Thinking of getting used P225, need advice

PDA

TargetTerror
August 29, 2007, 02:46 PM
My local gunshop has a used Sig P225 that I am really thinking of buying. I shot a .45 caliber Sig (don't remember which model, though it was a full size) and I shot it the best of any auto loader I've ever shot. The price on the P225 seems pretty good at $400. It has some holster wear, though I haven't checked the internals. The owner thinks it came from overseas, so its probably a police gun?

Do most Sigs shoot pretty similarly? By that I mean that when I shoot different S&W revolovers, they all have the same general feel/balance/trigger feel, and I shoot them all well. Is the same likely to be true of the Sigs (I ask because I don't think I'll be able to try this gun before buying, but my experience with other sigs has been very positive.

What should I look for in the gun, to make sure I don't get a lemon? The info on the net has been overwhelmingly positive for the P225, saying it is reliable and accurate. Is this mostly true?

Also, what is Sigs deal with warranties? Would they repair a used gun under warranty, or would I have to pay?

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking of getting used P225, need advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EdLaver
August 29, 2007, 02:51 PM
You could get a Sig 2022 for the same price with night sights and a higher capacity. Just a suggestion. Below is a thread I started with mine:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=279458&highlight=sig+2022

Father Knows Best
August 29, 2007, 03:11 PM
The owner thinks it came from overseas, so its probably a police gun?
It's a P6, which is the European police version of the P225. They are fundamentally identical, with minor differences such as the hammer. The U.S. market is flooded right now with these police trade-in guns. Gander Mountain is selling them for $349.

gtmtnbiker98
August 29, 2007, 03:29 PM
Agreed, sounds like a P6 - on the right side (serial # side) check for the importers name. I cannot recall the name but the engraving should look pretty nasty.

Depending upon the amount of wear, they aren't worth more than $400.00. Then, you can always send it back to Sig and/or CCR to have it refinished.

1BLINDREF
August 29, 2007, 03:40 PM
Check the hammer to see if it is round with a cut in it and look for and import stamp on the right side of the frame of the gun. If it has both, its a P6. Like Father posted, they can be had for anywhere from $325.-$375.
The P6 P225s are generally good mechanical guns that are IMHO ugly (cut hammer, nasty import stamp, and lots of finish wear). I don't know if Sig warrantys the P6s.
The .45acp Sig you shot was probably a P220. IMHO, all of the classic "P" series Sigs shoot pretty much the same. If you shot the P220 well, you'll probably shoot most of the "P" series Sigs well.
Another option you have is to look for a CPO Sig (certified pre owned). They can be had for around $475. - $550., depending on options. They come with a 1 year warranty and are a good deal. They've been sent back to the factory, completely stripped, cleaned, and have new springs installed.
Or, you could always buy a new Sig and get a lifetime warranty.
Good luck!

Silent Bob
August 29, 2007, 04:02 PM
Something to keep in mind about P6s: most, if not all of them, have the old-style barrel and feed ramp, and they can be picky with some brands of JHPs. Top Gun Supply sells new style barrels, and they are "drop-in" fit, but are a considerable expense for a $350.00 gun. Just something to keep in mind.

BamBam-31
August 29, 2007, 04:12 PM
My buddy's 225 (don't believe it was police trade-in) had a horrendously heavy double action pull. I was shocked, as my previous experience with Sigs (226 ST, 220ST, X5, 228 W. German, 226 W. German) lead me to believe they had pretty darn nice trigger pulls out of the box. I'd ask if I could dry fire that puppy first (w/ a snap cap)--it'll prolly be different than the 220 you shot before.

As for Sigs overall, I've yet to shoot an inaccurate Sig. They are nice guns--well built, accurate, nicely finished. My only complaints about them as a whole are that their barrels are seated kinda high in relation to your hand (high bore axis) and I greatly dislike where the slide lock is located (I hold high thumbs).

My two cents about your particular purchase: If you're gonna get a 9mm, unless it's primarily a CCW piece and you really like the single stack slimness of the 225, look at a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned, factory inspected and reconditioned) 229 or 226. They're a little over five bills online, but I think they're a better buy than the police trade-ins.

D-Man
August 29, 2007, 04:19 PM
If that's a P6 P225 (and from what's described it sounds like it) the price of $400 is a bit high.

The pros of the P225 (either P6 or regular) are the slim single stack size.

The cons of them are the heavy DA pull (can be improved upon with lighter springs but not necessarily as good as a current production Sig) and the reliability of feeding hollowpoints. From what I recall newer 'true' P225's (not the P6) should have that fixed, and other ones can get the drop-in barrels to solve it.

Anyways, take a look over on SigForum for tons of information, or go through the one Sig thread here.

Depending on your needs (carry, range, etc.), I also think a CPO is your best bet.

Moonclip
August 30, 2007, 05:57 AM
Talking about mine or Kens P225 Bam Bam 31? LOL! My P225 is not a trade in P6, got it for $300 in 2002 from a private seller. It's a very good gun but I actually like my P239 9mm better, maybe it fits my hand better but I do shoot slightly better groups with it with wider varieties of ammo. Hard to go wrong with most Sig Sauers.

$400 is not a steal but not a rip off either if in nice shape.

evan price
August 30, 2007, 07:07 AM
Gander Mountains I've been in are selling them for $347 and have usually, several to choose from. The importer electro-pencil dotted their info on the side of the slide and it looks like chyte. Otherwise, a nice gun, spare mags are spendy tho'.. Thinking about one, but waiting for GM to decide to drop them to $299 someday (maybe).

bryanZ06
August 30, 2007, 09:53 AM
I just got a P6 this past Monday. I will have to agree with everyone else about the import marks looking bad. I had been looking for a 225 after seeing one in a local shop a couple of years ago (that they wanted right at $500 for:what:). I got mine from AIM surplus for $370 as there are no Gander Mountain stores close to me. There is holster wear, but the inside of the pistol looks great. Eventually I might get it refinished, but overall I'm very happy with it.

BTW The trigger in DA mode does feel a little "rougher" than my P220.

BamBam-31
August 30, 2007, 03:26 PM
Talking about mine or Kens P225 Bam Bam 31? LOL!

Um...uh...neither? :p

col_tapiocca
August 30, 2007, 03:48 PM
I'm happy with my P225 it fits my small hand pretty well.
Not sure, but I thought if the first digit of serial# beginn with U, then it was sold to civilian market.
My P225 was a Geneva (Switzerland) police duty gun. The serial# beginns with M the six digit no.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking of getting used P225, need advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!