member, reblued with Wheeler cold blue. Needed a new cylinder lock.
Looks pretty good, cycles like a Swiss watch. Nice gun. It's now my home "desk gun"

W.E.G.
August 29, 2007, 04:44 PM
The thing that sucks the most about Model 10's is you know it will last a whole lot longer than you will, and it will always shoot better than you can hold.

Thor Bloodax
August 29, 2007, 05:05 PM
Carried a Model 10 on the Macon PD in the 60's. Most policemen did in those days. I was always the number one or two high score on qualifications. My riding partner was the one I swapped off with. He carried a Colt Python. Natural pointer. Reliable. Do not snap/flip the cylinder shut, don't overload it with superhot loads, keep it clean and it will just keep on and on shooting.
I have several with various dash numbers and they all shoot great even the early M&P 5 screw, and yes they are like Swiss watches. Crisp and sturdy.
Good choice on the buy.

Old Tom

sm
August 29, 2007, 05:17 PM
W.E.G.

LOL! How true!

True:
Now I am 52 years old.
Some of these kids I hang with said :
You know the neat part about these [Model 10s] we don't have to bend over to police the brass.

I started cracking up, so did their parents and all the other adults...
I said that when I was a wee brat; seems we all had made that revelation when we were kids.

We use the Speer Plastic Training bullets, especially during bad weather, cold temps ..etc.in a barn.
Great practice, lots of fun.
There is something about a 77 y/o grandma doing a Eddie Murphy impersonation "This is like shooting guns in the house".

Guess one had to be there, just she kept doing silly quotes from that movie.

While there are other fine revolvers , one huge advantage the Model 10 has, is all the various stocks/ grips available for it.
Real easy to find what works for one for better gun fit.

Black Knight
August 29, 2007, 08:43 PM
If you can have only one revolver for the rest of your life you could find few better. The Model 10 (M&P) is the revolver that all other S&W's are created from. Everyone who collects revolvers should have at least one in their collection. I have a model 10HB with a Bullseye (I believe they are Wolf Springs now) spring kit and it is so smooth and crisp. I have never had aany problems with mine. As you described the 10 I would say it sounds like you got a fine revolver there.

DrLaw
August 29, 2007, 08:46 PM
Saxon

Purty. Real purty. :p

The Doc is (jealous) out now. :cool:

W.E.G.
August 29, 2007, 09:15 PM
I been trying to wear out these grips, and ain't havin' much luck.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/model-10-grip1.jpg

W.E.G.
August 29, 2007, 09:17 PM
If anybody finds D279229 with "MPDC" stamped on the butt, I want it back.

CoinMan
August 30, 2007, 01:11 AM
Thanks for all of the comments. I picked mine up today and it's almost a carbon copy of Saxon's $65 gun, with a different front sight and no lanyard ring. It's a 10-5 with a 5" pinned barrel, S/N D91XXX. My dealer said it's a
'71 model. It looks to have been carried often but used rarely. The checkered wood grip panels are pretty smooth now, so I'll have to find some replacements.

I would tell you the price that I paid, but after Saxon's post, forget it!

sm
August 30, 2007, 01:19 AM
Mr. Stephen Camp :

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=3638927#post3638927

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

Click on "Other Handguns"
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/OtherHandguns.htm

Peruse the listings to view other articles in regard to Model 10, .38spl loadings, and other priceless information.

XavierBreath
August 30, 2007, 06:00 AM
Aw heck, I'll go ahead and post this pic today.......Snubbies to follow.......

http://www.bayourovers.com/TwinModel10-5s.jpg

Thor Bloodax
August 30, 2007, 01:54 PM
The lanyard ring is called a butt swivel by Numrich, item 358810A at $12.95. Don't forget to get the retaining pin. Some fitting may be required but a few minutes with a file takes care of that. I bought one to fit a minty RHKP 10-9.

Old Tom

dispatch
August 30, 2007, 08:59 PM
Model 10 is a great revolver, especially for someone just starting to shoot. Been around in some form or fashion for about a century now. 38 Special is a decent defnsive round and a great target round- love the gun!

ArchAngelCD
August 31, 2007, 01:58 AM
I would love to get my hands on a Model 10-7 or 10-8 but all Model 10's are very hard to find in NE PA for some reason.

SaxonPig
August 31, 2007, 12:05 PM
A little better shot of the engraved 10-5.

http://www.fototime.com/9A67BDF956772CA/standard.jpg

armoredman
August 31, 2007, 02:21 PM
Nice, very nice, classic collectable.

DaleCooper51
August 31, 2007, 02:34 PM
thats a nice looking revolver saxon.

XavierBreath
August 31, 2007, 03:26 PM
http://www.bayourovers.com/Model10Snubbies.jpg

The snubbies I promised.........

336A
August 31, 2007, 07:16 PM
Yup ya' just can't go wrong with a S&W M10 I got this one in February.

P.S. With all of the other clubs out there why not make one for the most deserving revolver there is the M10.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/336a/IMG_0340.jpg

CoinMan
September 1, 2007, 04:31 AM
"P.S. With all of the other clubs out there why not make one for the most deserving revolver there is the M10."

The 10-5 is my first S&W, so I'm in!

XavierBreath
September 1, 2007, 09:26 AM
We have tried to let the "club" threads die a natural death.

They contained a lot of photos, as well as a lot of good information. The problem is, when searching for information on (an example) the firing pin integrity of the Kaboomer Whiz Gun, the searcher would get a 20 page thread of slow loading photos and irrelevant information instead of a six post thread dealing with the subject at hand. Thus, the information provided in the thread, while excellent, becomes less accessible for future use.

If you want to start a Model 10/M&P photo thread, go for it. I love to look at them.......That's probably why I own so many.

armoredman
September 1, 2007, 10:42 AM
Sorry, Xavier.

sm
September 1, 2007, 08:27 PM
The problem is, when searching for information on (an example) the firing pin integrity of the Kaboomer Whiz Gun,

That is what the person searching gets for buying a Kaboomer Whiz Gun in the first darn place.
If they would bought a Model 10 to start with...

Wait.

I wuz going to suggest they start vaccinating folks for being GunDumb...
Never mind...

Some folks just deserve to be Kaboomer Whiz GunDumb...

wnycollector
September 2, 2007, 10:37 AM
for those in the market for a model 10-5 you might want to check this out http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=79262923

22-rimfire
September 3, 2007, 08:59 PM
I bought my first Model 10 earlier this year. It is a real nice gun and pehaps in better shape than I want to just shoot. The problem with nice guns; they might be too nice to shoot. I probably paid too much for it (maybe $25-50), but I'll live. That seems to be the story of my life with guns in general. Sell them for $50 less than they are reasonably worth and pay to much for a purchase.

For years I paid absolutely no attention to Model 10's as they seemed to be almost as common as dirt at gunshows. Now, with the locks, and more education on the merits of older revolvers vs. new ones, I have been keeping my eyes open for nice stuff.

Bellevance
September 3, 2007, 09:11 PM
XavierBreath,

Those two Model 10s are fine-looking handguns. I have a blued 10-5 square-butt like yours, and I would like to ask: have you ever installed a Tyler-T on either of those? I ask because it seems to me that a lot shooters like to fill in the frame somehow, but I assume you must be happier with the gun as it was originally delivered. Does a shooter's preference in this instance have to do with the size of his hand?

Thanks.

XavierBreath
September 3, 2007, 11:16 PM
You'll note that the four inchers above do have grip adapters, one is a Tyler T, the other a Pachmayr.

I did not place grip adapters on the snubbies. I do not like the wobbliness of the grip adapter on a carry gun. I just don't feel they are stable enough, although I like the way they fill in the area. The blue snub is to pristine to monkey with, the nickel one gets carried.

Bo
September 4, 2007, 09:35 AM
I have a Model 10-5 snubbie ser.# 66958 that my father left me. It seems to be a rather beefy little pistol. Is it safe to fire +P's in this gun? Can someone tell me how old it is?

Dave from Alberta
September 4, 2007, 10:16 AM
I've been looking for a model 10 for a little while now. They are not all that easy to come by now in Canada. The people that have them are not selling and anything under 4" barrel length is now prohibited. :(

MCgunner
September 4, 2007, 11:05 AM
Back when autoloaders were finicky and lack luster accuracy was the rule with them, one could count on a M10 to go bang and put the bullet where the gun pointed....every time. To me, the classic M10 defines the basic revolver. It's as good as anything hot off the presses today as a tool for defending ones life, a true test of time for a time honored design. Had the wonder nines not come along and caught on in the 80s, I think the K frame would still be in the holsters of law enforcement. It may have lost its place in law enforcement circles to newer, higher firepower autoloaders, but it is still a fantastic choice for a civilian like me who only wants self defense. Firepower is not a real concern in the real world of self defense, though some seem to think it is. 20 rounds in the magazine does not make up for good marksmanship and an accurate weapon in the hands of a good shooter. Tossing lead out there in the concrete jungle in the hopes one of 'em will hit home and stop the fight is not a real smart tactic. It could land you in a heap of trouble if you become the progenitor of a friendly fire incident. For self defense, I don't know that the revolver will ever be a bad choice and the M10 is the perfection to which all other revolvers are ultimately compared.

And, yes, any gun built from the 60s on are +P safe and, frankly, I wouldn't worry about a 50s era gun if it's in good shape. Mine's an early 60s gun and has seen its fair share of +P over the years. It's still tight as the proverbial drum.

Thor Bloodax
September 4, 2007, 06:12 PM
According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Second Edition, page 127, your Model 10-5 was made in 1962 when the sight width changed from 1/10" to 1/8" on the standard barrel. Great revolver!

Old Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!